Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Xbert
    Target price for domestic heating oil
    • 1st Feb 05, 5:09 PM
    Target price for domestic heating oil 1st Feb 05 at 5:09 PM
    Insert From Martin

Where to find the cheapest fuel oil isn't easy. While gas & electricity price comparison services are common place, the same isn't true for fuel-oiled heating.

The discussion that follows is a merger or two that contained much information. The answer seems to be 'get lots of quotes, and don't believe the hype'.

In the third message of this discussion you will see a list of comparison sites, and then in the sixth a press release from a newly launched company. Please do enter the discussion, hopefully together as collective MoneySavers we'll find a solution.

Our fully researched Cheap Heating Oil guide may also be helpful.

Martin

Original Post below....

I posted this first in the 'I wanna ..' forum, this looks more appropriate.
    First price is 24p/litre last week in Cornwall. I'm going to start getting some quotes for myself. If people think it's useful I'll put them up here. I know the suppliers respond to the spot market for oil, but at least some idea of what the going rate is might be useful to somebody, somewhere!

Quotes will be for 1000 litres of standard 28ps heating oil, excluding VAT.

Target price for domestic heating oil
    Does anybody know where to find target prices for domestic heating oil (1000 litres of 28ps)? It's pretty unrewarding phoning around all the distrbutors and the boilerjuice and greenwelly (yes really!) websites both returned prices that were worse than I could get straight off the bat.
    It's hard to believe that in this day and age of consumer regulation up the Ying-Yang there appears to be none that applies to heating oil.

Thanks.

First post so please be gentle with me!
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 19-02-2014 at 1:14 PM.
Page 4
  • ScottyB
    Slight amendment to our guide
    Hi,

A while back I gave a link to our guide to buying oil, it's actually:

http://www.oilpricecheck.co.uk/oil.htm

I see that prices are looking like rising again with the new unrest in the Middle East

Thanks
    Scott
    info@oilpricecheck.co.uk
    http://www.oilpricecheck.co.uk
    • Thefunkygibbons
    • By Thefunkygibbons 7th Sep 06, 2:55 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    Thefunkygibbons
    I have waited all summer and no movement at all

Looks like we will never see the prices we had 18 months ago ever again

:-(
  • Poppet
    Can any one help me? I use my compuer approx 10 hrs a day or more and I was told it is expensive to keep on all time, is this true? And can you help by letting me know how much it may cost?
    • smartiepants
    • By smartiepants 8th Sep 06, 10:03 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    smartiepants
    Hi Poppet, I think you may have posted your question in the wrong place as this topic is related to heating oil prices, perhaps you would be better asking your question on the techie or gas and electric forums, not sure if this is the right place though.
    I hope this helps you. xxxx
    Make it happen (old signature)

Making it happen (NEW Signature Jan 2009)
  • adw
    Hi we have just paid 29p ltr through tankfiller.co.uk and only had to have 800ltrs. There may be better deals if you buy more but we didn't have the cash:rolleyes:
    • smartiepants
    • By smartiepants 13th Dec 06, 8:44 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    smartiepants
    I again shopped round as per my post No. 60, and managed to price haggle with Emo Oil for 1500 litres @ 29.95ppl. I could have got it slightly cheaper with one of the others, but we still have an account with Emo, and we are unbeleivably in credit (274.00), so decided to order with them for that reason, and the fact that we have actually run out of oil ( lots of legitimate reasons why) and they were the quickest delivery.
    Hope that this information helps someone. xx

• mfs
    Do you all get your boilers serviced annually? This will mean that they run efficiently and therefore use less fuel.
  • mattt44
    I don't get mine serviced annually, I know I should, but it seems to be working fine.

We filled up with 1000 litres middle of last month. Got a quote from boilerjuice of 27.4 I think. Yobco couldn't match it. Rang a local supplier my next door neighbour uses, he needed 2000 litres as well and we all got it for 26.4, I think he may have been slightly less because he had more.

You have got to just screw them into the ground, I hate doing it, but it is the only way.

The delivery driver said he thought it was unusally cheap.
  • agal
    I don't get mine serviced annually, I know I should, but it seems to be working fine.
    by mattt44
    Yes, but how much extra oil are you using each year that you don't get it serviced, 5%, 10%? I don't know the figure but it probably negates all your good "negotiating" work in buying the oil at a cheaper price.
  • oscardog
    On the subject of let us say "fluctuating" oil prices. Through the medium of our local village magazine here in North Essex, we have formed a syndicate which is growing fast but we get a delivery every 1/4 and as long as we all need over 450l we get a top up at discount rate. Last time, we saved 6p per litre which was a decent saving when buying 1000l.

I would recommend any village / group does the same. I coord our syndicate with an email every month to check levels and confirm next delivery date. The oil company holds all payment details and bills seperately. Everyone wins and the oil coy is prepared to only make 0.5p per litre profit as a result. Our last order delivered 8500l and if we ever get to 50000l the coy will reduce the price even further.

For those of us with Agas / Rayburns who fill oil tanks three times a year, it should save us around £180 - not to be scoffed at.
  • mattt44
    Yes, but how much extra oil are you using each year that you don't get it serviced, 5%, 10%? I don't know the figure but it probably negates all your good "negotiating" work in buying the oil at a cheaper price.
    by agal
    Well obviously I don't know, but we are using around 1200 litres a year of oil, which is about £320 a year, how much does a service cost? £70? Just a guess, but that would be 22% extra a year on our oil bill.

In fact the longer we have had our new boiler, 3 years now, the less oil we seem to use.

We have also just got a woodburner, so won't use it so much the rest of the winter. And we have gas detectors around, so I'm not worried about that side of it.
    Looking at the seemingly limited life of new boilers, around 10 years expected I believe because of the electronics, it seems better to start saving for the next one.

I will have it serviced this summer, but I bet not much needs doing to it.
  • agal
    My last service cost me 35.
    • wurley
    • By wurley 24th Feb 07, 5:11 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    wurley
    Use boiler juice to find the average rate for 2000L.... Call your favourite supplier (customer service counts for something) And get them to quote you.... Take off 0.5p off the boiler juice cheapest and get them to match it. Sometimes they'll match and sometimes they'll beat it... Worked for me so far. I tend to buy 1000L at a time. Yes I know not technically working as a co-op but we are all 'money saving experts'
  • mattt44
    My last service cost me 35.
    by agal
    That sounds cheap to me, but then I don't know. I bet if I rang up a company round here it would be nearer 80.

Any engineers around that would like to give their expert advice?
    Do boilers really need servicing every year.
  • Dolhaidd
    On the subject of let us say "fluctuating" oil prices. Through the medium of our local village magazine here in North Essex, we have formed a syndicate which is growing fast but we get a delivery every 1/4 and as long as we all need over 450l we get a top up at discount rate. Last time, we saved 6p per litre which was a decent saving when buying 1000l.

I would recommend any village / group does the same. I coord our syndicate with an email every month to check levels and confirm next delivery date. The oil company holds all payment details and bills seperately. Everyone wins and the oil coy is prepared to only make 0.5p per litre profit as a result. Our last order delivered 8500l and if we ever get to 50000l the coy will reduce the price even further.

For those of us with Agas / Rayburns who fill oil tanks three times a year, it should save us around £180 - not to be scoffed at.
    by oscardog
    Do you have a group agreement in writing or anything. How many households do you have in your group? We use loads of oil ourselves in our aga and boiler (about 6000litres p/a), so a saving of any percentage would be a chunk of cash.
  • Dolhaidd
    That sounds cheap to me, but then I don't know. I bet if I rang up a company round here it would be nearer 80.

Any engineers around that would like to give their expert advice?
    Do boilers really need servicing every year.
    by mattt44
    I'm no expert in boilers, although I think they get pretty sooted up after a while. Our AGA needs servicing every 6-9 months (most of which I do myself). The inlet pipe becomes clogged with carbon and becomes entirely bocked if left long enough. Simple but laborious fix.
  • yorkshireman1
    Heating Oil
    Hi,

Thought I would add my two pence worth to this conversation, becasue I have just saved that amount per litre at www.heatingoil.co.uk !!

I have been a boilerjuice customer for a long time, because I've found them cheaper than ringing around the different companies and reliable (most of the time), but not anymore! I've placed two orders on this new website now, and i've saved an estimated 60 with them on my two 1500l orders, compared to what i would have paid with boilerjuice.

I was a little sceptical using a website i hadnt heard of before, but I've had no problems. The option to specify your delivery date, is also useful becasue it means I can plan my delivery around my week, rarther than the planning my week around my delivery!

I would reccomend it! And i know Yorkshiremen are suppose to be tight...but i reckon that 60 in my pocket is better than 60 in an oil companies. Have a look anyway!
    • smartiepants
    • By smartiepants 17th Mar 07, 9:33 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    smartiepants
    Thanks Yorkshireman1, that certainly looks a bit cheaper if you don't want immediate delivery.
    xxxx

• muffindell
    electric/oil supplies
    I have just moved into the Staffordshire area near Stone. It's the first time that I have had to buy oil, since I have always lived within a mains gas supply area. I needed to fill the tank quickly and just phoned the supplier named on the tank, they seem to supply most of the village. I think that I paid about 30p per ltr inc vat at the begining of April which seems high based on what I have read on here. Next time I will use some of the search engines suggested to see if I can get a lower price. In the mean time how do I get the cheapest electricity (British gas supplies at the mo) considering that this house is much bigger than my last one, I don't have a clue how much that I will use in a year and I can't get a dual fuel discount since oil heats the house?
    • smartiepants
    • By smartiepants 25th Apr 07, 6:12 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    smartiepants
    Here you go! try this link to Martins page on getting cheaper electricity.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1103281560,22751,

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,886Posts Today

8,327Users online

Martin's Twitter