Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • john240870
    • By john240870 9th Oct 19, 3:46 PM
    • 133Posts
    • 19Thanks
    john240870
    What's happened to Samsung laptop
    • 9th Oct 19, 3:46 PM
    What's happened to Samsung laptop 9th Oct 19 at 3:46 PM
    Hi all was on laptop earlier and popped out came back and now this is showing any ideas. ive tried to exit but just comes back. Hope the link works.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b8sh-kvg8mx777OPIohjRlJ6LaAtljPW/view?usp=drivesdk
Page 5
    • john240870
    • By john240870 17th Oct 19, 4:42 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    So back to where it was originally but it works fine with the HDD?

We need to find out why it works with the HDD, but not with the SSD. If the SSD is faulty, you can return it.
    If it's fine, we can run a test install of Windows 10 to it, so you can try it out.
    If you don't like it, you can re-install 8.1 Update 3 to it.

You can start by creating the Windows 10 installation media with the USB Flash drive.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Hi when I download the Windows 10 installation media it down loads it on to the computer is that correct? As you said download it onto USB Flash drive. Do I just copy it over to the flash drive. Thanks
    • john240870
    • By john240870 17th Oct 19, 4:46 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    Just read this

If you are installing Windows 10 on a PC running Windows XP or Windows Vista, or if you need to create installation media to install Windows 10 on a different PC, see Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC section below.

This is not me do I still need the installation media?
    • john240870
    • By john240870 17th Oct 19, 4:58 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    Thanks im doing this on the Samsung laptop. not a different laptop. Is that correct?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 17th Oct 19, 4:58 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Visit www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    Click Download Tool Now.
    Save the Application.
    Plug your USB Flash Drive into the PC where you saved the application.
    Run the Application.
    Accept the EULA
    Select Create installation media for another PC and click Next.
    Choose the correct settings for your version of Windows 10
    Language (Country)
    Windows 10
    64-bit (x64)
    Click Next.
    Select USB Flash Drive and click Next.
    Select the Flash Drive and click Next.
    Allow the application to complete. You will be prompted when it is finished and has successfully created the bootable drive.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 17th Oct 19, 4:59 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Makes no difference as to on which you do it.
    • john240870
    • By john240870 17th Oct 19, 5:04 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    Its says We can't find a USB Flash Drive even though its plugged in?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 17th Oct 19, 6:15 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Its says We can't find a USB Flash Drive even though its plugged in?
    Originally posted by john240870
    Try plugging the drive into another port. Are you selecting the correct Drive letter, if it isn't pre-selected?
    • john240870
    • By john240870 17th Oct 19, 6:54 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    im good lol
    Its downloading as we speak
    • john240870
    • By john240870 17th Oct 19, 7:59 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    As ive said before when I plug the SSD it comes up with 2 drives. One say system reserved (E) and the other one says Local Disk (F) F drive has all my docs on. What I want to do is copy everything over onto my HDD in my laptop and then wipe the SSD ready to take the new window 10. how do I copy the whole SSD. And do I have to do F and E.
    I can click and drag into C drive is this the correct way to do it.
    Last edited by john240870; 17-10-2019 at 8:01 PM.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 17th Oct 19, 9:47 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    As ive said before when I plug the SSD it comes up with 2 drives. One say system reserved (E) and the other one says Local Disk (F) F drive has all my docs on. What I want to do is copy everything over onto my HDD in my laptop and then wipe the SSD ready to take the new window 10. how do I copy the whole SSD. And do I have to do F and E.
    I can click and drag into C drive is this the correct way to do it.
    You don't need anything that is on E:

No you cannot just copy over all of the content and expect it to work exactly as before.
    If you want to do that you can clone the SSD to the HDD(if the image is not corrupt).
    But then if there is a problem with the cloning, you will have overwritten everything that was on the HDD and will then have no working options.

You gave the impression that you had already copied over everything that you wanted to keep.
    • john240870
    • By john240870 17th Oct 19, 10:21 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    You don't need anything that is on E:

No you cannot just copy over all of the content and expect it to work exactly as before.
    If you want to do that you can clone the SSD to the HDD(if the image is not corrupt).
    But then if there is a problem with the cloning, you will have overwritten everything that was on the HDD and will then have no working options.

You gave the impression that you had already copied over everything that you wanted to keep.
    No not yet. I said found all the files think i'll leave them on the SSD ad just use it as a removal able hard drive. But as you said the HDD maybe a little slow so thought i would use the SSD again.
    • john240870
    • By john240870 17th Oct 19, 10:33 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    Windows 10 installation media downloaded and saved onto USB Flash Drive.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 17th Oct 19, 11:08 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Windows 10 installation media downloaded and saved onto USB Flash Drive.
    Not quite. You have created installation media on the USB drive. Downloaded and saved means downloaded and saved.

We'll swap drives and get started once you are happy that you have made backups of the data that you wish to keep.
    • john240870
    • By john240870 18th Oct 19, 9:36 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    Not quite. You have created installation media on the USB drive. Downloaded and saved means downloaded and saved.

We'll swap drives and get started once you are happy that you have made backups of the data that you wish to keep.
    So what's the easiest way of copying everything from SSD to HDD. As HDD is much bigger than the SSD so thought if I just copy everything over. then once the SSD is working I can copy things over as and when I need them, as the SSD is quite small. So only what to copy things over if I need them.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th Oct 19, 11:41 AM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    So what's the easiest way of copying everything from SSD to HDD. As HDD is much bigger than the SSD so thought if I just copy everything over. then once the SSD is working I can copy things over as and when I need them, as the SSD is quite small. So only what to copy things over if I need them.
    grumpycrab informed you, in post #64
    • john240870
    • By john240870 18th Oct 19, 9:26 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    Right I believe ive copied everything needed. Can't believe I had so much rubbish on there. No wonder I was running out of room lol.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 19th Oct 19, 12:35 AM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Right I believe ive copied everything needed. Can't believe I had so much rubbish on there. No wonder I was running out of room lol.
    So next we hope that we can install to your SSD(replace it within the laptop).

Then you plug the installation media on the USB into the right hand side of the laptop. Restart the laptop and then keep pressing the F10 key every half a second, until you see a Boot Menu.
    From the Boot Menu choose the USB Flash Drive if you can see it there.

If you cannot see it, try this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiIGwsEYB18
    • john240870
    • By john240870 19th Oct 19, 5:04 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    Hi it's asking which type of installation do you want upgrade or custom
    What happens to all the stuff already on SSD will that get deleted.
    • john240870
    • By john240870 19th Oct 19, 5:16 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    Hi clicked on upgrade and it said can't do upgrade from USB. So clicked custom
    But now it says Windows can't be installed on drive 0 partition 1 and when i click on the over one it says the same with that drive. Do I need to format the drive first. At the bottom of the page it says
    Refresh
    Delete
    Format
    New
    Load driver
    Extend
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 19th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Hi it's asking which type of installation do you want upgrade or custom
    What happens to all the stuff already on SSD will that get deleted.
    Custom (All will be deleted)
    and then choose to delete all former partitions

Until you have only Unallocated Space

Then you can choose Next(not New as shown in the pic)

During installation; https://fdossena.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1903.frag

You can stop before; LET IT DOWNLOAD ALL THE UPDATES
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,298Posts Today

6,927Users online

Martin's Twitter