Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • john240870
    • By john240870 9th Oct 19, 3:46 PM
    • 133Posts
    • 19Thanks
    john240870
    What's happened to Samsung laptop
    • 9th Oct 19, 3:46 PM
    What's happened to Samsung laptop 9th Oct 19 at 3:46 PM
    Hi all was on laptop earlier and popped out came back and now this is showing any ideas. ive tried to exit but just comes back. Hope the link works.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b8sh-kvg8mx777OPIohjRlJ6LaAtljPW/view?usp=drivesdk
Page 3
    • carl1974
    • By carl1974 9th Oct 19, 11:23 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    carl1974
    Doesnt sound good like the previous poster said no moving parts so if something is clicking may more than the battery was dropped think you need to speak with your offspring...! feel free to pm me for further info/troubleshooting
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 9th Oct 19, 11:29 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Doesnt sound good like the previous poster said no moving parts so if something is clicking may more than the battery was dropped think you need to speak with your offspring...! feel free to pm me for further info/troubleshooting
    Originally posted by carl1974
    Why would they need to PM you?
    • that
    • By that 10th Oct 19, 2:12 AM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    that
    what I would do is remove the battery, mains power too, remove the ssd, Then hold the power button down in an attempt to discharge everything.

I would then not put the battery back, but use mains.

I'd probably not in the first instance put the ssd back and then switch it on and wait. If it works and becomes responsive to the keyboard would then put the ssd back in

Think something else is clicking?
    Originally posted by that
    Have you done this? Please note with no ssd, it may take longer to start up due to it timing out, think the time to wait will be under 5 mins.

To be honest i am asking myself was the laptop switched on when the battery dropped out? was the laptop running off battery at that time? Did the battery on losing connection spark and either fry or corrupt something?

if you had a keyboard an a screen, possibly putting it on could be beneficial as the screen should hopefully not be pink, and the external keyboard may work.?

since there is no model number, and looking through your old posts, is this a samsung chromebook, or a real laptop?
    Last edited by that; 10-10-2019 at 2:22 AM.
    • carl1974
    • By carl1974 10th Oct 19, 12:23 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    carl1974
    Why would they need to PM you?
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Just offering assistance
    IT Support
    facebook.com/ckcomser
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 10th Oct 19, 12:44 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Just offering assistance
    Originally posted by carl1974
    So assist on the open forum, so that others can benefit from the correct solution, as I have.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 10th Oct 19, 12:55 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Have you done this? Please note with no ssd, it may take longer to start up due to it timing out, think the time to wait will be under 5 mins.

To be honest i am asking myself was the laptop switched on when the battery dropped out? was the laptop running off battery at that time? Did the battery on losing connection spark and either fry or corrupt something?

if you had a keyboard an a screen, possibly putting it on could be beneficial as the screen should hopefully not be pink, and the external keyboard may work.?

since there is no model number, and looking through your old posts, is this a samsung chromebook, or a real laptop?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6057066#13
    • carl1974
    • By carl1974 10th Oct 19, 1:53 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    carl1974
    So assist on the open forum, so that others can benefit from the correct solution, as I have.
    Yes sir .....
    IT Support
    facebook.com/ckcomser
    • john240870
    • By john240870 10th Oct 19, 4:50 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870

please see post 13 and this is a real laptop lol
    • john240870
    • By john240870 10th Oct 19, 4:52 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    Hi all thanks for all you help so far its still pink so changed the setting back and it now like the first pic. Think im going to have to take it to the shop to have a look (more money).
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 10th Oct 19, 5:27 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Hi all thanks for all you help so far its still pink so changed the setting back and it now like the first pic. Think im going to have to take it to the shop to have a look (more money).
    Originally posted by john240870
    I already told you what to do. Taking it to a shop is likely to be a waste of money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-2-5-Inch-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-SATA-HDD-SSD-Caddy-Case-For-LAPTOP-PC-UK/233311294096
    • john240870
    • By john240870 10th Oct 19, 5:55 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    I already told you what to do. Taking it to a shop is likely to be a waste of money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-2-5-Inch-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-SATA-HDD-SSD-Caddy-Case-For-LAPTOP-PC-UK/233311294096
    Hi thanks I understand taking it to a shop is a waste of money but im completely a IT idiot and don't know what im doing. i need to try and get all the data of this ssd and on to a new one i have the old hdd. Will I be able to take out the ssd and plug the hdd in will it come straight on or will I need to change settings?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 10th Oct 19, 6:04 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Hi thanks I understand taking it to a shop is a waste of money but im completely a IT idiot and don't know what im doing. i need to try and get all the data of this ssd and on to a new one i have the old hdd. Will I be able to take out the ssd and plug the hdd in will it come straight on or will I need to change settings?
    Is that the only laptop/PC you have at your disposal? Buy the caddy, Put SSD in caddy. Plug caddy in to any laptop/PC. copy any data that you wish to keep.

Then you can try to install Windows 10 in Legacy Mode. No more UEFI. So take it out of UEFI Mode and leave it out of UEFI Mode.

Hopefully that will do the trick.

If you have nothing on the SSD that you wish to save, then you can skip the caddy and just create installation media. Then to install Windows 10 to the SSD, deleting all of the old partitions during the install.

Will be on hand to guide you through if necessary.
    • john240870
    • By john240870 10th Oct 19, 6:27 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    Is that the only laptop/PC you have at your disposal? Buy the caddy, Put SSD in caddy. Plug caddy in to any laptop/PC. copy any data that you wish to keep.

Then you can try to install Windows 10 in Legacy Mode. No more UEFI. So take it out of UEFI Mode and leave it out of UEFI Mode.

Hopefully that will do the trick.

If you have nothing on the SSD that you wish to save, then you can skip the caddy and just create installation media. Then to install Windows 10 to the SSD, deleting all of the old partitions during the install.

Will be on hand to guide you through if necessary.
    Hi thanks for your help How do I do this. create installation media. Then to install Windows 10 to the SSD. I was running window 8. Also it sounds like the ssd is faulty so how can I get the info of it. Sorry for being a complete thicko.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 10th Oct 19, 10:27 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Hi thanks for your help How do I do this. create installation media. Then to install Windows 10 to the SSD. I was running window 8. Also it sounds like the ssd is faulty so how can I get the info of it. Sorry for being a complete thicko.
    Have you got access to another PC/laptop? You'll also need a USB Flash drive of at least 8GB in capacity.

You can reinstall Windows 8.1 Update 3 or move over to Windows 10.

Windows 8.1 Update 3 here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8ISO

Windows 10 version 1903 here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Alternatively you can utilise Rufus; https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.8/rufus-3.8.exe
    https://www.ghacks.net/2019/03/18/rufus-3-5-with-windows-10-and-8-1-download-option/

In this case, under Partition Scheme, you would choose MBR from the dropdown list.

I suggest moving to Windows 10 at this stage, as hopefully you won't need to concern yourself with the installation of Drivers.

You should also disable Fast Boot;

in addition to Secure Boot, if you have not already done so;

and enable CSM. But I guess that you have already done so.

We don't know if the SSD is faulty. It could be that the battery falling out triggered a crash dump to the NVRAM, as described in The Register.

Since Samsung doesn't supply firmware updates on their own, there is no easy way to run a BIOS recovery. So hopefully instead of UEFI/GPT, you can utilise CSM/MBR to install the operating system.
    • john240870
    • By john240870 11th Oct 19, 9:41 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    Have you got access to another PC/laptop? You'll also need a USB Flash drive of at least 8GB in capacity.

You can reinstall Windows 8.1 Update 3 or move over to Windows 10.

Windows 8.1 Update 3 here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8ISO

Windows 10 version 1903 here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Alternatively you can utilise Rufus; https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.8/rufus-3.8.exe
    https://www.ghacks.net/2019/03/18/rufus-3-5-with-windows-10-and-8-1-download-option/

In this case, under Partition Scheme, you would choose MBR from the dropdown list.

I suggest moving to Windows 10 at this stage, as hopefully you won't need to concern yourself with the installation of Drivers.

You should also disable Fast Boot;

in addition to Secure Boot, if you have not already done so;

and enable CSM. But I guess that you have already done so.

We don't know if the SSD is faulty. It could be that the battery falling out triggered a crash dump to the NVRAM, as described in The Register.

Since Samsung doesn't supply firmware updates on their own, there is no easy way to run a BIOS recovery. So hopefully instead of UEFI/GPT, you can utilise CSM/MBR to install the operating system.
    Hi Iam now back on the Samsung laptop I took out the SSD and put in the old HDD in and its all working. But there is nothing on the HDD just windows 8 what's the best way of copying everything from the SSD to the HDD every thing was on the HDD and was copied over on to the SSD I would of thought everything stayed on the HDD but sadly not.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 11th Oct 19, 9:53 AM
    • 4,331 Posts
    • 2,093 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Hi Iam now back on the Samsung laptop I took out the SSD and put in the old HDD in and its all working. But there is nothing on the HDD just windows 8 ...every thing was on the HDD and was copied over on to the SSD I would of thought everything stayed on the HDD but sadly not.
    Perhaps you moved (rather than copied) stuff from HDD to SSD?

what's the best way of copying everything from the SSD to the HDD
    Use a caddy ->
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 11-10-2019 at 9:56 AM.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • john240870
    • By john240870 11th Oct 19, 10:21 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870

Hi Ive just bought this. Lets hope its easy to swap the info over. I will need babysitting to sort the transfer over. So will be back when it arrives.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Oct 19, 11:52 AM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Hi Ive just bought this. Lets hope its easy to swap the info over. I will need babysitting to sort the transfer over. So will be back when it arrives.
    If you can access the data at all, it would mean that the SSD is still working. So after saving the data you need, you can then just reinstall Windows 10 to it.
    If you cannot access the data at all and it turns out that the SSD has failed, you can return it for replacement. It has a five year warranty.
    Returning to a slow HDD won't be much fun.
    • john240870
    • By john240870 14th Oct 19, 3:20 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    john240870
    Its arrived.
    As I have the Samsung laptop up and running can I plug it into this computer? To hopefully copy everything over. Fingers crossed.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 14th Oct 19, 3:55 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Its arrived.
    As I have the Samsung laptop up and running can I plug it into this computer? To hopefully copy everything over. Fingers crossed.
    Have you fitted the SSD within the cady?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,866Posts Today

7,977Users online

Martin's Twitter