PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate Agent withholding my house keys

I'm selling an unoccupied house in the UK between my ex wife and I. For ease, we agreed to use same solicitor. We are both overseas, but recently I asked the estate agent to give my brother the house key, so he could go in and repair a wind-damaged garden fence and a general tidy up. He agreed to do that. My ex was informed by the agent and she sent an email instructing the agent to not give him the key. I argued that my ex has friends going into the house to help collect her mail etc and I have not complained. He now insists that he needs both of us to agree, to allow my brother access. Can the Agent make call like this.? If my ex is going to decide to now become a control freak, then isn't this a matter for a solicitor..?

How can I challenge the Agent and force him to provide the keys to my brother..?

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Post your key to brother get him to make copy and send back to you.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Post your key to brother get him to make copy and send back to you.
    Post your key to your brother. Get him to change the lock (5 minutes DIY - see utube), and send one of the 2 new keys back to you.

Change agent as soon as your minimum contract period ends.

Expect your divorce to turn nasty.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Perhaps some of your ex's friends are currently living in the house. ;)
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Ask them where in the contract it needs both sides to agree who a key is passed to?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Get your brother to pose as a buyer and arrange a viewing. Once they let him in, he can thank them and start his tidy up.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Get your brother to pose as a buyer and arrange a viewing. Once they let him in, he can thank them and start his tidy up.
    and install the lock he brought with him.......

Make sure e brings documentation to show the agent that he is entitled to do this.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What is the real problem here?... She doesn't want to sell?

If that is the case then you are in serious bother because she will have many opportunities to throw the spanner in before you get anywhere near exchange with a buyer.

If she does want to sell then fine, let her arrange the repairs and tidying.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 February 2019 at 7:47PM
    Who is the EA's client - i.e. who signed the contract with the EA?
    • If it was your ex-wife, then obviously, if you ask for the key to be released, the EA will check with their client, and follow their client's instructions.
    • If you jointly instructed the EA - you say "release the key" and your ex-wife says "don't release the key" - how does the EA decide?

• But if you're the EA's client - I guess they should follow your instructions.
  • SusieT
    SusieT Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Since they are saying it requires both of you to allow the key to be released, simply revoke your permission for her friends to have the key to collect the post.
    I would think that the tidying and maintenance your brother is doing will soon be allowed
    Credit card debt - NIL
    Home improvement secured loans 30,130/41,000 and 23,156/28,000 End 2027 and 2029
    Mortgage 64,513/100,000 End Nov 2035
    2022 all rolling into new mortgage + extra to finish house. 125,000 End 2036
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure