Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thanks cath, I’m veggie so WW is very repetitive (if I manage to stick to it) calorie counting suits me much better, although I’m making sure to still have plently of fruit and veg even I feel it’s not “free”.

No flights booked to York or anywhere else yet :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Over budget already by a tiny bit - £20.63 spent today, ds2’s friend left his key at our house so I dropped it off and went home via out of town m & s, timing it as the yellow sticker lady was doing her stuff :D

30p for four chocolate muffins, cheap tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes, apples and buttermilk pancakes, plus a few full priced bits on offer :money:

Tonight’s plan is Greek salad and Inferno on Netflix :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I love reductions time in m*s!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Congrats on 100 days ng, well done.

Wow to the wedding story, that's......well I cant really think of a word to sum that up. And what a reaction from granda! Even if someone held really firm views on a subject I would always hope a real life example from a close family member might make them pause and think about their view and wonder if maybe theres another side to it they hadn't thought of then it would mitigate their thoughts from black/white to see all the subtle greys there are, sounds like that ain't going to happen with him so sorry if it causes unpleasantness until they move and you see them less.

Lastly, ive not been around this last fortnight as I was at Harry Potter world in Florida :o (it was flippin fantastic, sorry)

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • newgirly
    Still on budget, £15 diesel, just under £5 food, plus £4.80 yesterday in the forest cafe with dd and £10.20 in c@sta this morning buying drinks for Dd and mum and I and breakfast for Dd. Hopefully that’s it on drinks out this week :o

1/2 lb off this week, not sure how after I ran out of diet ice cream and at the the kids’ creme egg stuff :D

Mum and aunt keep asking what I want to do for my birthday, I’m not sure I want to do a family meal takeout or restaurant thing really, things have been a little tense lately with my parents and I’m already going to a friends 50th party on my actual birthday. It’s nice to get the kids sitting down together but sometimes extended family can be hard work and since quitting drinking its not as much fun watching everyone get more argumentative and tipsy, not to mention the cost.

I’m thinking of doing something a bit controversial and taking the kids out for breakfast at the new hipster cafe in town, then just having tea and cake at some point with the rest. I think at almost 44 I should get some say in what I want to do as long as I’m polite and see them all still.
  • newgirly
    I’ve spent today’s £20 plus £15 odd of tomorrows money in mr t tonight, plenty of yellow sticker bakery stuff including about a dozen large nan breads for the freezer, only thing missing was my new favourite low cal ice cream that’s been helping me lose weight without feeling hard done by, it’s not reduced anymore and is £5 a tub :( I can’t be spending that!

I’ve made a rather rash decision with dhs approval of course, I wanted to get Dd something special as a graduation present, initially I was thinking jewellery but I know she’s very keen to have a holiday with her boyfriend. They are already doing a mini break with his dd for a few days and are saving for a deposit, so wouldn’t spend more on another holiday. So we have offered to pay for an air bnb for them for a week in June, it’s a lovely little lodge in a back garden on the edge of Dartmoor, £349 for a week which is great value but I still need to find a way to cover it :o

At least with that type of break I can do them a nice hamper of food and drink to take and they can do it pretty cheaply.

Deposit of £170 will come from ds2 ‘s first full month of keep :T next months can pay for new passports and the month after the air bnb balance. Perhaps I should tempt fate though relying on his rent :rotfl:
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You're such a thoughtful mum Newgirly, your children are super lucky.

I'm haemorrhaging our food budget too. I used to be so good!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Totally agree with Cath - you're always thinking of lovely things for your children :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    Hi Cath and Vix , that’s very kind of you to say but I’m really not that nice :rotfl:

Cath I can’t believe you are spending too much on your food budget, you put most people on here to shame ;)

I’m quite enjoying the more back to basics day to day living, although we have upped the budget I don’t want to inflate our normal way of life, it’s so tempting to do especially with nice food. Not drinking has made a massive difference, I’ve not tracked it (too scary!) but shopping is a lot less, plus we have less frequent nights out and they don’t include a bucket of wine.
  • newgirly
    Payday Friday, that should top up the very sparse current account.

Off tomorrow and I’m taking my great aunt to the local country park for a walk and coffee. (Yet another coffee out!) she needs it at the moment though, normally caring for my dementia suffering disabled great uncle, who has been in hospital for the last couple of weeks. :( Shes having a really bad time at the moment so I really need to see her more.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback