Post Office Telecommunications Pension c 1978

Options
Hi All
I joined Post Office Telecommunications as an apprentice in 1974. After the 3 year apprenticeship had finished I worked as a technician for about 1 year before leaving the job completely to move away from the area to join my soon-to-be wife.

I am positive that everyone joining POT was automatically entered into the pension scheme but as it's so long ago I really don't know where to start looking.

BT took over some time after I left but I don't know what happened to any old pension being held at the time.

Does anyone have any ideas where I might start looking ?

Thanks in advance

Thermocline

Comments

• caveman38
    caveman38 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Your pension wouldn't be worth a great deal. I was an apprentice too, from 1968. If my memory serves me well, you would only have been entered into a pension scheme after 2 years service and if correct would only get 1 years service as a TTA and another as T2A.
    I would contact:

Pension Scheme Enquiries

People line are open between 8.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. If you are calling from
    within the UK, please telephone 0800 731 4747 if you are a BT employee, or 0800 731 1919 if you
    are no longer employed by BT.
    If you would rather put your enquiry in writing, please write to:
    BT Pension Services
    Accenture HR Services Limited
    Venture House, Venture Way
    Chesterfield S41 8NR.
    Or by Email [EMAIL="peopleline.pensions@accenture.com"]peopleline.pensions@accenture.com[/EMAIL]
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 November 2018 at 2:24PM
    Options
    Back then, it was the norm to need 5 years reckonable service in order to qualify for actual pension benefits.

Is it possible that you took a refund of your contributions when you left? Different schemes may have used slightly different rules, but when I left Leyland Motors in 1978 (being under 25 and with less than 5 years service) I received a refund cheque in the post without even asking for it.

By all means check, but don't get your hopes up.
  • robin61
    robin61 Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    I seem to remember everyone was automatically enrolled at age 18.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure