Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    incorrect default on my credit record for five years!!
    • #1
    • 9th Nov 12, 11:07 PM
    incorrect default on my credit record for five years!! 9th Nov 12 at 11:07 PM
    Hi. I had a Littlewoods catalogue roughly about 2006, and I ordered some goods from it to the tune of about £700. I always met my payments until I lost my job and I fell into arrears. When I did, I notified them there might be a problem with me making payments. I received letter after letter asking me to pay but with no regular wage I couldnít. When I found employment again, the debt had been passed to a company called Capquest who started to write to me regularly. With my new found wage I phoned them and paid the lot off by debit card. I still have their letter confirming settlement. 2 years later I was contacted by another debt company chasing the same debt and they placed a default notice on my credit file. I advised them I had paid and sent them evidence. I still have the fax confirmation from 2009. They said they would sort everything and remove the default from my file. I naively assumed this had been done, However, I today signed up to view my online credit reports with and saw that the default notice is still there and will not expire until July 2013. The rest of my credit report is spotless. This is the only default on my file but it has and is seriously been affecting my ability to get credit. I was not wise on the issue of credit reporting and thought being in arrears was due to me losing my job and that I would just have to handle it. So that I did. I went as far as getting a Vanquis card with an eye watering 39% APR in the hope that regular payment would show I was a good gamble so far as credit was concerned. I have searched Google. I only really have one question. I am taking action to get the default notice removed and believe me I will, but can I claim compensation? For five years plus my ability to access credit has been severely affected. I have paid approx. £8.00 to £10.00 interest on a credit card with a balance of £100.00 approx. I am very angry. Can you help please?
Page 1
    • balmk
    • By balmk 10th Nov 12, 9:40 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    • #2
    • 10th Nov 12, 9:40 AM
    • #2
    • 10th Nov 12, 9:40 AM
    You can also dispute the default with the Credit reference Agency if you can also provide proof too them that the default has been paid. They will then take the matter up with the DCA themselves to see if it can resolved No guarantee of success, but it's another avenue to try. You would be better off doing this with the credit reference agency directly rather than through Check My File as it's just adding another link to the chain.
  • CAB Swansea Bay representative
    • #3
    • 12th Nov 12, 10:59 AM
    • #3
    • 12th Nov 12, 10:59 AM
    Hi Duttster, thank you for your query re incorrect default.
    Firstly I would suggest you carefully check the date of the default as if it is was entered before the date you paid the debt off in full and you admit missing payments it would be a ligitimate default and as you have said it will stay on your credit report until 2013, 6 years prior to that would be 2007 so before Capquest was dealing with the account? If the default was registered with a date after the date you paid the debt in full I would suggest you put a complaint in writing to Littlewoods asking them to remove the default. You can also ask for compensation but they are unlikely to award any but you can then complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service if they do not respond or you are unhappy with their response but the difficulty in your case will be proving how much this default has cost you as lenders use lots of different data when assessing credit worthiness and they may say you should have checked your credit reference for incorrect entries after the first time you were refused credit. You can find more information about credit references and making a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service at
    Hope this is of assistance
    ďOfficial CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe Iíve broken any rules please report my post to as usual"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

67Posts Today

3,021Users online

Martin's Twitter