Under VAT E-Commerce

Hi All

I am currently setting up an e-commerce clothing company and have a couple of questions I hope aren't too hard to answer.

We have been paying designers, printers and suppliers, all of whom have charged VAT on their services. We have not yet registered the company yet, something we will be doing very soon though we have personally paid for a number of the above services. We also do not plan to be above the VAT threshold in the first 18 months.

My questions are:
I am under the impression we do not charge VAT to our customers as we won't be registered?
Are we able to claim back any VAT paid to suppliers throughout the year?
Will we be able to claim back any of the VAT that was paid personally prior to the company set up?

Thank you for any help and let me know if you need any more information.

Alex

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Please see replies below
    My questions are:
    I am under the impression we do not charge VAT to our customers as we won't be registered? Correct - it would be unlawful to do so
    Are we able to claim back any VAT paid to suppliers throughout the year? Not unless you register for VAT, and then you'd have to charge VAT to customers.
    Will we be able to claim back any of the VAT that was paid personally prior to the company set up? Maybe, maybe not - depends on the way the conversion from sole trader to limited company was structured (if you start trading before the company is formed) and the time of VAT registration
  • Thank you for getting back to me!

Is there any reason to register for VAT before you have to? What I mean by this is, are there any situations where it would be financially advantageous too?

Also we haven't started trading (haven't sold a piece of clothing yet), there are three of us and we are just paying for it out of our pockets.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is there any reason to register for VAT before you have to? What I mean by this is, are there any situations where it would be financially advantageous too?

Yes, it can often be advantageous, but will depend entirely on your initial up front costs, etc. The only way to find out would be to do some financial forecasting, i.e. cash flow forecasts and profit & loss forecasts, with and without VAT registration, then it would highlight the pros and cons for both cash flow and profit (which are likely to be opposite, i.e. likely to be improved cash flow at first, but reduced profit/cash flow later).
  • My ecommerce business is under the VAT threshold. I don't charge VAT to my customers but I do have to pay VAT on products and services I use. What's the current VAT threshold for 2019/2020 please?
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Note you can register for VAT if you are a sole trader.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure