Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • daz69kay
    • By daz69kay 12th Nov 12, 6:12 PM
    • 198Posts
    • 23Thanks
    Owing debt to British Gas
    • #1
    • 12th Nov 12, 6:12 PM
    Owing debt to British Gas 12th Nov 12 at 6:12 PM
    I am a single parent who owes arrears to British Gas. Over £1,000.
    I tried to come to an agreement for arrears and they said theyre is a form we can send you to fill in who can assist in writing your debt off?
    As I await for this form they have sent me a letter advising they have a warrant to exchange this meter to a prepayment meter.
    How do I stop them from doing this. I have tried to negotiate a plan with them and they are even advising not to pay future payments until this form has been sent / returned so again I'm getting deeper in debt for not paying for gas at the moment.
    I am only a part time single parent, what can I do?
Page 1
  • CAB Swansea Bay representative
    • #2
    • 13th Nov 12, 10:36 AM
    • #2
    • 13th Nov 12, 10:36 AM
    Hi daz69kay, thank you for your query regarding Debt Owing to British Gas
    Firstly you need to be aware that gas arrears are a priority debt and non-payment can lead to disconnection or a forced installation of a prepayment meter as in your case. The form they are talking about is an application form to the British Gas Energy Trust fund which can help people with one off grants to pay for utility arrears and sometimes other costs. You don't have to wait for them to send out the form as it can be completed online at If you require assistance completing the form you can contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau which you can find at I would suggest that you put the application in asap and then contact British Gas and ask them to suspend the warrant whilst they process the application. If they do not agree to do this I would suggest you seek debt advice straight away. If you have other debts which you are struggling to pay I would also suggest you seek advice from a debt adviser as they can discuss other options such as a Debt Relief Order or Bankruptcy but these options can only be discussed after a full assessment of your circumstances has been made.
    Hope this if of assistance.
    ďOfficial CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe Iíve broken any rules please report my post to as usual"
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 13th Nov 12, 11:06 AM
    • 15,364 Posts
    • 13,945 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th Nov 12, 11:06 AM
    • #3
    • 13th Nov 12, 11:06 AM
    So how long have you been waiting for this 'form' to arrive? I'm sure We would all like to get this 'form', as it means we won't have to pay our gas bills anymore.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • ILW
    • #4
    • 13th Nov 12, 12:16 PM
    • #4
    • 13th Nov 12, 12:16 PM
    What is the problem with a repayment meter?
    Seems like it is ideal for you.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 13th Nov 12, 12:50 PM
    • 21,611 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    • #5
    • 13th Nov 12, 12:50 PM
    • #5
    • 13th Nov 12, 12:50 PM
    The form will be to apply for a grant from the hardship fund to relieve the existing debt. The pre-pay meter is to ensure that you do not get into the situation again. If I were BG I would insist that a pp meter was a condition of help from the fund.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,338Posts Today

6,466Users online

Martin's Twitter