MSE News: BT to raise prices AGAIN - how to beat the hikes

Options

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,004 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In April BT gave me 180 plus 150 plus 80 to switch to them,free connection (I was coming back from virgin) a free router and a free stb. If now 3 months later they will let me leave penalty free I will be more than happy. No email yet though and nothing on logging in to my account.
    I think....
  • djhworld
    djhworld Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BT need the cash becuase they paid a fortune for the Premier League TV rights.

Do what I did last year and just leave, you can do it, even mid contract.
    Can I afford to buy? Mortgage Affordability Calculator

https://caniaffordtobuy.co.uk/
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    AndrewJB wrote: »
    I moved to BT in February on an 18-month contract. The order email specifically says: 'Our prices and terms may change at any time while you're in contract with us. We'll let you know about any important changes before they happen.'

The offer I got was not for a new contract though, it was supposed to be a bribe (I think) for not leaving at the time of the last price increase and instead taking out a new 18 month contract.

I’ve noticed that my broadband price actually isn’t increasing but my weekend call package is going up by 50p so I am going to take the opportunity to leave. I think paying £31 a month is too much...
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    I'm hoping they increase my price so I can leave!

I signed up to 18 months super fast fibre for 31.99 a month at the beginning of the year with a 100 Mastercard and 170 Quidco (although they only paid me 70, not 170)

So I reckon I could swap, get cashback again from Topcashback / Quidco etc, reduce my price and would have had much of this year essentially free.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,004 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    In April BT gave me 180 plus 150 plus 80 to switch to them,free connection (I was coming back from virgin) a free router and a free stb. If now 3 months later they will let me leave penalty free I will be more than happy. No email yet though and nothing on logging in to my account.

Got the letter today :j

I need to figure exactly how much BT will have paid me for having broadband with them for approx 3 months - definitely over £100 and probably over £200.

Hopefully Martin's next newletter will have some good suggestions on where to go next. :)
    I think....
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    I still haven't been able to work out if I'll have a price increase.

When I joined in December 2017, I got Unlimited BT Infinity, for 31.99 all in, with a 10.00 discount on the bill from 41.99 to 31.99

I see Unlimited BT Infinity has been renamed to Superfast Fibre Unlimited which is 49.99 to 52.49 which is a 2.50 increase. I'm assuming this 2.50 increase will be applied to me, but I've had no letter and livechat didnt know (spent 20 minutes with them, only to tell me to wait for the letter!)
  • dilipjoshi
    Options
    My 18 month contract with BT Sport started in April 2018. They have just sent me a letter stating they will increase the monthly payment by £2.
    1) Are BT Sport allowed to increase the monthly price mid-contract?
    2) Is there a way of avoiding this increase while staying with BT sport?
    Thank you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dilipjoshi wrote: »
    My 18 month contract with BT Sport started in April 2018. They have just sent me a letter stating they will increase the monthly payment by £2.
    Thank you.

If only there was a thread that explained all of this...
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dilipjoshi wrote: »

Yes thats what you agreed to in your contract

.!!!916;We may change any prices and terms during your contract. If this affects you, we'll tell you about important changes in advance, and you'll be able to end your contract without any fees.

Try cancelling your contract and see what they offer .
    Alternative move to another ISP and price up BT Sports .
  • Ewe121
    Ewe121 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I currently pay £5.00 per month for BT''s "Premium" email service, having retained my email address on moving to an area where I get Virgin cable services . Two years ago the price was raised from £1.60 per month and now I have been told this will rise to £7.50 per month. This cannot be justifiable on any grounds and is surely an abuse of BT''s market position as it cannot be costing BT anything to provide the service?
    Add to that not being able to opt out of targeted advertising by a long list of "trusted" American marketing partners and it seems that customers are extremely badly treated. What are OFCOM doing, especially as threatening to withdraw facilities if one does not opt in is not acceptable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure