PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

If I pay cash for a freehold terrace house do I legally need buildings insurance?

Comments

• chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My house hasn't been insured for about 10 years. If it was somehow destroyed, I would build a new (and much better) house on the plot.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    My house hasn't been insured for about 10 years. If it was somehow destroyed, I would build a new (and much better) house on the plot.

But a tent is easy to replace. :p
  • chucknorris
    westv wrote: »
    But a tent is easy to replace. :p

Sorry to hear that you live in a tent, we live in a 3 bed detached house? We would build a 4/5 bed detached house on the plot if it came to having to build.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    But surely insurance is still a good idea, as you'd have the money from the payout to put towards construction costs.
  • chucknorris
    Slithery wrote: »
    But surely insurance is still a good idea, as you'd have the money from the payout to put towards construction costs.

I don't think insurance is value, because on top of the actual risk, you are also paying for the overheads and profit of the both the underwriter and the broker. Also if you did get a policy that you allowed you to build something different, it would probably be more expensive. Although that said, we are unlikely to live here much longer, we are currently looking for another house. But we probably won't get insurance for the next house anyway.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Of course insurance isn't value if you never make a claim as it's money down the drain. But on the other hand you say that, if your house was destroyed you wouldn't care you would just build another better one in it's place.
    Excuse my bluntness but do you have learning difficulties.
    If you have no insurance then you will have to shoulder that cost, whereas an insurance policy would pay for that. A lifetimes worth of premiums for a 3 bedroom house probably wouldn't even get your rebuild off of the architects drawing board.
    Even worse, what if some incident to do with your building caused serious injury to a member of the public. Do you have the wherewithal to cover any claim against you, a claim that could run into the high hundreds of thousands of pounds or above.
  • chucknorris
    chappers wrote: »
    Of course insurance isn't value if you never make a claim as it's money down the drain. But on the other hand you say that, if your house was destroyed you wouldn't care you would just build another better one in it's place.
    Excuse my bluntness but do you have learning difficulties.
    If you have no insurance then you will have to shoulder that cost, whereas an insurance policy would pay for that. A lifetimes worth of premiums for a 3 bedroom house probably wouldn't even get your rebuild off of the architects drawing board.
    Even worse, what if some incident to do with your building caused serious injury to a member of the public. Do you have the wherewithal to cover any claim against you, a claim that could run into the high hundreds of thousands of pounds or above.

I'm a chartered quantity surveyor, working as a university lecturer (teaching quantity surveying), and I'm also a self made mulit-millionaire. No, I'm not excusing your bluntness, if one of us has learning difficulties, it must be you, because it certainly isn't me.

You are missing the point It isn't value because you are paying more than the actual risk, to put it in layman's terms it is like backing a 200/1 horse at 150/1, that is bad value, the value isn't anything to do with whether you claim or not, that is an unknown variable at the time of taking out insurance.
  • messes
    messes Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes, you may be paying more than the actual risk, although the odds of a disaster damaging your house are much better than playing the lottery.

However other less expensive events than total destruction like water damage, electrical fire are going to have a higher chance of occurance and you don't want to cover against these either?

Still unless I was sitting on a nice pot of money, and to be honest even if I was. I'd rather take the contribution of the insurance company to rebuilding into the mansion. After all the costs are relatively minor compared to all the other outlays of running a home.
  • chucknorris
    messes wrote: »
    Yes, you may be paying more than the actual risk, although the odds of a disaster damaging your house are much better than playing the lottery.

However other less expensive events than total destruction like water damage, electrical fire are going to have a higher chance of occurance and you don't want to cover against these either?

Still unless I was sitting on a nice pot of money, and to be honest even if I was. I'd rather take the contribution of the insurance company to rebuilding into the mansion. After all the costs are relatively minor compared to all the other outlays of running a home.

That would be your choice, why can't I make mine? I am sitting on a 'nice pot of money', and I managed to do that because I can identify value. But it is nice to get a sensible response, instead of a troll asking me if I have learning difficulties. It isn't as if we are unaware of the risks that can occur, until recently we owned 8 London investment properties, but we sold 2 this year, so we still own 6, and I have been a landlord for over 26 years, in addition to that I am a chartered surveyor, so we know what we are doing with properties.

By the way, in my particular circumstances there wouldn't actually be any cost in the case of the 'worse case scenario'. I own a much smaller house than the building plot could normally justify, in fact, it was a marginal decision not to demolish and rebuild. I just don't need the money, otherwise I would have done so, and if we actually wanted to stay in Dorking, we would have.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    , to put it in layman's terms it is like backing a 200/1 horse at 150/1, that is bad value, the value isn't anything to do with whether you claim or not, that is an unknown variable at the time of taking out insurance.

No it's not, there aren't variable risks, you either have an insurable event or you don't. it's not about value in the premiums or lack of them. its about value in the costs of rectifying the issue.
    as soon as an insurable event has happened all of the value between not paying a premium and paying one is lost, if the insurable event costs more than the premiums to repair.
    You haven't accrued money by assessing value, you have accrued money by assessing risk in this case.
    Most people are less able to take that risk on.

As for the loss of your house not costing you anything because you would build something better and make more money from it. that is total rubbish, you could still do that except the outlay to yourself would be less.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure