PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    117pauline wrote: »
    Katkin
    This will be only the second delivery from them. I took too advantage of the £19 2.5kg chicken breasts. They weren't full of water. I agree about the sausage casings but we really liked their meatballs.

Thank you Pauline that's great to hear. Sounds like the chicken breasts are a bargain. I will order them and a few other bits to my re-stocking mission.

I like to keep my weekly shopping and pick ups to a minimum of fresh stuff, hence wanting a good variety of meat and fish frozen for the next couple of months or so. It saves time for me too, I prefer to not spend hours every week shopping. Getting as much done online and delivered helps me with my budget too.

I'm looking forward to creating meals from new stocks too, have been researching new recipes and ideas to keep things interesting :)

Thanks again for your advice X
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    I used up some tins too yesterday. I made peach and chickpea curry for family lunch which we had with hm naan from the freezer. Feeling like I'm making progress. I saw someone suggest on another thread making an inventory of cupboards, fridge and freezer on a spreadsheet so you know exactly what you have of everything and don't buy things you already have. I might give it a try although it'll be a monster task to set up to begin with.

No new groceries in but we did have a planned meal out (curry again !) in the evening as we had a babysitter booked.

You've inspired me to make that curry, I've been meaning to for ages. I would recommend giving making an inventory a try as it has really worked for me. Each month after I get my big food shops I do an inventory and I find it so helpful. Sometimes I transfer it to a spreadsheet, and other times I just keep the sheets of paper somewhere handy. If I do transfer it to a spreadsheet I colour the cells red (to be eaten ASAP) Orange (Expires in a few months) or Yellow (Won't expire before it gets used up) so I can plan my meals better.
    I put mine in a big A4 book and have three freezers. I cross off as it gets used and then rewrite when it gets messy. There's also an app called freezer manager.I am thinking of duplicating the list to.

That app sounds really interesting and I will have a look for it.

Did some more cooking today.

OUT

Tin of baked beans, leftover chilli red beans, 100g dried soya mince, 2 carrots, 4 potatoes, 1 sweet potato, 2 eggs, 150g cheese, tin of green lentils, frozen peppers, onion, sweetcorn and broccoli.

IN

3 spare portions of veggie cottage pie.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Today:-
    In: 4 folded flatbreads, bag of grated gloucester cheese (small block found in the fridge as a forgotten Christmas LO:o- still mould removed and cheese underneath is just fine:))
    Out: 1 x lamb chop, 1/2 pack cooking bacon
    Used up: 1/2 remaining greek yoghurt and 1/2 a cucumber
  • I was given a cheese making kit by mum yesterday. It was a present 2 xmases ago for dad and he's never used it, like so many gifts. So it's come to live with me. Prepare for much moaning about too much goat cheese! Haha. Although I already have muslin, citric acid and salt, the thermometer is handy.

Cooked up the big chicken. Looks like we will make risotto, curry and possibly sandwiches as well as soup (and having had roast)! Tuesday will be busy so I will be attempting a rare batch cook on Monday. Used the last of the fish up at lunch time and thanks to the mini food hoover I've taken out another loaf of bread from the freezer. Also out the freezer was a 4 pint of milk and a pack of ham.

I think I will use up the leeks tomorrow. The gravy left from today will go in the risotto. Mushrooms will take a hit, and celery and carrots, garlic, ginger, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, last of the natural yogurt, onions and the whole chicken. Should save myself cooking for a few days too!
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Franalamadingdong I'd be interested to know how you make Goats cheese, I love cheese but unfortunately I'm very allergic to cows cheese and can only eat either goat or ewe.

OUT
    half an uncooked turkey carcass to be cooked in slow cooker this morning, I should be able to get 2 or even 3 meals from it.
    puff pastry
    2 portions raised pie
    profiteroles
    rest from cupboards/fridge

Lunch:- is raised pie and a sort of salad depending on what's in the fridge and needs using up. Cornflake/chocolate cakes
    Tea:- cooked turkey, mushrooms, veg, herbs/spices, sauce on top of puff pastry, profiteroles and toffee sauce.

IN
    cooked lambs hearts
  • Out yesterday - 1 x 400g pack of mince. In today 7 portions of Butternut Squash and Bean Chilli, and that's after we eat 2 portions for dinner. This stuff breeds:eek:

Also out, 2 cooked chicken breasts for lunches. Lots of veg prepped for the week. 2 cod portions eaten for dinner last night.

But also added, homemade fudge, 5 tuna fishcakes (HM), 4 baked eggs and 4 portions of sausage breakfast.

I'm about to play Tetris as my MF order has to go somewhere.:rotfl:
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Out yesterday - 1 x 400g pack of mince. In today 7 portions of Butternut Squash and Bean Chilli, and that's after we eat 2 portions for dinner. This stuff breeds:eek:

Also out, 2 cooked chicken breasts for lunches. Lots of veg prepped for the week. 2 cod portions eaten for dinner last night.

But also added, homemade fudge, 5 tuna fishcakes (HM), 4 baked eggs and 4 portions of sausage breakfast.

I'm about to play Tetris as my MF order has to go somewhere.:rotfl:

Ah yes, Tetris. Masters of the Hoard unite!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • I downloaded an Excel spreadsheet for menu planning. I plan for a week (mainly lunch & dinner) and there is room at the bottom for foodstuffs, freezer/bakery etc which can be changed to suit. I can also hyperlink to recipes I have on my PC so I just click on the recipe name and up pops the recipe. I have managed this way to really sort out my freezers and cupboards (PROUD). I print a sheet and hang in kitchen and I also keep the last few full sheets on (rename with x in front) so I can check back if I need to. It helps clear stocks as well as menu plan to use stuff up. Hope this helps.
  • Moorhen
    Moorhen Posts: 964 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    i am so inspired by this thread.
    We have eaten quite a few of the unlabelled, hard to identify, stew type things from my freezer in the past fortnight that I froze before someone bought me a box of labels. some of them have been really nice!
    I was going to make chilli for tea tonight but in a rummage through the freezer i unearthed some that I had made and frozen a couple of months ago:):).
    Everything in my freezer is now identifiable and we are working through it all.
    Next stop the cupboards!:rotfl:
  • Lol, always nice to be able to identify what you're eating!

Zafiro, I had a read through the instructions and it seems quite simple. I'll type them up in here later today.

I've been cooking up a storm this morning. The £4 chicken I bought gave us both a generous roast dinner yesterday, then today I've made stock, curry, risotto and made chicken soup from the stock. I used a bit of stock and the left over gravy in the risotto too. I make my gravy from the stock. I didn't know that there was another way until a friend laughed at me for looked puzzled as to what gravy granules were. That was last year... Haha. I slung some wine into the soup and the risotto as well. I was given the wine and I don't drink much. I now have risotto for two, curry for 4-6 and soup for 4-6 as well as some chicken for a sandwich and a jug extra of stock all that plus the roast we had. I've never had a chicken stretch so far!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback