'Death by dangerous cycling' law considered

worldtraveller
worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
edited 12 August 2018 at 6:10AM in Public transport & cycling
Cyclists who kill pedestrians could face charges of "death by dangerous cycling" or "death by careless cycling", under government proposals.

The Department for Transport has launched a 12-week consultation looking at whether new offences should be introduced for dangerous cyclists.

BBC News

Department For Transport - New plans to update road safety laws to protect cyclists and pedestrians
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Comments

• HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    We have one of the best systems for tracking down a vehicle and its driver in the world, given the CCTV, ANPR and databases available to us. Yet our ability to deter drivers from endangering life - and meaningfully punish those that do - is pretty much nil.

In that context, why bother introducing new laws on cyclists?
  • Maybe the new law will also include the mobility scooter maniacs who seem to think that pavements are a racetrack that they have sole use of.

My apologies if this is already covered under existing legislation.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I find it increasingly nonsensical that the powers that be put more and more laws in place for "low hanging fruit", yet completely seem to ignore bigger threats.... instead of dreaming up new death sentences for wanton knife crimes and (increasingly) retaliation arsons in turf wars ... they spend their time pontificating about "generally pretty harmless" blokes on the odd bicycle.
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I find it increasingly nonsensical that the powers that be put more and more laws in place for "low hanging fruit", yet completely seem to ignore bigger threats.... instead of dreaming up new death sentences for wanton knife crimes and (increasingly) retaliation arsons in turf wars ... they spend their time pontificating about "generally pretty harmless" blokes on the odd bicycle.

I agree with this to a point.

Plenty of existing laws are a cash cow which would lead to an improvment in day-to-day life. Fine people for littering. Make sure people and the state make a profit on being victims of criminal damage. Squeeze unlawful drivers until the pips squeak - the fifteen or so of us who abide by the rules of the road will be much better off with lower insurance premiums due to the number of collisions, and even if not caught up in one, see far less time and fuel wasted sitting in traffic jams caused by entirely avoidable incidents.

Enforce the existing ones properly and you'll find that precious few new ones are necessary.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Seems to me, that the most frequent sufferers of death by dangerous cycling, are the cyclist themselves.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • discat11
    discat11 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Seems to me, that the most frequent sufferers of death by dangerous cycling, are the cyclist themselves.

As in motorcycling accidents also -or, more accurately, any accident where a motorcycle is involved.

I was always taught that the more vulnerable you are (on a scale of pedestrian upwards) the more careful you have to be to not only be aware of your own mistakes but also every other road users, since you'll be the one who suffers the most statistically in the event of an accident.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Enforce the existing ones properly and you'll find that precious few new ones are necessary.

Fully agree. What is needed is proper enforcement of the laws we already have before even more are added.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Pennywise wrote: »
    Fully agree. What is needed is proper enforcement of the laws we already have before even more are added.

Te issue is there is currently no law which covers the situation where someone is killed by a cyclist driving dangerously.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 August 2018 at 9:08AM
    Wouldn't normal manslaughter laws cover it? You have caused a death by your negligence/recklessness so it's manslaughter.

Having a separate law is just creating a subset of an existing law to make statistics easier.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I would really like to know how many people are killed by cyclists in a year?
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure