replacing run flat tyres

Options
Hi
I have BMW 3 Series,it came with run flat tyres,and when it was time to replace tyres,I bought 4 new run flats and it cost me a fortune then.
It is now time for next MOT and I know the rear tyres needs to be changed.
Can I go for normal tyres for the rear and keep my run flats in the front?
I may be selling the car in next 2-3 years anyway.
I am told normal tyres give much better ride quality.And I do have AA cover in case of a puncture.
any ideas or advice??

Comments

• rich13348
    rich13348 Posts: 840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    I have BMW 3 Series,it came with run flat tyres,and when it was time to replace tyres,I bought 4 new run flats and it cost me a fortune then.
    It is now time for next MOT and I know the rear tyres needs to be changed.
    Can I go for normal tyres for the rear and keep my run flats in the front?
    I may be selling the car in next 2-3 years anyway.
    I am told normal tyres give much better ride quality.And I do have AA cover in case of a puncture.
    any ideas or advice??

If you have tyres or different types I.e. run flat on front and normal on back then that will throw out the TPMS as the tyres will not be at the same pressure.
  • gilbert_and_sullivan
    Options
    If you have a look on Tyreleader/Mytyres/Oponeo/Camskill, in no particular order you might find runflats are now quite reasonably priced, for known decent makes, not as you'd want to fit unheard of tat to the back of Beemer.

My son has Firestone 17" runflats on his 2007 325i estate and swears by them, superb grip all weathers and wearing well, very well priced.
  • 11fernsroad
    11fernsroad Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i did have a look at those sites.RFT are little pricey and on top of it fitting charges too.
    how much do we need to pay for it to be fitted per tyre?
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    rich13348 wrote: »
    If you have tyres or different types I.e. run flat on front and normal on back then that will throw out the TPMS as the tyres will not be at the same pressure.

No it won't. The tyres wouldn't be at the same pressure front-rear anyway, and the TPMS will react to a pressure drop once it's self calibrated.

Plenty of people do just what the OP has asked about.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Indeed, at my previous company, all the leased BMW's came with regular tyres and not run flats.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Indeed, at my previous company, all the leased BMW's came with regular tyres and not run flats.

I was referring to a mix of RFT at one end and non-RFT at the other, though, as per the OP.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A mix of run-flats and non run-flats goes against all advice - tyre fitters, tyre manufacturers and car manufacturers too.

Especially non run-flats to the rear.

You can ask/check on any BMW forum - this one is particularly friendly towards newbies:

http://www.bmwlander.co.uk/index.php?forums/

Due to their different characteristics the handling of the car will be quite strange. Runflats have stiffer side-walls - but not as stiff as they used to be.

Most of the E90 series BMWs came original with the horrid Bridgestone Potenzas which gave a hatsh ride compared to conventional tyres.

They were so bad that many folks were put off run-flats for life.

However run-flat technology has moved on hugely in the last few years and there is no longer the considerable price difference that there once was.

Continental for example say their run-flats have side-walls only 3% stiffer than conventional tyres.

I would shop around for a decent price for a pair of runflats.

I've found that the rear tyres on most BMWs wear 3 times more than the fronts.

The TPMS would not be affected if you were to change to non run-flats.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I read something about insurance companies classing a switch from runflats to standard tyres a modification and fleecing accordingly.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    Doesn't make it a good idea though.

OP, don't mix your tyres, if you want to change to non-RFT then get a full set.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    I read something about insurance companies classing a switch from runflats to standard tyres a modification and fleecing accordingly.
    It is but I've not heard of many that increase premiums accordingly.

I was going to suggest the OP ask his question over on the forums at bmwland.co.uk but that site is sadly down currently but he could try bimmerforums.co.uk or babybmw.net.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure