Help from people who’s DRO has ended!

I haven’t been on here for a while. Since my DRO was approved i haven’t been contacted at all by any of the creditors. My only regret is i didn’t do it sooner.

I was just wondering what happens after the 12 months is up? Do i have to send anything in to prove I still can’t pay? My situation hasn’t changed and it’s highly unlikely it will by July when the DRO is supposed to end.

Comments

• Twubble
    Twubble Posts: 80 Forumite
    You don't have to do anything. After the 12 months, your name will still be on the register for another 3 months. Take a screenshot of it and keep it safe, as it will be evidence that you have successfully gone through the 12 months.

I have just under 2 months to go on mine. I cannot believe how quickly it's gone. I did have one wobble when I did my tax returns, which triggered an entirely unexpected tax rebate from a previous job, and some backpay in tax credits, where they had underpaid. This came to around £1040.00, which had me seriously worried, but the OR was amazing when I rang them, and they said that as it was just over the £1000, not to worry about it. Other than that, it's been smooth. I would recommend anyone to do it if they are seriously struggling and can't see a way out. I'm more than happy that I cannot have credit, as I really never want to get in that mess again! Good luck with the rest of yours.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Yep, after 12 months your debts are written off, there are no fanfares, no certificates, no contact at all actually, it’s a little underwhelming to be honest.

One thing you need to be aware of though, is that not all creditors mark your credit file correctly, once the monotorium period ends, your debts should be marked as settled with a zero balance, I had to chase mine to get it done correctly.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Twubble, yes time goes by so fast, mine was approved in July and i just kept thinking that a years a long time but really it isn’t, it goes so quick. I agree with you about not being able to have credit, i really don’t want to get into this mess again if fingers crossed everything goes well. It was awful, worrying about it all but now not having any one contact me has really put my mind at rest as you all know how it feels.

sourcrates it just sounds too good to be true. I just have a bad feeling something will happen and then i’ll still be expected to pay the debts. I’ve had 6 months of no one hassling me and it’s been great, i’m just worried that after it ends they will expect me to pay. Step Change did say what you said about the debts being written off but like i said i just find it so hard to believe.
  • Twubble
    Twubble Posts: 80 Forumite
    You really can believe it, as it will happen unless your circumstances change, which isn't likely. We're very lucky to have been given this chance, and I'll always be grateful. Stress levels are far lower now, and life's so much more enjoyable.
  • sourcrates

sourcrates it just sounds too good to be true. I just have a bad feeling something will happen and then i’ll still be expected to pay the debts. I’ve had 6 months of no one hassling me and it’s been great, i’m just worried that after it ends they will expect me to pay. Step Change did say what you said about the debts being written off but like i said i just find it so hard to believe.

A DRO is a form of insolvency, and written into statute by Parliament, as long as your circumstances don`t change, all accounts included in your DRO will cease to exist on the one year anniversary of your arrangement.

It makes no difference what anyone says, they can shout and ball as much as they like, you have 3 little words for them DEBT RELIEF ORDER, they have no remedy against that, at all, ever.

You should keep evidence of your arrangement, keep your DRO paperwork, take a screen-shot of your inclusion on the insolvency register, as occasionally debts are sold on, even ones included in DRO`s, but the same rules apply to any new owner, they again, have no remedy against you.

One of my debts was sold on, the new owner was quite persistent and insisted the debt was owed and i was liable, of course they had not read my letters correctly, and did not do due diligence in their treatment of my complaint.

I ended up with £150 compensation from that one, so if this should happen to you, be persistent, and above all remember that you are right, and their is nothing anyone can do to you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • So at the end of the year how do you have to prove your circumstances haven’t changed?
  • sourcrates
    So at the end of the year how do you have to prove your circumstances haven’t changed?

You dont, if they do change, you are required to inform the IS.

If they dont change, you do nothing, it just ends, simple as that.
  • Hi.. My dro is coming to an end in march and i have a debt with tac credit thats been pass on to DWP now dwp is saying after my dro ends they will contact me to make arrangement for payment? Im very confuse by this .. I have to send my dro again what else can i do so tney do t harass me..thank you
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Are we talking about a tax credit overpayment?

Had they taken a decision to collect the overpayment before your DRO was approved?

Did you list it in full in your application?

Has there been no evidence of fraud in the circumstances that led to the overpayment?

If 'yes' to all those then they are not allowed to recover the debt.

If they are claiming fraud there has to be some evidence of it - either that you have admitted it or been found guilty at court.

Ask them to put in writing why they are proposing to start collecting again.
  • My husband has had similar to the above, tax credits wrote and said because the DWP recover tax credits then the DRO needs to be amended to list them as a creditor and not Tax credits.. he is going to talk to the OR and see what they say
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure