Shower Tray or wet room?

Having a new bathroom fitted, ignoring the possible difference in costs (unless one wil be substantially more)

Does anyone have a wet room?

I was all set for a large shower tray and enclosure, when i was asked if i would prefer a wet rom instead. Will also have a toilet and handbasin in there, and i was worried that anyone going in after someone who has had a shower will get wet feet!

Can anyone offer reall life pro's or con's to each option...

Many Thanks
Was a 40 a day smoker for 20 years.
Decided to give up, and haven't had a fag for 12 years.
Halfway through losing six stone.

Looking forward to early retirement.

Comments

• mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Wet room more possibility of leaks, bad if bathroom is upstairs, personally I'd go with a large shower tray
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
    2010 Posts: 5,329
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I was all set for a large shower tray and enclosure, when i was asked if i would prefer a wet rom instead. Will also have a toilet and handbasin in there, and i was worried that anyone going in after someone who has had a shower will get wet feet!

and probably a wet a*se as well.
    Stick to a shower tray and confine the water to one area.
  • BonandDom
    BonandDom Posts: 497 Forumite
    Having worked for a charities that facilitates the installation of wet rooms/level access showers for the disabled I'd recommend a wet room.

They look fantastic and done professionally the water drains, or is pumped out so the floor is not wet. Things to keep an eye out for:-

1. make sure a high quality non slip floor is used - some lovely ones are out there
    2. ensure the flooring goes up the wall slightly, about 1.5"
    3. the level of the floor should also have a very slight drop towards the drain (hardly noticeable to the eyes - or feet!)

Might be worth getting in touch with your local council to see who does the disabled facilities grant work in your area, as these contractors do it on a regular basis.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps.
    Light travels faster than sound - that's why you can see someone who looks bright until they open their mouth.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    We stayed in a holiday cottage last year that just had wet rooms with no curtains round the shower - and they were wet, for hours after anyone had had a shower - toilets, handbasins, towels. We stopped using the shower in one room just so we could go to the loo in the dry.

Using a disabled facility grant, my parents had their bathroom changed to a wet room so that there was no step into the shower but the council also installed half-doors which fold back against the wall when not in use and a shower curtain. They keep the water within the shower area but don't look very glamourous.

We have taken our bath out and installed a big shower tray with glass screens. This looks good and works really well.
  • having had a leaking wetroom type shower (ie tiled floor - no tray) replaced by a tray I would say go for a tray ....
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another vote for the tray here.
  • londonsurrey
    londonsurrey Posts: 2,444 Forumite
    I would go for a wet room with a shower tray. The joy of a wet room is that you can have "accidents"(wet dog/splashy child) and it not matter.
    The trick to using them is that you aim not to actually get the floor wet, the way you use a normal bathroom, but it's not a disaster when they get wet!

And cleaning is a dream. Just sluice water on everything, and the water magically wanders off down the drain. Bliss,.
  • londonsurrey
    londonsurrey Posts: 2,444 Forumite
    If you're talking dream bathroom, then another option is a heated floor. Pricey, but oh so blissful...
    You've set me off here. Lol.
  • Definitely a shower tray. Less messier. :)
  • If you're talking dream bathroom, then another option is a heated floor. Pricey, but oh so blissful...
    You've set me off here. Lol.

I looked into the under floor heating and decided against it when i found out it needed to be switched on and allowed to heat up...
    Would fit me for my early shifts when i'm getting up at 4.30am!
    Was a 40 a day smoker for 20 years.
    Decided to give up, and haven't had a fag for 12 years.
    Halfway through losing six stone.

Looking forward to early retirement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family