Hmm, pretty sure I can't do this....

Just had a message from a buyer who won an auction tonight.

I am presently having problems with my credit card which according to my bank will be solved in 48 hs.
In order not to delay you with the payment please send me your paypal address and I will send you the money
through Paypal with another card which belongs to my son in order not to delay the payment.
Thanks for understanding

Pretty sure this would be an 'off the Ebay books sale' ?

Buyer looks legit with almost 1700 feedback since 2013, almost 700 this year. Lots of feedback from vintage toys sellers, which this item is.

I'm thinking it will be simpler to just say I'm prepared to wait for 48 hours for his card to be sorted. Is this going to be the best approach?

Comments

• Has the item sold on eBay? If so, it will never be an off eBay sale.

It is up to you if you want to wait, but there is no harm in giving your Paypal email address to the buyer. When payment is made, ensure you log into Paypal to check the transaction is bonafide. Follow the rules if you want seller protection.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There appears to be a spate of this sort of request going round, I've seen quite a few mentions of it in the past couple of weeks alone. Whether it is eBay or PayPal having a glitch or its scammers , probably using a hijacked account , and they plan the fake Paypal email scam.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    They don't need your paypal address - they checkout the item, use paypal and just click to use a credit card, then enter their sons details. You can make one off purchases on paypal with ad hoc credit cards
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Has the item sold on eBay? If so, it will never be an off eBay sale.

It is up to you if you want to wait, but there is no harm in giving your Paypal email address to the buyer. When payment is made, ensure you log into Paypal to check the transaction is bonafide. Follow the rules if you want seller protection.

Doh, of course it's an ebay sale as they won the auction - cheers :embarasse

I'll provide my paypal email as his feedback is reassuring - and check paypal account before sending!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure