PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Comments

• 1) Fab day again, washing out on the line, wall to wall sunshine and 'holiday feeling' for once.

2) Met a 12 week old Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy this afternoon, a little poppet called Nandy, so good, so calm and very friendly. She's going to make a big dog, she has very long legs and large paws, beautiful.

3)Lots of people raking up leaves in front gardens, although it's fabulously warm it still feels and smells like the beginning of Autumn.

4) Really good fireworks last night at around 9.30, don't know what for but quite close by, a really good display.

5) Yesterday afternoon walking Cookie by the river and seeing the very young children (5 up) who have been learning to sail pram dinghies in 'KIPPER WEEK' at the boat club on the river all troop along the front and into the park holding hands in a crocodile. Colour coded in groups with different coloured t shirts on. What a super week they've had weather wise, they all looked super happy, bless!
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Art'noon - and what a lovely one it is.

MrsLW - as someone who only really likes summer, I am clinging on with all my might to the fact that autumn is still weeks off :p

Pleasures for the last whenever.

1. Went to see dad, he is ok. Had a lovely walk by the blue sea (the N. sea is usually grey so this felt a treat)
    2. Drove to dads, then round to DD's (7 miles by sea - about 60 by land) and then from DDs home ALL BY MYSELF! :T This is a pleasure not cos i could drive it by myself, but that i was by myself. This does not happen much in a car and i could sing as loud as i wanted and what i wanted with no one to object :rotfl:
    3. The great flat clearance has occurred. Not a pleasure in terms of stuff that's come into our house, but a pleasure that a put-off job is done. and the main thing is that DD seems totally ok with moving away. It's a little sad that we now have no reason to ever go to Southend again, but only cos it's an era finished, not cos Southend is wonderful :)
    4. A much needed curry and beer when we got back last night.
    5. Watched all outstanding who do you think you are's on Friday.

have a lovely afternoon in this lovely weather.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Welcome Wecome Shirlad 62!
    We got our montage in the early 80's at 14% interest :eek: and felt blessed to get such a low rate because we had good credit. What a milestone accomplishment for you guys. Congratulations! :T:T:T
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,148 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hello, Shirlad62.

Pleasures for today (Sunday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens well. We cleaned out their sleeping area then cleaned out the little shed on the allotment.

3) Tomato soup for lunch, always popular.

4) Cleaned the turtles out, did washing, steamed the floors etc.

5) My school friend came round bringing a board game for us to try plus various components of our tea!

6) Watched a bat outside - very muggy this evening.
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Shirlad62, glad you've joined us :) Ouch to these scary mortgages, but at the moment, I'm just jealous of people who have one....(ish)!!

1. Sunshine!

2. KW met and liked my parents. I think they liked him, he was here for hours, for both lunch and dinner, and we sat out chatting in the garden all afternoon, but my dad has just agreed that he's nice with "Yes" and my mum's not said anything to me, but has said to MissKitty that he's nice. I'm taking it as a win, lol, as I know they'll have reservations, but I haven't :)

3. DD - the best daughter a mummykins could have, for so many reasons. She was the one who instigated KW coming over, and whilst he and I were nervous about it (as they have previous for not liking (and making their opinions known) friends of me and my brother), but without her intervention, we might never have got round to it!

4. 71p for the Marmite jar.

5. Chocolate!
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,562 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 August 2017 at 11:00AM
    Tried to post hier soir but tinternet obliged not. Sameoldsameold.

Shirlad62 :-) special Welcomes to old-style pleasures and for making them your 1st post:-)

1. Just on a kg of blackberries picked here, too:-) from back field after church. Surprised that arm's still stinging after nettles.

2. Lovely weather. Long may it last, & being of vjm's persuasion. So often, BHs in this country mean rain.

3. Nobly stuck at tedious grating of 10 frozen lemons (and not many knuckles) for lemon curd. 4 x 1lb jars greet me this morning :-). Yum!

4. Raspberries are really crowding in now. Hope neighbour will enjoy picking them in &absence. Watering daily. New planting seems to be surviving.

5. More congratulations, this time at Church and town of horse Emporium (J. played at decent rep. level, Lainey) re: &'s double rugby glory. Perfect company in The Alma, with 3 ( impossibly young) archaeology PhDs, Frith. Astonishing pics of most recent Mycenaean dig+uncoverings, inc. site scorpions.
    #
    Kk- good tidings on all fronts. Happiness is contagious and yours is well deserved - work and ��.). We remember the misery some mentors actively caused you in your pgce year. You have done so much to change your life positively. Losing your loved house back then, too.

Mhags - ?s came into our poem too. H had 'lost' his black work book, so "Where is H's big black book?/ Where did he last see it?/ Is it in his bed? / Is it on his head? Don't be silly, &! / Let's read " Fox in Socks" instead." Previous week's was on H's leftover birthday cake. Parents are most worried about reading and writing, so these little exercises work well AND H is so proud to show and read them aloud, with great expression. It really does seem true that all 3 children look forward to our Fridays. £20 for 4 hours(and the rest) covers petrol and little else, but it's important. Away for 3 from next wk anyway.

Caryl Churchill's "Unman, Wittering and Zigo" on r4x, brilliantly done, if difficult listen. Remember the 1960s furore surrounding it all those years ago.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b092g2h0
    #
    Freeflowing BH traffic to all.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    A welcome to Shirlad62
    Glad the visit went well KK and :j for that wise DD

Some Sunday pleasures,

Early up and round the field with little dog by 7.30, all peace and quiet.

Getting hot working in the garden, accompanied by the sparrow squadrons circling the house and then even hotter cooking a roast, smashing weather.

The second batch of salad leaves are doing even better than the first and am picking every day.

Drowsy heat of a sunday afternoon on the swing seat, might have had a little nap...

Windows open until late so just the candles lit to avoid beasties coming in.
  • The RUGBY is back!!!!! HOORAH & watched the Toulon vs Pau game in its entirety yesterday afternoon and my world clicked back into place Oh le balloon ovale c'est magnifique!!!

We might be losing the Cookie dog, her Grandad sadly passed away a few weeks ago and Grandma is mightily lonely so her lovely daughter is going to 'softly-softly' seed the idea of Cookie going for a short while to keep her company and in all likelihood that will turn into a permanent arrangement. I shall miss the walks, she's such a sweet little dog and so friendly with everyone and their hounds that we meet when we're out but I think it is SUCH a sensible idea that I'll be able to let her go with ease and there is nothing to stop He Who Knows and myself from going on the same walks every day anyway!

1) Home grown sweetcorn, this year they have been the best and sweetest we've ever managed to grow.

2) Put a light quilt on the bed last night and had a much better sleep, I must have been getting cold in the wee small hours and not realising it!

3) He Who Knows is 'doing' again, he's having to be slow and careful but yesterday he managed to walk to the allotment and harvest, walk to the paper shop and get his morning paper and some milk, he watered the garden in the evening and managed a walk to the pub later on for a pint, things progress.

4) Chat on the phone to DD1 and Pushkin cat who has been a little under the weather since he came back from the boarding kennels seems now to be in fine form again, relief!

5) The runner beans have slowed down A REAL PLEASURE as in desperation I made runner bean soup yesterday!!!
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bedtime.

A busy day.
    Work . Assuming I've been paid, haven't had a chance to check.
    Picked up boxes from supermarket & donation bags at salvos on way home.

My friend who's husband died called me & we had a good chat.

Sold a mirror. Another $20 in the pretty glass jar.

Call from hospital to say DD2's first hip procedure is next week. An overnight stay & they will let me stay too as she's under 18. We were on a 90 day waiting list that's way past. I had called a few weeks ago & had a joyless result. Mentioned to GP last week & that's obviously done the trick.

So all the above kind of ate into clearing / sorting time. Took 2 bags to salvos. Went to supermarket for cleaning products and popped into salvos for a look and may have came out with 2 summer skirts and 2 tops all half price plus my loyalty card discount .

So then instead of tidying I read a book & snuggled on the office sofa with the dog! May have snoozed. Finished book & took it back to library.

Then up to post office with DD2 to get passport photos taken.

Then I started sorting my office . Then craft stuff. Lots of photos. Lots of memories .lots of tears.

Then made macaroni. Then took some things to charity bins and then picked up DD1 whilst walking the dog! Apparently the macaroni was delicious. Too late for me to eat by this time. Will be lunch tomorrow .
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    well done master frith
    funnily enough i didn't think of your pension plan bop on way in i thought of yummy breakfast, on way back i had a snoozette back home
    8 weeks mhags back in time for dreechness (just one of the wonderful scottish words i have met while up here)
    1) Friday drive home uneventful
    2) Saturday was writing talk / carrying on with house declutter / shopping / mowing lawn
    3) Sunday my birthday - a full cathedral sang me happy birthday, accompanied by a wonderfully loud organ. was rather magical
    4) then home, quick lunch and flight to helsinki
    5) today have facilitated an LGBT workshop (not lettuce, gerkin, bacon and tomato as i rather naughtily told an older member of the congregation tut tut), presented, networked, and attended a couple of symposiums (symposia?) next is president's welcome then hop on the tram to meet colleagues for dinner.
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure