PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019

Options

Comments

• Wraithlady
    Options
    I am still working on the patchwork thing (end result to be confirmed) so minimising fabric scraps slowly.

Also OH bought a large bag for his massage stuff, but the large bolster I bought him doesn't fit. To avoid having to buy another (and the next current size up being far too large), I will make him a tube wth velcro patches to fit between the straps securely.

Mending - so far, 2 blouses (1 collar replacement, 1 hole in the sleeve), 2 skirts and a belt loop.
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A friend of mine gives it to a friend of hers to use for her pets (apologies, I can’t remember what particular pets) as bedding which when soiled goes on the compost..

I used to give it to my neighbour when her littlies had pets but they've moved now. :(
    bit_by_bit wrote: »
    Shredded paper composts neautifully. Layer it between layers of vegetation and it rots down to a fine compost.

Sadly, we don't have a garden (flat dwellers) so no compost bin. :( But I do have planters and pots and have mixed some in those. Perhaps I need to get more pots? ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • keepcalmandcraft
    Options
    Mend: Put elastic in a skirt that was too big and took up the hem of DD2's pyjamas.
    Make do: This year I've really been trying to use up food in the freezer and am eventually seeing the space now. We've been enjoying chicken curry, bolognese, sweet potato soup and ratatouille to name a few. Definitely spending less in the weekly food shop.
    Stash busting challenge 2024: 3/100 £0/£50 Fashion on the ration 2024: 0/66
  • squishylove1989
    Options
    Bit late to the party as was trying to find the thread. We are having a serious scrimping year due to our funds having to be redirected to flights to America as often as we can (husband's family is out there and his Mum is very poorly so don't know how long we have). I am hoping to get lots of tips and ideas from you all as I seem to have lost my way with make do and mend living. I would also like to try and reduce our eco footprint if I can, along with trying to reduce our costs. I am braving the garden (it's a real jungle out there, everything and anything seems to grow) but I'm not very green-fingered so will certainly be a learning curve!

Looking forward to keeping up with the thread and hopefully being able to add my own stuff as well (although may only be able to update once a week)
    Sometimes you just have to throw on a crown and remind them who they are dealing with
  • 2Scratters
    Options
    Hi Peeps,
    Been lurking in here and have nudged myself into some sort of action. Got some clothes that need sorting ie hems on trousers taking up, reducing waistband on some pj bottoms. Bought a sewing machine 2 1/2 years ago and its not seen light of day since. I am due to retire/semi retire soon so these jobs need starting as will save more pennies.

2Scratters
    Anything is better than nothing-check back and see On the declutter journey 2023 with Mrs SD Tilly Tidy 2023 YTD 14.98
  • YorksLass
    Options
    Make Do: The usual of trying to keep grocery shopping down to a minimum by meal planning and using existing stocks. Will be doing the same next week too as the plan is to have a surplus in the grocery purse to spend on more tins etc for the stores cupboards at the beginning of next month prior to the B-debacle. ;)

Mend: Have finished sewing up 3 knitted jumpers for DGSs. I think the next batch will be multi-coloured stripey ones as I have [STRIKE]quite a few[/STRIKE] a lot of part-balls of yarn to use up from the stash. :D

Minimise: I have another carrier bag of unwanteds ready to take to the cs next week. It's good exercise for me too as it's a 20-25 minute walk each way. ;)

A less welcome Minimise was paying our gas/elec provider a one-off lump sum so they don't put up the monthly DD. :( I've used the funds that we'd normally pay out for CT and water rates as Feb and Mar are "free" months for us.

This week I've been getting ready for the 2019/2020 financial year by drawing up an income/expenditure spreadsheet so when the bills notifications come through the door I just have to put the figures in - and more than likely spend time working out where we can cut down! :cool:
  • frizz2
    frizz2 Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Make do- so far I have not ordered anything from ebay or Amazon this year! I made tomato soup today with my soup maker. Also, two tea bread loaf from an old Weight Watchers Recipe.
    I have also planted some lettuce/ rocket to grow on the window sill. I got the seed trays from Wilko for £1 and a bag of compost for £1 and some seeds from Poundland for £1. So I will see how that goes.
    I have been knitting some baby clothes for a friend also.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yorklass - I keep a spreadsheet for household expenses too. I list all the ones I can't change - utilities, council tax , phone etc by the dates the DD is paid . I apply for a zero percent on purchases credit card and pay all the big annual bills like car tax, insurances and I allow an amount for MOT - I list these separately on the spread sheet as I try to get better deals on insurances or through a cashback site. The big bills that are paid by CC I then add up and divide by 12 and pay that amount by Standing order off the card. You must be very disciplined though - I do not put the card in my purse! This has worked very well for us as big bills have a tendency to come at once! HTH
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • YorksLass
    Options
    silvasaver - Sounds very similar to my system. I do have a credit card but very rarely use it, apart from paying for online grocery orders of heavy/bulky items and I always pay that off in full just before the due date. It means I can get free delivery (or sometimes just a £1 charge) which is very useful as we don't have a car. If I went to the store for that amount of stuff I'd end up getting a taxi home and that would cost much more! ;) I also get extra loyalty points when I use the card. I sometimes use it for one-off unexpected purchases and for those I transfer cash from my Rainy Days savings.

This morning Mr Postie brought the DWP notification letters for our state pensions for the coming year so those figures have gone on the spreadsheet. I'm always grateful for any increase but this year's is slightly less generous than last year which was 3% on all elements; this time it's 2.6% on the basic state pension and 2.4% on the other parts. Normally we're a few pounds better off but I think this year we may well be behind. :( I foresee much head scratching and juggling of figures to balance the books! :think:

Quick and easy mend yesterday to replace a lightbulb on the landing.

I'm currently eyeing up some summer crop trousers that I don't wear often (they're very baggy on the legs) and I'm thinking I could perhaps turn them into skirts that I would wear. :idea:
  • 2Scratters
    Options
    Morning Peeps,
    For a make do: found the mango GD and I did the other day in the fridge looking sad and a bit soft. Stepped back from the bin as was throwing it away... mashed it up instead, put into 3 portions and put into freezer. Not sure if it freezes but the intention is to use it in a home made curry.

Continued to checkout the fridge looks like a green soup is in the making!
    there is also a pack of bacon chunks unopened that too could end up in the soup!!

Enjoy the nice weather
    2Scratters
    Anything is better than nothing-check back and see On the declutter journey 2023 with Mrs SD Tilly Tidy 2023 YTD 14.98
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure