Cheapest (safe) place to buy bitcoin/ethereum?

2»

Comments

• mbzon
    mbzon Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So I decided to go with GDAX, exchanging and transfering the money for free and with the inter-bank rate on revolut app (which is an amazing app btw!). But now they tell me they want not one but TWO IDs.... And they only accept passport, driving licence or government ID, of which I only have a passport...

Anyone have any suggestions about that?

So guess I'll have to transfer my money back out and see what else there is....

Bitfinex looks popular but unfortunately they are not taking new accounts at the moment... Binance as well... Who would have known how hard it would be to get some of these damn currencies :/

Will update once I actually get some.
  • Your best bet may be to contact GDAX/Coinbase support and explain you only have a passport. They should have a pretty good support service. Worth a try while waiting for other exchanges to open up again.
  • mbzon
    edited 12 January 2018 at 12:32PM
    Your best bet may be to contact GDAX/Coinbase support and explain you only have a passport. They should have a pretty good support service. Worth a try while waiting for other exchanges to open up again.

I did, but they are not replying. Actually their support seems quite bad, at least in the current time. I had to go through their support pages 3 times, email them, be replied with more support pages and have to click in the email that my answer wasnt there, then they replied again with an automated answer copied from the support pages which I'd now read 4-5 times and said reply if this doesn't cover you which I did, and now I am waiting almost 2 days so far, not even sure if they will reply at all...

Binance just opened their registration and I signed up, only to find out that they don't take fiat currency deposits, actually just noticed almost all of the exchanges are like this :( I guess you need a certain legal status for it.

I might just have to get through localbitcoins and change to other currencies from there... Gonna have to crunch the numbers how much money I'm going to lose on that :/

Edit:
    Scrap that last bit, the best price on localbitcoins is 4% higher than GDAX.

Am now looking for any high volume exchange that accepts UK bank transfer or SEPA...
  • hopon
    hopon Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kraken (assuming they're currently accepting new accounts) accept SEPA transfers
    ..........Insert amusing tagline here..........
  • ivormonee
    ivormonee Posts: 395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kraken is completely down. Gdax ID verification keeps failing. Support not responding. Shambles.
  • rtt2017
    rtt2017 Posts: 27 Forumite
    mbzon wrote: »
    I did, but they are not replying. Actually their support seems quite bad, at least in the current time. I had to go through their support pages 3 times, email them, be replied with more support pages and have to click in the email that my answer wasnt there, then they replied again with an automated answer copied from the support pages which I'd now read 4-5 times and said reply if this doesn't cover you which I did, and now I am waiting almost 2 days so far, not even sure if they will reply at all...

Binance just opened their registration and I signed up, only to find out that they don't take fiat currency deposits, actually just noticed almost all of the exchanges are like this :( I guess you need a certain legal status for it.

I might just have to get through localbitcoins and change to other currencies from there... Gonna have to crunch the numbers how much money I'm going to lose on that :/

Edit:
    Scrap that last bit, the best price on localbitcoins is 4% higher than GDAX.

Am now looking for any high volume exchange that accepts UK bank transfer or SEPA...

Why not use the REVOLUT APP? It is free to buy, and although the bitcoin/eth price is usually -5 percent off other exchanges, you can buy and sell instantly, so has its advantages

you dont need any ID, and you can fund via uk bank or debit card
  • ivormonee
    ivormonee Posts: 395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Curos wrote: »
    As for 'smaller' cryptos, the only place I've found so far that works/has lots of cryptos/has good reviews (doing a very basic amount of research) is bitfinex dot com - I've already transferred some Bitcoin to the platform and that went through fine (although the transaction speed was very slow, due to how busy the network is rather than any fault of the platform). I'll be buying some other cryptos using the Bitcoin I transferred over and then transferring all funds away from the exchange and into my wallet(s).

Might be worth noting that Bitfinex has a minimum deposit of $10,000 so unless you have around £7,300 you may need to try somewhere else.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    mbzon wrote: »

(just for the record I am not buying bitcoin to get rich quick or anything like that, it's actually been something I've wanted to buy into for several years now)

Been speaking to your shoe shine boy ?

Anyway, IMNSHO if you arent buying them to get rich, you shouldn't buy them since there's no other point.
  • mbzon
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Been speaking to your shoe shine boy ?

Anyway, IMNSHO if you arent buying them to get rich, you shouldn't buy them since there's no other point.

My original reason 1+ years ago was because I don't trust in the regular financial system, especially in the last few years with the whole world going a bit crazy. Having a little money in crypto could be good if there's any major crisis it will most likely increase in value.

I'm also interested in learning how to trade it for educated investing so 1k will be a nice amount to practice with and see if I want to add more later on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure