Malware on budget Chinese smartphones, for G/F who hardly uses web?

Options
DEBTMONKEY1A
DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
edited 17 November 2018 at 11:23AM in Techie Stuff
Morning all! G/F's 2nd had Samsung S3 mini is I fear on its way out. Battery is not really holding charge & call quality/volume is not great.

Found her a good priced HomTom H16 smartphone on EBay....better camera/battery life/processor & ROM with SD card, this is ordered & on its way.

Aware of all horror stories online re: _operating systems pre installed malware/spyware.

Two questions.....

1-Any freeware mobile apps that will get rid of or at least warn of an infection?

2- She does no social media/online banking. She 'may' send the odd picture if i get Yahoo Mail set up on new phone & very, very occasionally do a Google search to check for example live flight arrivals or other general stuff. Possible ultra rare viewing on mobdro or the like of news or weather, but 95% of time just text/talk, possible Google duo on occasion via WiFi if she's overseas for video chatting.

Any ideas/thoughts on the above? Thanks!:T

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 November 2018 at 9:16AM
    Options
    Morning all! G/F's 2nd had Samsung S3 mini is I fear on its way out. Battery is not really holding charge & call quality/volume is not great.

Found her a good priced HomTom H16 smartphone on EBay....better camera/battery life/processor & ROM with SD card.

Aware of all horror stories online re: _operating systems pre installed malware/spyware.

Two questions.....

1-Any freeware mobile apps that will get rid of or at least warn of an infection?

2- She does no social media/online banking. She 'may' send the odd picture if i get Yahoo Mail set up on new phone & very, very occasionally do a Google search to check for example live flight arrivals or other general stuff. Possible ultra rare viewing on mobdro or the like of news or weather, but 95% of time just text/talk, possible Google duo on occasion via WiFi if she's overseas for video chatting.

Any ideas/thoughts on the above? Thanks!:T

Why not go for 1 of the Honor phones, the 7A or 7S are on Amazon for under £100.
    Honor are a sub brand of Huawei.
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    edited 17 November 2018 at 11:24AM
    Options
    Hi! Phone I'm afraid already ordered & in transit & funds very tight due to sick pay.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    malwarebytes is good as the prev poster pointed out. Are you suggesting the malware is in the ROM or because you are buying from china sometimes they have loaded malware onto it before shipping?

Some phones will come with pre-installed software, its not malware but bloatware (unwanted apps that occupy ram and may consume some data).
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Options
    Hi! Again thanks for replies. Will download and run malwarebytes prior to her using phone. I use malwarebytes on my windows PC & it is good.

In answer to last post I read somewhere that the malware/spyware is installed in the processor (begining with 'MK?!!!'). also..... Any EASY freeware to remove bloatware???

My G/F had a cheap Chinese phone a few years back and of its own accord it downloaded manga !!!!!!....much to her dismay lol! Admittedly NO malware/spyware scanners at the time were installed or ran to clear this !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure