PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019

Comments

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,871
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Morning and hello to new posters :hello:

Went to bed early last night as wasn't feeling great and have woken up this morning full of the cold :( kittydfw2012 - great idea about using cotton flannels instead of tissues, unfortunately I have none so the bin has a steadily increasing pile of paper tissues being put in but will look to get some proper hankies for future.

Had planned to go to the gym or for a run but that definitely won't be happening. Going to go for a wee walk around the park to get some fresh air before work. On a late shift today, really not in the mood for work but at least it's double time :D

Away to make myself a coffee and then sit down with OH to make a meal plan for the rest of this week and next week. Lots of bits and bobs to be used up so will incorporate them into the plan.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10527.15/£15000 (70.2% saved). Emergency fund - £1356.48/£1500 (90.4% saved).
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning all - hav'n't got started yet. Welcome to the newbies to our lovely little thread.
    Christmas decs coming down today & fridge nearly cleared out so almost back to normal.
    For those of you with he sniffles ( aka snotty noses) a liberal application of lip salve round your nose is a great help with the soreness and redness - especially if you slap it on overnight HTH
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • I’m in again :D

Make Do & Minimise: Food from freezer & stocks plus a few items of clothing into cs bag

Mend: nothing

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £43.00
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £??; May £??; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Finally got craft room sorted out - I can see the floor. It's a miracle.

Am hoping to get some sewing projects on the go tomorrow. Found 3 lots of Laura Ashley material in a bag for 3 separate projects - bought them last summer!!!
  • Morning MMMers, it's brrrggh this morning but hoping that means a bit of sunshine later.

Make do: Feeling a bit under the weather still with a cough and cold so was glad to have left over Indian takeaway from NYE with plenty of chill, veg and spices plus not having to find the energy to make the dinner. (thanks Silvasava for the lip salve tip, going to try that as Rudolph has nothing on me now).

Mend: a shoe box that had a couple of bashed corners got taped up so it could be used to store fairy lights. I wrote 'lights' and did an little drawing of lights with a few coloured pens so it looked a bit better than a scruffy old shoe box. Bit of a box obsession having just binge watched Marie Kondo on Netflix.

Minimise: more Christmas cake, yum yum.

Planning to minimise Christmas decorations today and the needles from the tree that have dropped, hoping for a bit of energy to get the hoover out and make things look a bit tidier.

Have a good day x
  • I'll join again this year, if I may. I joined in last year but fell off the wagon as I was busy decorating and writing my dissertation for my MA, which is finally being submitted next week:j
    I'm retired and we have in the last 5 months had a new bathroom fitted, re-decorated the hall, living room, dining room and spare bedroom. I upcycled my old dark wood dining room furniture by painting with chalk paint and OH sanded the top of the table and sideboard. January's job is to paint the chairs and re-upholster.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Mince defrosted to make a batch of chilli this morning. Need to do a freezer check & see if any stocks are needed.
    Minimised some disintegrating underfelt from the loft and some icicle lights going on Freecycle
    Need to steam clean the kitchen/breakfast room tiles - they've been washed 2/3 times since the room was replastered but the grouting needs attention!
    Empty Piggy - there's a sewing thread on the forum and there's always someone who can give advice or point you in the right direction. I
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 3 January 2019 at 11:42AM
    Hello, happy New Year to you all! I've lurked mostly but love reading other people's MMM experiences.

Yesterday was a great day for my MMM.

Mended a pair of navy socks, making do with black sock thread as I didn't have navy. It worked well.

Mended DH's striped scarf. It had a really large moth-hole almost at the end. I cut a couple of stripes up to the hole, turned in the cut bit and stitched it neatly. Made do with grey thread because I didn't have beige. It worked well (invisible stiitch). The scarf is a bit shorter but perfectly wearable. DH is happy.

Minimised some books and a few mags. Someone we know has built a bookshelf with scraps of wood and put it in the local train station with a few books in the shelves. Now it has become a regular mini-library for commuters (and non-). We use it regularly to pick up and then return some very good reads.

Hoping to post more regularly.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • silvasava wrote: »
    Mince defrosted to make a batch of chilli this morning. Need to do a freezer check & see if any stocks are needed.
    Minimised some disintegrating underfelt from the loft and some icicle lights going on Freecycle
    Need to steam clean the kitchen/breakfast room tiles - they've been washed 2/3 times since the room was replastered but the grouting needs attention!
    Empty Piggy - there's a sewing thread on the forum and there's always someone who can give advice or point you in the right direction. I

Thanks so much. Everyone is so helpful and I really appreciate it xxx
  • Caterina wrote: »

Minimised some books and a few mags. Someone we know has built a bookshelf with scraps of wood and put it in the local train station with a few books in the shelves. Now it has become a regular mini-library for commuters (and non-). We use it regularly to pick up and then return some very good reads.

Hoping to post more regularly.

I love this idea. What fantastic community spirit xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family