Young Drivers' Car Insurance Discussion

Comments

• Im a 19 year old male ,and been past my test over a year (04/06/10) , havent owned a car because the quotes when i passed were ridiculous 5k + the cheapest quote iv had was from adrian flux 2k third party(1.0 corsa 51 reg), just wonderd if any one had any tips on cars that will be cheaper to insure maybe and any other good insurance companys that are worth a try?
    Thanks
  • Also a very good tip is when you are within a month or two of your renewal date start getting quotes from your existing and new companies. My son (19) went with Aviva as this was the cheapest, a month before the renewal went on as a new customer and they quoted £2200 then when his renewal came it was £3400 so rang them up and said he would renew at the £2200 and they said fine, just checked the renewal quotation number that was still valid therfore saved £1200
  • My daughters are both at university. I would like to find an insurance company who will accept them as named drivers on my wife's policy but allow them to be insured only during the holiday periods ( ie Xmas, Easter and the Summer holidays) - I can't see the point of paying for 12 months insurance (£1600) - when they will only need 5 months. Most companies seem incapable of supporting this model, even though they seem paranoid that my wife is just "fronting" them - which clearly she isn't for this model.

Anyone got any suggestions.

Thank You
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Your best option is to contact insurers directly and ask the question. If you are using aggregators they will not be equipped to do this. However, if your daughters are the main users during holiday periods there is an argument for insurers that they should be paid the proper premium for the year as your daughters will be using the vehicle for several months.

Some insurers will add them on for a month at a time but that means that summer hols etc they will be restricted.

We have shopped around and managed to obtain insurance to cover our daughter (who is at Uni) on both of our other vehicles for only an increase in excess to £200 whilst she is driving. She does have her own vehicle insured in her own name though, so I suspect this reflects the positive premium.

To be honest £1600 for two young drivers seems like a bargain!
  • Hi all,
    can you tell me if my son '20years old' has car insurance and i am it as well as a named driver 'to bring the price down'
    in 2-3 years time, when my daughter wants to drive and hopefully i can take my name off my sons insuarnce ' as he will have 4 years no claims, can i use that 4 years of me on the policy on my daughters new car insurance?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    buckrogers wrote: »
    Hi all,
    can you tell me if my son '20years old' has car insurance and i am it as well as a named driver 'to bring the price down'
    in 2-3 years time, when my daughter wants to drive and hopefully i can take my name off my sons insuarnce ' as he will have 4 years no claims, can i use that 4 years of me on the policy on my daughters new car insurance?

The no claims discount applies to the main policy holder, you may have years of accident free driving but you will not have a no claims discount as a named driver. Do you have your own insurance policy that you have a non claims discount on
  • Caz3121 wrote: »
    The no claims discount applies to the main policy holder, you may have years of accident free driving but you will not have a no claims discount as a named driver. Do you have your own insurance policy that you have a non claims discount on

yes i have my own no claims discount
  • will i get a decent price if i dont have any ncd?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes if by decent your thinking of £3000 ish.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Hadrian
    Hadrian Posts: 283 Forumite
    This story got me interested (Salford teenager...)

The BBC report...

... and then goes on to say...

The first quote talks about drivers aged 17 to 24 but the second compares them to drivers aged over 30.

I did some maths and it seems that drivers aged 17-24 are 3.14 times more likely to be involved in an accident than drivers aged over 24.

You may recognise 3.14 as pi. It gets better, I checked and the maths worked out at 22/7 exactly (the non-decimal representation of pi).

I'm sure many readers would have read it as young drivers aged 17-24 being ten times more likely to have an accident.

GG
    Wrote some figures down from the BBC Radio the other day - 57% of 17 - 19 year olds have an accident in the first year. The 17 to 21 age group have 61,639 accidents in their first 6 months as a 'proficient' driver. How can a caring responsible parent entertain the idea of paying £1000's to insure their child to drive a car knowing the above figures? Don't they realise that the exhorbitant amounts Insurance Company's require to insure first time drivers reflects their assessment of the RISK they are taking on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure