PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a house from family.

Options
Hey, looking for some advise please, my partner and I are buying a house from his aunt, she has recently inherited the house from a non blood line family member which has now gone to probate. We’re were disappointed to find that we could not go though the application for a mortgage as the advisor said that my partner’s aunt would need to own the property for 6 months before she could sell ??
He mentioned this was back to back selling ? From looking up on this this would only be if a family member bought the house and sold within 6 months,not if if someone has inherited it

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    This is ridiculous on two counts.
    First of all, if the house is going through probate the aunts name won't be on the deeds yet and you'd buy from the estate.
    Secondly not all mortage companies will have such a ban and even those that do some would surely make an exception in a case like this.
    Find a new adviser. Is this one from a bank perhaps ?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 February 2019 at 8:54PM
    Options
    The condition in the CML Handbook (i.e. the standard solicitors instructions for most lenders) is
    5.1.1 Please report to us immediately if the owner or registered proprietor has been registered for less than six months.
    so I suppose it's conceivable that aunty becomes the "owner" on the basis that she's beneficially entitled to the property even if it's never registered in her name.

In any event, it's a "please report to us", not "we won't lend" - and I doubt it's difficult to find a lender who will take a sensible approach to it.

Obviously it doesn't involve the sort of mortgage fraud / money-laundering concern which surrounds back-to-back transactions (unless the death was arranged too!).
  • LynseyLily
    Options
    Yes it was a mortgage advisor with the bank. Thats what I thought. The house is going straight from the estate to us, so I fact it would never go in her name. Thank you for your advise
  • LynseyLily
    Options
    I thought that. Thanks for you're reply
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Executer(s) simply trasfer the property from the deceased's name to yours.

You pay the deceased's Estate. Your aunt inherits the money - she never owns the property.

(assumes there's enough in the Estate to cover Ineritance Tax, debts etc)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Buying of the estate should be straight forward transaction no need to even mention the aunt is a beneficiary.

Are you buying 100% market value with your own money or is she gifting you some?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And it's a problem for the estate to deal with. Probate, IHT & the estate have absolutely nothing to do with the OP.
  • LynseyLily
    Options
    House is valued slightly higher than what we will be paying. So we could use part of the reduced price as the deposit.

Thanks for your reply
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 February 2019 at 2:42PM
    Options
    LynseyLily wrote: »
    House is valued slightly higher than what we will be paying. So we could use part of the reduced price as the deposit.
    That complicates things incredibly...

I don't have time to explain as I'm on my way out but I'm sure someone will be along soon with a proper explanation of the issues it brings.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    LynseyLily wrote: »

Thanks for your reply

Will you be using some gifted equity or cash from the aunt?

Keep is simple you pay 100% of your offer from your own funds and mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure