Which screenscraper do you prefer? Cheap flights guide

Comments

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    davholla wrote: »
    Do you have to phone them up to buy the tickets? If so it is a con, they advertise a price £150 cheaper than anyone else but when you phone them it is "sold out" (never existed) and they offer more expensive tickets.
    I complained to the ASA about these but they said that it was a website so they couldn't do anything.

No, they are all online. Their prices look suspiciously like the other fares minus the tax but when I went all through the booking process to entering credit card details there was no mention of any extras being added. The fares breakdown claimed the "taxes and fees" were £7 where for every other site they were over £50.

It all sounded to good to be true - which in my experience that usually means that it is. After doing some research I have found some very bad reviews on other sites so I think I'll be sticking with the likes of Expedia.
  • I have frequently used liligo.com for my long haul flights LHR-MNL-LHR and have got a better deal each time. :money:
  • Looking to book a flight with Travelocity came out cheapest anyone used them. Read some reviews that they had poor service ?
  • I've never had problems with Travelocity. They are now part of Expedia which in my view is the industry leader.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team
  • darlodave
    darlodave Posts: 15 Forumite
    I've never had problems with Travelocity. They are now part of Expedia which in my view is the industry leader.

In terms of booking multi-flights I find Expedia and LastMInute.com head and shoulders above the rest. Kayak and Skyscanner simply do not produce decent options, if any. For example Newcastle via Miami to Port of Spain total confused Skyscanner but Expedia produces a decent price. Rather like booking a rail journey by single tickets I suspect sites that have a good multi-journey function will thrive. Expedia has always delivered - never had a problem. An industry leader.

I do like Skyscanner for booking standard return flights. Their flexible month facility a useful function. They also scrape some of the smaller agents who can offer better deals. Check these agents are registered with ATOL and ABTA.
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    i tend to always use skyscanner and have found some genuine bargains , have taken the risk of booking through an agent but never had a problem
    £433 to melbourne isnt to be sniffed at
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In terms of booking multi-flights I find Expedia and LastMInute.com head and shoulders above the rest. Kayak and Skyscanner simply do not produce decent options, if any.

Whilst lastminute.com were pretty decent I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole now. They've been taken over by Bravofly who don't have the greatest reputation.

Always found KAYAK excellent for multicity. Skyscanner for the short European hops.
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I used every "flight finder" I could think of, trying to get a cheap(ish) flight to Budapest for four days or so in September from either EMA or BHX....only Jet2 coming up as a direct flight (EMA) and quite expensive.
    A light bulb moment and I looked at Wizz Air. Not my favourite airline but they fly direct from BHX to Budapest at quite a reasonable rate.
    So not everything shows up, try and do your own round of all the cheaper flight operators direct.
    Normal people worry me.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I used every "flight finder" I could think of, trying to get a cheap(ish) flight to Budapest for four days or so in September from either EMA or BHX....only Jet2 coming up as a direct flight (EMA) and quite expensive.
    A light bulb moment and I looked at Wizz Air. Not my favourite airline but they fly direct from BHX to Budapest at quite a reasonable rate.
    So not everything shows up, try and do your own round of all the cheaper flight operators direct.

Yes, btw kayak has a box that you can tick to include nearby airports and by doing this it would include flights from BHX.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Wizzair from BHX to both Warsaw and Budapest show on Skyscanner when I look.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure