Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pokerking
    • By Pokerking 7th Sep 19, 10:53 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Pokerking
    Three Mobile Broadband
    • 7th Sep 19, 10:53 AM
    Three Mobile Broadband 7th Sep 19 at 10:53 AM
    Hi

I currently have VM 200M service and pay an extortionate amount its £43 PM now my contract has ended I am finding it hard to find a good deal without the need of a £17 phone line (((is this like some sort of TV license tax where you dont have a choice?)))) Having to pay for a phone line I dont need I have stumbled across Three's AI cube 4G broadband for £25PM with quoted LTE speeds of 300Mbit/s I have orded it just to check before I fully remove VM Broadband.

However I have done a speedtest at home with EE 4G and 02 4G none LTE connection and get a rather poor 20Mbps down and 3Mbps upload so it may not look good.

Anybody have one of these? Ill return it if I get the above speeds.
Page 2
    • tberry6686
    • By tberry6686 17th Sep 19, 12:35 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    tberry6686
    Anyone know how to test the speed on a mobile (Iphone). I'm interested in getting mobile broadband in my house but don't want to spend money on a box and then find it is to slow
    • Speedbird676
    • By Speedbird676 17th Sep 19, 12:41 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Speedbird676
    Download the Ookla Speedtest app.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 17th Sep 19, 1:12 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 1,527 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Anyone know how to test the speed on a mobile (Iphone). I'm interested in getting mobile broadband in my house but don't want to spend money on a box and then find it is to slow
    Originally posted by tberry6686
    https://testmy.net
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 17th Sep 19, 1:51 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    anactuary
    https://speedof.me
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 17th Sep 19, 3:17 PM
    • 8,760 Posts
    • 5,487 Thanks
    buglawton
    I am on the same path! Was testing three in places I use mobile as thinking of switching to take advantage of go roam in the States. This is when I discovered three 4g gave me a reliable 80-120 Mbs anywhere in the house. I then discovered three 4G home broadband deals for existing customers £18pm for unlimited data and an upgrade router (not the Alexa speaker-£16 for the basic router. This is pretty favourable to my current NowTV deal at 30Mbs for £25pm. That is due to end next month

We do stream never in 4K and almost never more than one HD stream. We donít game so from what Iím reading three would suit me well and be a nice saving, plus I could actually take it with me in the UK and even overseas (they allow up to 12 Gb on go roam on unlimited plans)

Is there a possible downside Iím missing?
    Originally posted by Mickiemice
    One downside is you'll be locked into a new multi month contract this time with Three. An alternative option is buy a separate 4G router and get a monthly rolling contract with Smarty. Deals pop up from £17.50/month. Also a router that is properly powerful for a house (not the smart speaker ones for sure) will be a bit clunky for travel.
    • Mickiemice
    • By Mickiemice 18th Sep 19, 6:54 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mickiemice
    One downside is you'll be locked into a new multi month contract this time with Three. An alternative option is buy a separate 4G router and get a monthly rolling contract with Smarty. Deals pop up from £17.50/month. Also a router that is properly powerful for a house (not the smart speaker ones for sure) will be a bit clunky for travel.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    Good point I think itís a two year lock-in (although one month is an option at £79 upfront and £18 a month) Its quite a long lock in particularly for mobile broadband which might work fine now but maybe more flakey in 6 months time. Have to offset that against the cost of a router or a rolling one month deal from three.

Can anyone recommend a good 4g router I could buy instead and does anyone know if the three ones are unlocked-or dies no one lock a router to their network?

I probably would never use it for travelling but itís an option if ever needed and I could always put the sim in a MiFi device if I wanted to
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 19th Sep 19, 6:00 PM
    • 3,339 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    Cisco001
    Huawei B525
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Unlocked-300Mbps-mobile-Router/dp/B06ZZL966Q
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,441Posts Today

7,035Users online

Martin's Twitter