Dell Laptop Screen Faults - Returned, Repaired, Fed-up

Options
Hi all,

So my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 7577, has been sent away for its fourth repair (the third for the same fault) but I'm unclear what my options are now.

The laptop was bought in April this year and after about a month or so the screen started to develop a fault - white spots/blemishes - just after the in-store 28 day warranty ran out. I took it down to my local Currys PC World and they booked it in for repair as that was the only option provided to me which I accepted, hoping that it was a one-off.

The laptop was returned back to me repaired and with a new screen. However, on receiving the laptop I noticed a small scratch on the screen (behind the protective plastic section that encases the screen panel itself) which could only have been from the repair work carried out. I took it back to the store within about half an hour and it was immediately set up for a further return and again (after several delays) the laptop was returned with a new screen.

At this point I complained to Currys PC World via their online chat and they apologised and said that once the laptop had been returned to me they would send out a voucher by way of compensation - about £30. The laptop was again returned with a new screen and I received my compensation.

In September the same issue occurred once again and I was told by the in-store staff that the only option would be to get it repaired and in the meantime I should contact Dell to see what my options were. Dell promptly replied and said that as it was still under the standard 1 year warranty it was not their responsibility and I would have to contact Currys PC World for a repair. Throughout all of this Currys PC World have said that it would be up to the manufacturer to honour a replacement. Currys PC World in-store staff said that the laptop would likely have a more thorough repair done which would entail replacing both the screen and the backplate as it was likely that something inside the backplate was pushing against the back of the display and over time was damaging the screen.

While the laptop was being repaired I have been in continual contact with Currys PC World via their online chat and they have explained that unless the laptop goes back to them for the same fault 3 times there is nothing they can do (in-store staff say it has to be 4 times). After about a week or so the laptop was returned and it was confirmed that both the screen and backplate were replaced.

Unfortunately yesterday the same problem has appeared yet again but this time with 5-6 blemishes rather than the usual 1-2. Again I've taken it to my local Currys PC World store and they have booked it in for repair. I've also contacted Currys PC World via online chat and am waiting on a response.

This is by no means an isolated issue it would seem as searching for "dell white spots on screen" in Google returns hundreds of results including videos and forum posts. The laptop is transported with a lot of care - if it isn't sat on my desk, it's put within a fleeced and padded laptop sleeve and then put into its own compartment within my rucksack.

I've attempted to contact Which but they will only offer legal advice if I sign up to their subscription which I can't afford, especially if it's unclear if I will get it resolved with a legal case. I have also searched for an Ombudsman but Currys PC World don't appear to be a member of any such scheme.

To top all of this off, after searching for a potential replacement laptop (if I do eventually get a refund or offer of replacement), the only alternatives in my price range (this laptop was purchased at the top end of my budget at £899.99) are the newer model of my laptop which has the same specification but with a marginally upgraded processor and still with the same panel and backplate set-up, or a lower specification with a different brand, HP. To get a different screen but otherwise a similar specification I have to spend £400 extra for a Dell XPS for £1,299.99. This model comes with a touchscreen that I would never use but the screens appear to be more robust, at least from the pictures.

What are my options and rights to getting this resolved at last as soon as possible?

Many thanks,

Andrew

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Once 30 days from purchase date has passed, a seller is allowed a single repair attempt. If the goods still fail to conform to contract (whether due to the same fault, or a different fault) you are entitled to reject the goods for a refund (full refund if under 6 months from purchase). Alternatively you can allow the seller to offer a replacement - you do NOT have to allow the seller to continue to provide repairs.

(Consumer Rights Act 2015).
  • Shoxt3r
    Shoxt3r Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi DoaM,

Unfortunately it's now been 7 months since purchase so I am outside of the 6 month full refund period. I was not told about my rights with regard to rejecting the goods and was simply told that all they could do was keep repairing it up to 4 times before they would write it off.

What am I entitled to do now that it has gone back for further repair, and what action should I take?

After sending a message to Currys PC World I received the following back from them:
    Hi Andrew. I am very sorry to learn the Laptop has again developed a fault with the screen. I see this has been booked in at the store and is due to be collected for assessment under job ref XXXXXX [omitted for security]. Until we have the unit in our clinic and assessed there is nothing I can advise, apologies. The store have noted on the booking to consider a write off. You will be updated by Text message on the progress and we can chase this here for you also. - Angela J

Thanks,

Andrew
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Shoxt3r wrote: »
    Hi DoaM,

Unfortunately it's now been 7 months since purchase so I am outside of the 6 month full refund period.

No you're not. The clock was frozen the moment you made the initial claim. Had it been a completely different fault then that would be different but you're dealing with the same issue you've had since May. You are entitled to a full refund or replacement if you choose to take one.
  • Shoxt3r
    Options
    Thanks for the reply!
    I've checked my records again and found that the first repair was actually done in August, around 4 months after purchase.

Therefore what is the best procedure now?
    The laptop is currently out of my hands and with my local store ready to be picked up for repair/assessment.

Thanks again,

Andrew
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you reported the fault "just after the in-store 28 day warranty ran out" (which would mean May for an April purchase), how was the repair carried out in August? Did they really have it for all that time?

Either way, the goods still fail to conform to contract so you are entitled to a full refund (or replacement if you prefer).

Technically it is for you to prove the inherent fault exists (as it is now past 6 months from purchase) but, as indicated above, you could easily argue that this is the same fault as previous so the 6 months burden of responsibility change does not apply.

Best procedure now? Go back to the store to enforce your consumer rights ... or let things slide to get another repair.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    No you're not. The clock was frozen the moment you made the initial claim. Had it been a completely different fault then that would be different but you're dealing with the same issue you've had since May. You are entitled to a full refund or replacement if you choose to take one.
    Actually it doesn't have to be the same fault, any further faults would allow the buyer to exercise their final right to reject.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Shoxt3r wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply!
    I've checked my records again and found that the first repair was actually done in August, around 4 months after purchase.

Therefore what is the best procedure now?
    The laptop is currently out of my hands and with my local store ready to be picked up for repair/assessment.

Thanks again,

Andrew
    You need to go back to them and explain that under the CRA 2015 you are entitled to exercise your final right to reject the laptop.
  • Shoxt3r
    edited 15 November 2018 at 7:46PM
    Options
    Apologies - I didn't have the full paperwork in front of me when I wrote the post. It was purchased in April, but had to be sent for repair in August. Every month (September, October) since then there has been a problem with the screen in some form or another (due to the same "white spots" fault, or the issue with it being scratched during repair).

I have tracked it and can see that it hasn't left my local Currys PC World store yet so I'm going to head there after work and see what they have to say.

What are my options if they don't go along with the idea of exercising my right to reject the laptop? I assume I either have it sent away for repair or just take it home for now...

It's ridiculous that I'm having to fight because of a fault that isn't even down to Currys PC World; it's Dell that's caused the issue! I spoke to Dell via their Online Chat and they explained that the warranty only covers parts so has to be arranged by Currys PC World, or Currys themselves have to offer me the refund/replacement. Unless I was prepared to pay out for a Dell Warranty they wouldn't help me.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    The contract is with Currys/PC World they have to honour the terms of the CRA , nothing to do with Dell, they made it but your contract is with that SOS where you bought it.
    1 repair good, any more money back, no arguments
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Shoxt3r
    Options
    I've now been back to the store and they have given me back the laptop and will be calling their head office tomorrow morning as unfortunately they're closed now. A decision couldn't be made by the store itself the manager said as the laptop is now 7 months old. Within the 6 month period the store is able to provide a refund no question but as it's over that now he apparently has to contact head office.

They have also provided me with a direct number for Dell Customer Services and they have advised that I contact them myself in the hope that one way or another it will be resolved. The number they've given me is 0800 587 1456.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure