PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Comments

• house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Hello from Boston USA!

There have been many pleasures in the last few days, but Boston is not MSE. We have found some OSP though........

1. The Heritage Trail. We have walked miles following the sites, and the history of Paul Revere and his Midnight Ride. Boston is very pretty.

2. Our Airbnb and our lovely hosts.

3. Fox News. :rotfl:

4. Sharing meals, cos the portion sizes are huge!

5. The Italian coffee and Gelato shop down the street, which has amazing cappuccino and delicious ice cream flavours. (Two suggestions for you to try Mhags Hazlenut and Maple Walnut). The decor is old ornate cappuccino machines and old Italian photos, and they play Dean Martin and Sinatra on the radio. :)

Will be home soon, and back to reality. :(

Have a lovely day :)
  • Imagine if you woke up 100 years ago, and read the news of the day?

V Off to the quack again today. Well after Tuesday’s saga, this one better work. Jenny is being retuned! Again, usual rules. Hurts them if they …

4 LW. Had new style roulette last night. Proper Bitsers from the refrigerator, chopped mushrooms and peppers, with toe nail onions. Tossed into pan, then added some Canadian prawns, not the farmed ones flown halfway around the world with the African small corns things either! Added some garlic and chilli. New, added some Black Has Bean Sauce. Nice, served with salad. Proper food and good for you! You cannot get this as No6 in the Cantonese restaurant! No has Jimmy the Cook bothered either. Nor on the cooking channel either!

3 Now where was BoP! Oh, proper foods again! And today in BoP’s are sour grapes, blue berries, mini peelers, or tangerines as they are properly called. And two lime cakes of Jaffa!

2 Day, or if you did awake 100 years ago and read again over breakfast. The news was greeted the same as that of the Somme two years earlier! Yet this was different, today was not the same! Whatever you would have eaten for breakfast, surely this time was the end. We tried at the Somme, but were unable to have mustered all that was required, and seriously cut short because the French were entrenched at Verdon. Blow me, you forgot again about Verdon!

Now the tide had turned, the AEF had joined in, late! They had limited success on the salient during the Battle of Soissons. Yet on their first break through, the Germans had laid many a booby trap in their wake!

But for now, the battle was not over, the third wave did not get its success. Though the long hard slog until October had begun! The German Spring offensive of 1918 that nearly defeated the allies in the April was a distant past.

The lessons learned late in the Battle of the Somme, came good? Yet we forget these days about the Haig Fund. But a black day for Erich. Afterwards, his spring offensive so near, now he knew that defeat was to come! But the 100 Days Adventure had begun, it was to end in October. Of course, without the AEF involvement, the interlude in the Prussian Liberation of Paris, 1870, 1914 and 1940 would have ended quite differently in 1914. European Civil War, 1870 to 1945. Stephen Ambrose. I am still reading about this and the WWII. Certainly changes my opinion of both!

Note to watchers of BoP. Aircrew were entitled to two rashers and an egg in they had been on active duty in WWII! The adage was, can I have yours if! Other events of 9 August were also to shorten the war and …

That news, it was the first reports of the Battle of Amiens! I tried to watch the BBC version yesterday, and it forgot the Somme and Verdon. Yet the advert for casualty caused me to choke, does that carp have to have such carnage to exceed normality. I doubt very much that an ambulance will do a triple salko and a backflip! Melodramatic or bullshine! Avoid!

Having one today. Lets hope that they have the right kit today!

If you go to South Ferry in NYC, you can see the tablets of those who fell. And the bowed eagle, looking towards The Lady!

Washed out by the tide!
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    1. Holibobs on Saturday! 6 days in Kilkenny then two in Dublin. Trad music, Shakespeare, Guinness, lovely food, time with my gorgeous husband and lovely in laws, as well as my Nanny (whose putting us all up). Feels naughty as we only got back from 2.5 weeks in France a few weeks ago...
    2. Ordered a Morrisons order to come the day after we get back, which - alongside the mealplan - will see us through to the end of the month.
    3. DH and I are working from home together tomorrow, and going to CrossFit at lunch. It's lovely to have him home now it's more of a rarity.
    4. Had a weird X-rated dream about a coworker who is a good friend and about 30 years older than me. Described it to DH in detail as I drove to work and we were in fits of giggles. What is wrong with my mind!?
    5. Having the budget in order again has put me off overspending and I've managed to avoid putting any of my hard earned cash towards food at work.
  • 1) I have packed the good dinner service.

2) I have packed all the spare bedding from the airing cupboard, leaving 2 x sets including the one we're using now to see us through to moving day.

3) My kitchen cupboards are almost cleared, the food ones still to go but most of the equipment is safely packed and stacked in the lounge.

4) We have freecycled and re-homed some fitted 'Billy Bookcases' that our buyer didn't want and the lounge looks enormous without them on the wall.

5) Reading through the brochure of the new house, looking at the photographs and planning just where things are going to go in each room, priceless!
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,902 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Not sure where today has gone! for yesterday
    1) survived another gruelling work out of burpees and lunges
    2) nice porridge, nice shower then meetings - 6 on the trot!
    3) middle one was cancelled so managed to eat my lo pizza and hm salad in peace
    4) then picked up from work to go to Crannog - group from Dundee meeting group from Glasgow. Worked out well
    5) and home to my boys and the archers
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    1 Lidl for bits and bobs, I purchased one or 2 extra long-life items for the store cupboard came to £20, the cupboard had worked well for us.
    2 I’ve seen a great role, wrote up bits and bobs last night and applied.
    3 I’m going to list this as a pleasure but safe to say it hasn’t been all day, after my asking! a date is being proposed of sale of next Friday, which leaves us clearing from tomorrow and every day until next Thursday. After I got of the initial shock, I decided to get on with it.
    4 Cleaned – A lot - to work through the above, I topped and tailed the caravan, it needed doing and now it’s done, it did take about 4 hours.
    5 Made toad in the hole for dinner.
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,204 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A day of much busy-ness.

So now we don't really have a back garden that the dog can have a quick wee first thing...suggested he went out the front door this morning which was met with a look of disdain and a wing and a prayer from me that there were no other dogs! There were none.

Quick dog walk pre builders arriving then longer once they were here.

Made a pot of rhubarb and ginger jam. Tis very nice.

Went into town . Had a nice cheese scone. Nipped into cheaper charity shop. Got a lovely woollen checked laura Ashley pinafore style dress. A gilet. And a pair of trousers for DD2 all for a fiver.

Had parked away up at college so had to hike all the way back up hill but it saved a parking ticket. Nipped into pound shops final day and 15 things for £1 ...spent £3. Got 15 things for food bank. And more Christmas, Halloween and Easter.

Home and straight back out with dog for a walk. Met his girlfriends mummy(no girlfriend) and he was made much fuss of. Then down to friends with puppy and handed in our Halloween purchases for them!

Walk back through field. The colours are much more muted than they were a few weeks ago. The vibrancy has gone. The hedge cutter tractor was there and noisy.

May have had a tiny snooze.

Son dropped DD and I off at dentist in town for her appointment and then we took bus to Glasgow.

Went to see an author / favourite blogger at a book signing. Most enjoyable. Bus home with about a minute to spare.

And home!
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,902 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    next friday pk good luck with the clearing :-)
    1) meeting with very nice new phd student. she is a pleasure
    2) last of the pizza for lunch and hm salad yum
    3) coffee with colleague relating to new job. i had a one shot latte cos i am a coffee wus :rotfl:
    4) finished on time, talked to dad on the way home, put on supper, walked dogs, wolfed down supper then...
    5) good sunday school planning meeting. usually i work through and go straight there from work - did me good to have to do dogs so have some supper before going out!
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,153 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Nice tomatoes for breakfast (with an avocado) that I baked in the oven yesterday.

3) Used my new sander again to smooth down all the bits around the house that I had polyfill-ed.

4) Made such a mess sanding in sons' room that I decided to bite the bullet and clean it from top to bottom and change the beds. Moved on from that to tidy up generally, do 2 loads of washing and clean the bathroom. And cleaned the car out!

5) Hens well and 4 eggs. I cleaned their sleeping quarters out too.

6) Picked a large bowl of blackberries so some more for the freezer and made jam that I can enter in the village show next Saturday.

7) Went to watch the Greatest Showman at tiny cinema - it's the annual free event (it was Casablanca last year). Smaller son really enjoyed it but I'm not really a fan of films where people suddenly burst into song.

8) Another phone call from bigger son demanding to be picked up. He hung up on me when I said no (he's coming home from NCS tomorrow anyway). I phoned again later and asked why he keeps phoning to come home at the same time each evening. It transpires that after tea they insist everyone takes part in some sort of singing/talent show. It sounds like my worst nightmare! Bigger son said tonight he had to get almost nasty with them and tell them he wasn't taking part, never would and there was nothing they could do about it and he was retiring to his tent.

9) In bed now and shall watch iplayer for a while.
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Still in holiday and not been posting.
    Both sons and my parents joined us for five days to celebrate our wedding anniversary in September - 30 years but actually came out for DH birthday.

1. Lots of eating and drinking and probably spent too much but great meals in a couple of lovely restauran ts.

2. Been very hot which I have loved more than most. A couple of nights it stated above 30 degrees.

3. Swimming both in the sea and in the pool.

4. Walking round French villages and towns which seem relaxed most of the time but the local city is really vibrant at the moment.

5. Been easier than usual to persuade DH not to be doing things that we need to spend money on. Hope this one continues.

6. Long talk with DS1. He has said that he doesn't need counselling but hopefully he will think about that one. He has made plans to see quite a few of his school and uni mates at the weekends and after meeting a couple of them they wanted to meet up again soon. His confidence at the moment is starting to return slowly. His laughter is less forced.
    He is still in contact with ex though and she has gone into 4 weeks residential care in a mental health unit.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback