PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019

Options

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the job Siebrie :A

Thank you, but I'm fine. It was a very stressful job, and I didn't get along with my new boss, and then it's the Assistant that has to go, not the Executive Vice President :D I am still destressing, SAHM for the time being, figuring out what to do next; maybe back to university even.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Onwards and upwards with the MMM's, no decision about the bags yet (indecision will be the death of me). I had a hip replacement 10 weeks ago so although I'm almost back to normal (!) I still have to take it a bit easy, so yesterday afternoon I watched Manhunt and did some mending at the same time. I've not repaired anything for years.....feeling smug ��. I lost my job because of my hip problems, I need to be a bit more savvy. Love these posts, everyone is so encouraging.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all, just re-joining to spur myself on. I am in process of emptying my house, partly because its full :o but mainly because Im trying to fund a caravan. So will post as often as I can to keep myself going. I started this in August and have a way to go.

Make do - wanted something sweet to eat, mostly for hubby as he isn't eating enough ( disabled and in pain). Got the mixer out and whipped up a couple of ginger cakes from what was already in.

Mend- took my old curtains apart and as the liner was fleece I want to use it for something that wont need washing a lot. Gave it a quick wash to brighten it up then my grand- daughter took a shine to it so now its on top of her bed here :D Going to retrieve it and encase it in the old curtain then sew fabric to the top to make a soft rug for the childrens bedroom here.

Mend - fixed the pocket in hubbys winter coat.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Still not got round to mending anything but I've got a few days holiday at the start of next week so will do it then. Plan is also to venture into the cupboard of doom and install some order to it :eek:

Made a quiche this morning which got rid of some slightly dubious cream (out of date and opened over 2 weeks ago but looked and smelled fine) and the last scraps of a gammon joint that had been lurking in the freezer for a while. Had some for lunch with salad and will take some to work tomorrow.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • savingpennies
    Options
    Morning all.
    My list for the rest of this month;
    Minimise
    - Sort through the freezer and record the contents in my freezer book. When we had a new kitchen fitted and we packed everything up, my old freezer book went missing. I can then do some meal plans and use the stuff up.

- I got OH to get some boxes containing my wool stash out of the loft. I need to look through and see what I can do with the contents.

Mend
    - I've two cushion covers that need new zips, so need to measure and purchase. I've also some lovely fabric printed with books/pens that I am going to make new cushions with so need zips for those too.

Make do
    - Paint dining room chairs and reupholster. We've painted and sanded the table and sideboard but didn't have time to do chairs, so need to finish that job.

I think that's enough.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A bit of a slow start for me to this year's MMMing but have managed a few bits this week.

Make do:
    - The usual using up of leftovers; very happy to say we've finished all the Xmas'y stuff now.
    - Cut the top off a squeezy tube of body lotion so I can get to the last bits and using the cut off bit as a lid.

Mend:
    - Another knitter here who likes knitting and the end result but not the sewing up bit inbetween. I'm spending half an hour a day in the afternoons (a bit like making an appointment with myself) to do the sewing so the (very) large stash will go down - eventually! :D
    - Have planted up an amaryllis bulb that I'd saved from last year and it's already showing signs of growth. :)
    - Made a few gift tags from this year's Xmas cards and used ribbons from my craft stash as ties. There's a few pennies saved. ;)

Minimise:
    - Xmas tree down and stored away along with baubles etc. No sorting needed as I did that last year.
    - Xmas cards in re-cycling, minus foil embellishments and glittery bits (our council doesn't want those in re-cycling).
    - Used up a ys tub of brandy butter to make a batch of oat & raisin cookies.
    - Seven items of assorted bric a brac put in carrier bag ready to go to cs next week.
    - Junk mail recycled.
    - Binned an old toothbrush that I'd been using for cleaning - the bristles were so splayed it wasn't cutting the mustard any more. :o

[STRIKE]Will[/STRIKE] must try harder next week :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone

Hippyhippysake: Sounds if a few interesting meals will be coming up!

Make do: still make meals from cupboards, fridge and freezer. Today I made butternut squash soup with home grown butternut and a pasta and prawn dish with fridge and freezer stuff.

Minimise: still sorting out, now Im in my craft room and it will take longer as I try to get rid of stuff I know I wont use - it will be going to CS/school

Mend: haven't mended any clothes but I did cobble together another catch for the gp hutch.

Happy mmming everyone.

Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• kittydfw2012
    Options
    Mend: my sore finger is getting better, bruise and swelling now gone right down - weird injury where I banged it (not very hard) on something and I must have hit a sensitive spot and it bruised and swelled really quickly, very strange. My OH says it's because I'm getting to be a 'duffer' as he describes older people - rude - and he's older than me so what does that make him??

Make do: used washing up liquid to give the bathroom sink and bath a clean. I find this brings it all up lovely and I hate how bathroom cleaner smells and leaves chemicals in the air. I occasionally use the smallest amount of bleach in the shower plug hole and toilet to get rid of nasties but otherwise it's a bit of the green stuff for my cleaning (I find Fa!ry is the best and lasts longest).

Minimise: Went through the two bookcase shelves that make up my 'office' and even though I follow Konmari and minimise stuff as I go, I still managed to get rid of a whole bag full of papers, old notebooks, cards etc. Everywhere is looking spic and span which I love.

Happy MMMing x
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mend - a drawer that DH had broken. The front of it had come iff. Hopefully it's a permanent fix.

Make do - covered some card with paper for a display as the card was old boxes. DH wanted me to buy new card.

Minimize - Boxes from DS2 room which had been there since Christmas. Also some fish from the freezer used up in a fish pie.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dinner tonight was pasta with ood pesto (lovely) and some parmezan from the freezer (wombled from a work do leftovers last year), last of the carrots.

Dessert was homemade jam (a mixture of red garden fruit and some sugar, I didn't measure anything and kept it in the fridge) with yoghurt and homemade granola (from Aldi muesli, honey that we received as christmas gift, and dried exotic fruit cubes that I wombled a bagful of at work last year).
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure