Help - resignation, potential constructive dismissal

Hi all,

Hoping I may get some advice, this may be a long post as it involves text messages.

My partner texted his boss last Sunday night to inform him in advance that he was suffering heat stroke and therefore unlikely that he would be in work on Monday. To which his boss responded in a very unprofessional manner (clearly not happy at the situation). So basically over night my partner was extremely stressed at the thought of missing work due to the repercussions, guilty that he wouldn't be in and also anxious if he did go in to work whilst ill.

So the initial text exchange was as follows:

From my partner
Evening dude, I'm not going to make it in to work tomorrow. I have overdone it sorting the garden and I think I have heat stroke, feeling really nauseous. I am happy to work off my stupidity.

Response from his boss
Great, thanks. I'll just f*****g work all night tomorrow then because you cant be arsed to come to work tomorrow. Standard. The old Al is slowly creeping back. Its not acceptable at all.

Next text from his boss straight away
Dont even bother replying

Now his reference to the "old Al" is because last year my partner had a few sick days last year, nothing excessive just a couple of odd days and one bout of flu that wiped him out for about 2 weeks.

I find his responses completely unprofessional and borderline bullying. My partner did respond to the message as follows (bear in mind that his boss will rarely talk to him at work about issues anyway, unless it is !!!!!ing about other staff):

How can I not respond to that message but what the hell can I reply to that message... We need to talk about this when I get back. As for now I am back of to bed, if I make a miraculous recovery overnight I will let you know.

The response from his boss was as follows:
Talking with you is pointless, you just go back to your old ways of letting VRS down by not turning up because you've been on a bender. Its a bull***t excuse and you know it. Im sick of it happening and I dont care what you think. I've bent over backwards to help you and reward you over the past few months. Your job is to come to work and work. "Overdoing it in the garden" is a f*****g bull***t excuse and you know it...Like your tattoo and all the other ones you have pulled on VRS. I suggest you sort your !!!! out and get yourself to workin the morning ready to do 8 hours of hard graft. If not we will be having a chat but it will be ME thats doing the talking!

So basically following all this he didnt respond to that message, no point in getting in to text wars and after a long discussion between us my other half sent a message the following morning saying that he was resigning with immediate effect and would be over the following evening to start sorting his toolbox out and asked his boss to remove all of his own tools from my partners toolbox (his boss was working out of my partners toolbox and using his tools). Also told him that a formal resignation letter would follow by email.

So now we are looking at putting the resignation letter together and to be honest his boss' behaviour and attitude towards him and the other workers (most of which have left, my partner is the longest serving at about 3 years) is just not acceptable and that is the reason why he feels like he cannot return to work for him....

So after the mammoth story, do you think there is a starting point for looking in to constructive dismissal?

p.s. I have edited out the swear words...

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    To which his boss responded in a very unprofessional manner (clearly not happy at the situation).So the initial text exchange was as follows:

From my partner
    Evening dude

You call the boss unprofessional, yet your partner calls his boss "dude".

Sending texts is not at all professional when it comes to informing your employer that you wont be showing up for work, especially when there is history.

Might be time to start looking for another job.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    heatstroke is every bit as self inflicted as a hangover

I'd be furious too.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Your partner is paid to turn up to work and be productive, it's not something that he pops in to if the weekend was not too stressful. Time for you partner to be professional and be available for work when he is meant to be.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Definitely feel that your partner is in the wrong. I'd be furious if somebody told me they were going to be unable to get in to work the next day for the excuse your partner made. He certainly hasn't acted in a professional way & he obviously doesn't value his job & constructive dismissal on these grounds is nonsense.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • It's obvious from the responses from 'the boss' that you partner has created problems in the past with his absences.

The references to his returning to 'the old Al' and to the tattoo (which I'm assuming also caused him to not be fit for work) etc.

Yes, the manager's words could have been more professional BUT he was on his day off and your partner interrupted that down time to tell him he'd been stupid and as a result was going to be letting the company down and giving everyone else extra work. How fair is that?

With an erratic record, to just send a text the day before to say he was presuming he wouldn't be fit for work the next day AND to start it off with the casual 'evening dude'??? If you can't see that your partner is in the wrong then you are going to have a career full of these incidents - time to learn to be more professional.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all,

Hoping I may get some advice, this may be a long post as it involves text messages.

My partner texted his boss last Sunday night to inform him in advance that he was suffering heat stroke and therefore unlikely that he would be in work on Monday. To which his boss responded in a very unprofessional manner (clearly not happy at the situation). So basically over night my partner was extremely stressed at the thought of missing work due to the repercussions, guilty that he wouldn't be in and also anxious if he did go in to work whilst ill.

So the initial text exchange was as follows:

From my partner
    Evening dude, I'm not going to make it in to work tomorrow. I have overdone it sorting the garden and I think I have heat stroke, feeling really nauseous. I am happy to work off my stupidity.

Response from his boss
    Great, thanks. I'll just f*****g work all night tomorrow then because you cant be arsed to come to work tomorrow. Standard. The old Al is slowly creeping back. Its not acceptable at all.

Next text from his boss straight away
    Dont even bother replying

Now his reference to the "old Al" is because last year my partner had a few sick days last year, nothing excessive just a couple of odd days and one bout of flu that wiped him out for about 2 weeks.

I find his responses completely unprofessional and borderline bullying. My partner did respond to the message as follows (bear in mind that his boss will rarely talk to him at work about issues anyway, unless it is !!!!!ing about other staff):

How can I not respond to that message but what the hell can I reply to that message... We need to talk about this when I get back. As for now I am back of to bed, if I make a miraculous recovery overnight I will let you know.

The response from his boss was as follows:
    Talking with you is pointless, you just go back to your old ways of letting VRS down by not turning up because you've been on a bender. Its a bull***t excuse and you know it. Im sick of it happening and I dont care what you think. I've bent over backwards to help you and reward you over the past few months. Your job is to come to work and work. "Overdoing it in the garden" is a f*****g bull***t excuse and you know it...Like your tattoo and all the other ones you have pulled on VRS. I suggest you sort your !!!! out and get yourself to workin the morning ready to do 8 hours of hard graft. If not we will be having a chat but it will be ME thats doing the talking!

So basically following all this he didnt respond to that message, no point in getting in to text wars and after a long discussion between us my other half sent a message the following morning saying that he was resigning with immediate effect and would be over the following evening to start sorting his toolbox out and asked his boss to remove all of his own tools from my partners toolbox (his boss was working out of my partners toolbox and using his tools). Also told him that a formal resignation letter would follow by email.

So now we are looking at putting the resignation letter together and to be honest his boss' behaviour and attitude towards him and the other workers (most of which have left, my partner is the longest serving at about 3 years) is just not acceptable and that is the reason why he feels like he cannot return to work for him....

So after the mammoth story, do you think there is a starting point for looking in to constructive dismissal?

p.s. I have edited out the swear words...
    Sounds like your partener and employer as bad as each other...
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The legal standard for constructive dismissal is very high. Constructive dismissal essentially means that you were forced to resign.

I'm afraid two slightly rude texts are nowhere enough to constitute constructive dismissal.

By the way, I would regard 'a couple of odd days' plus 2 weeks flu as an excessive amount of sick leave for a healthy person. If he was genuinely ill, then fair enough, but I wouldn't expect a healthy person to need sick leave more than perhaps once a year.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's obvious from the responses from 'the boss' that you partner has created problems in the past with his absences.

The references to his returning to 'the old Al' and to the tattoo (which I'm assuming also caused him to not be fit for work) etc.

Yes, the manager's words could have been more professional BUT he was on his day off and your partner interrupted that down time to tell him he'd been stupid and as a result was going to be letting the company down and giving everyone else extra work. How fair is that?

With an erratic record, to just send a text the day before to say he was presuming he wouldn't be fit for work the next day AND to start it off with the casual 'evening dude'??? If you can't see that your partner is in the wrong then you are going to have a career full of these incidents - time to learn to be more professional.

I tend to agree, the OP even mentions ' a few' sick days in previous years, which might be a way of suggesting that her partner had a bit of a habit with duvet days previously and it's catching up with him now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • John_Jones
    John_Jones Posts: 208 Forumite
    If, as the messages imply, your partner has a bit of a history of having days off when he was not really sick, or possibly with self-inflicted issues then it is understandable that the boss is upset.

As others have said, the bar for constructive dismissal is very high, and this does not sound as though it gets close.

I used to have to be at my desk for 06:40 in a job where being out late drinking was a big part of the culture. On the first day it was explained to me that no matter how badly I had misjudged it, I had to come in. If I was subsequently incapable of work then no-one would blame me for going home, but arriving was paramount. Maybe your partner could try this approach.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What temperature did your partner measure he had to establish he had heatstroke?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/heat-exhaustion-heatstroke/

After 30 mins rest and some re-hydration he should have been OK so fine to go to work the next day.

Absolutely no chance of constructive dismissal based on the info in the OP.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure