Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lorweld
    • By lorweld 22nd Jan 09, 9:40 AM
    • 5,103Posts
    • 131,334Thanks
    lorweld
    0 WOW
    Ryanair - Comments & Feedback Thread
    • 22nd Jan 09, 9:40 AM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair - Comments & Feedback Thread 22nd Jan 09 at 9:40 AM
    Please use this thread for feedback and comments related to the budget airline "Ryanair".

Any new threads of this nature started from this point on will be merged to keep other threads from sinking down the Travel board.

If anyone spots a thread that needs to be merged but has been missed, feel free to send one of the BG's a PM.
    Last edited by lorweld; 08-02-2009 at 9:12 PM.
Page 3
  • BusinessStudent
    I've flown with Ryanair four times his month and have never experienced any problems using their online checkin. Every flight I've been on has always been on time too :-D
    Last edited by BusinessStudent; 30-01-2009 at 9:00 PM.
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 30th Jan 09, 8:56 PM
    • 4,350 Posts
    • 3,268 Thanks
    stoneman
    This just doesn't make sence. As it was a U.K. internal flight you don't need your passport, just some proper I.D. I assume that because they checked in on line and had boarding cards with them their first stop would have been passport control, nothing to do with Ryanair, were they allowed through? Do I understand that as you say the "gate" it was when they were just about to board the plane thst they were refused. I have never done on line check in with them, is it a stipulation that your passport number has to be on the boarding card?
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • BusinessStudent
    I've been to Belfast, Rome, Krakow and Berlin with Ryanair and have had no problems with them at all! I love the "Ryanair scrum" - whereby passengers run to the plane in order to get a seat
  • dmg24
    If they had gone to the Ryanair desk, they would/ should have reprinted the passes. Saying that, I flew with them myself two weeks ago, and have done online check in for someone for three return flights in the past month, and not had a problem.
  • dmg24
    I've been to Belfast, Rome, Krakow and Berlin with Ryanair and have had no problems with them at all! I love the "Ryanair scrum" - whereby passengers run to the plane in order to get a seat
    Originally posted by BusinessStudent
    I just misread that as 'Ryanair scum'!
  • poppie123
    We had a problem with our printed online check in bit of paper coming back from Dublin. They would not scan going through security because the ink was too dark.
    It wasn't a problem though we were told to go to the ryan air desk and they would just print off boarding cards which they did.
  • SpecialK84
    Thanks for all your replies guys, this really did happen!

I know you shouldn't need a passport for UK flights (I am a frquent flyer to Edinburgh with Easyjet and have never had any problems!), but apparently Ryan Air just like to be different. On the terms and conditions that come through with the confirmation number it doesn't specify that you need to have passport details on your printed boarding pass (only indicates requirements for travelling to Spain).

With the printed online boarding passes they have a barcode that is scanned going through security - they had no problems there! It was only actually at the boarding gates where they were refused by to fly by the Ryan Air staff (like I said they weren't the only ones refused!). It didn't seem to matter that they both had their passports with them.

They were told that that they could've got the boarding passes reprinted at the Ryan Air desk prior to security, but as the flight was already 1 hour late, they weren't given any opportunity to do this and were point blank refused.

The internet support contact I called said that the passes shouldn't have been printed without the details (as with most internet pages if the necessary fields have not been completed you are not able to proceed), but as the details were actually entered the passes still printed, it was just an error in the system resulted in the details not being captured !
  • nico26
    We had a problem with our printed online check in bit of paper coming back from Dublin. They would not scan going through security because the ink was too dark.
    It wasn't a problem though we were told to go to the ryan air desk and they would just print off boarding cards which they did.
    Originally posted by poppie123
    Ive had this problem as well the scanner cannot read the pass and had to go back to check in but they printed it out again for me..Security told me to go a fast track desk then to recheck as I'd already waited 20mins . So should not have been a problem to get reprinted.This was at Stanstead.
  • SpecialK84
    There wasn't a problem at security! Everthing was fine. It was just at the boarding gate. Could not get pass re printed as plane was 1 hour late and check in had closed.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 30th Jan 09, 11:33 PM
    • 19,061 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    richardw
    Perhaps there should be an option to generate the pass as a pdf file.
    • TimothyEBaldwin
    • By TimothyEBaldwin 31st Jan 09, 1:21 AM
    • 441 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    TimothyEBaldwin
    For all of my trips for which a Ryanair route is plausible I did look at what it would cost to fly:

Selby - Barcelona depart 21st June 2006 returning 1st July 2006, Train fare 332.50 booked 10 days in advance. I don't recall what the air fare was, but a journey booked now with Ryanair (in Winter) on the same days of the week costs 303.43, when travel to/from the airport and additional accommodation is included.

York - Berlin return, Train fare 200 a few weeks in advance. Ryanair had the cheapest flights, but with train + bus fare to East Midlands Airport and a night in an airport hotel came to more than 200.

Glasgow - London, Ryanair was the cheapest airline with a 10 fare. But with an extra night's accommodation would cost about 20, and Ryanair's flight would not fit in the avaible time. The sleeper train fare was 29 from First Scotrail.

Selby - Berlin return, departing Boxing Day arriving by 9am 27th December. I found no flights to Berlin reachable by public transport from places near Selby.

York - Berlin, departing Christmas Eve after a Christmas Party, No flight from UK reachable by public transport found.

Summary: Trains: 4, Train + National Express Coach 1, Airlines 0

For the hypothetical journeys by a UK tourist with time to visit Paris (and Milian) on-route, Oxenholme Lake District Station - Barcelona and London - Bari, Ryanair also loses to the trains.
    • Hagar_uk
    • By Hagar_uk 31st Jan 09, 10:16 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Hagar_uk
    The trick to flying with ryanair is knowing what to expect.
    If you know in advance they will:

Ttry and exctract money from you for everything
    that the flight will be safe but annoying.
    that you will fly an airfiled no where near the city you want

Then you can not be disappointed when you get that service.

I fly with ryan a fair amount, not usually for the price, but usually flight times and location ( I have often found the odd locations they fly to have been of benefit)

While I agree with most people that you get what you pay for. The lack of provision if things go wrong is scary, Your 1p flight may cost you 600+ if they cancel the flight andyou don't want to hang around at the airport for the next 5 days waiting for the next flight
  • Strapped
    They're fine if you are able-bodied but if you need, for example, oxygen on the flight it works out cheaper to book with one of the big carriers.

ETA: In case of interest to anyone, BA and Virgin provide O2 free of charge. RyanAir charge 100. EasyJet, surprisingly, allow you to take your own cylinders (most carriers do not although some will allow a POC).
    Last edited by Strapped; 31-01-2009 at 12:29 PM.
  • nico26
    I use ryanair for travel to murcia. Prestwick 10 mins from home. Flight in 2 weeks time to Murcia. 55 return and much nearer to my destination than Alicante
    One way by taxi to Glasgow airport to catch the early Globespan to Alicante 50 plus fare.No comparison really.If you get them at the right price.

As hagar says know what to expect.Be prepared if anything goes wrong. I used to check alternate flight options before I left just in case I got stranded along the way.
  • topher
    Ryan Air - cabin luggage size?
    Hi

I've booked a flight with Ryanair from Manchester to Dublin in a few weeks time. I'm only away for 2 nights so intend to just take everything in a small bag. The bag I have is bigger than the maximum sizes specified on the website, but it won't be full and its a soft bag.

Does anyone know if they'll allow this through or do I need to hunt for a very small bag?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by topher; 31-01-2009 at 5:51 PM.
  • angelapops
    How much bigger than 55cmX40cmX20cm is it?
  • topher
    Its 52 x 27 x 29 cm but as I mentioned before it'll hardly have anything in it!
  • angelapops
    Thats way under the size they allow just make sure any liquids lip stick etc it under 100ml indivually and that total amount of liquid going through security is under 1 litre and is in a see thru' resealable plastic bag.(Ryanair usually supply these free of charge at the airport.)
    Once through security you can buy anything else you need liquid and carry it on plane.But watch on return journey as same principal applies.
    I usually have a shoulder bag crossed over my body and a suitcase within their size limits with no trouble.

Have a great weekend!
  • topher
    I was worried because the bag is 29cm tall and the measurements on the website say 20cm! Thanks for your answer angelapops!
    • curtlyb
    • By curtlyb 31st Jan 09, 6:24 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    curtlyb
    They have a yellow metal 'gauge' at the airport, essentially a rectangular box the same size as the limit, if your bag is flexible then it'll fit in ok, if it's rigid and too big then you'll have a problem

.........I usually have a shoulder bag crossed over my body and a suitcase within their size limits with no trouble..........
    Originally posted by angelapops
    Be a bit careful here, there's a thread on this site and a big press release last week about Ryanair clamping down to ONE item only which includes handbags etc etc (you can put all your other bags into the one if you've space)... somebody tried taking five items on baord :-)
    Last edited by curtlyb; 31-01-2009 at 6:28 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

772Posts Today

6,150Users online

Martin's Twitter