UC- expected hours of work

Hi

I have just been looking into UC as not paid much attention to it and the area I live in UC is in force. I might be moving to a different district and UC comes into force on 28 November.

I am a single mum and work 20 hours a week. When I entered my details on entitled to it stated I would be £11pw better off on UC. However when I have gone onto a Gov.uk website it states that people with children are expected to work a set amount of hours. My daughter is 7 and it states I would be expected to work 25 hours a week.

I entered 20 hours a week on entitled and it stated I would be better off on UC - how is this so?

Is it correct that once I am switched over to UC I will have to work 25 hours (and then 35 once daughter 11)?

I have no qualms working the extra hours I am grateful for the help I get and am aiming to be working full-time when daughter in high school. Its just before then I am thinking about childcare if moving areas.

Thanks

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If you sign up for UC you have to agree a Claimant Commitment. If you are expected to work 25 hours but are currently only working 20 hours this doesn't affect the amount of benefit you receive but means that you will be expected to agree to look for an additional 5 hours of work/week.

The practicality of this is of course questionable given that your existing work will restrict your available hours for a different job. You may be able to argue that your earnings threshold should be set at 25 hours x NMW which means that if you are paid above NMW you may be able to argue forfeiter hours.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Thank you Calcotti. On my current wage I am under NMW x 25 hours (work in NHS) but when I move up the payscale next year it will work out the same. Hopefully will not get moved over to UC before then. Still cannot understand why entitled to said I would be £11pw better off on UC working 20 hours - assume this is wrong.
  • calcotti
    brandy458 wrote: »
    Still cannot understand why entitled to said I would be £11pw better off on UC working 20 hours - assume this is wrong.
    Obviously I don't have details of your current situation and what benefits you are claiming now so I can't tell whether you would be better off on UC or your existing benefits. Many people are better off on UC, some are worse off. Often there really isn't much in it. There are particular groups of people who are much worse off but equally there are some who are much better off.

So no it isn't necessarily wrong.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti wrote: »
    Obviously I don't have details of your current situation and what benefits you are claiming now so I can't tell whether you would be better off on UC or your existing benefits. Many people are better off on UC, some are worse off. Often there really isn't much in it. There are particular groups of people who are much worse off but equally there are some who are much better off.

So no it isn't necessarily wrong.

Thank you. If I were to work more hours would I be better off on UC? I earn £9346pa at the moment. I claim HB, WTC and CTC. I am wondering whether to stay put where family can look after my daughter if I work more hours or if I have to move will have to pay childcare. Better area and schools where I would like to move to.
  • calcotti
    I suggest you use the entitledto calculator https://www.entitledto.co.uk and input different details to see how things change.
    In theory for every extra £1 you lose 63p of UC but you will also lose some Council Tax Reduction.
  • The expectation of you to work 25 hours a week will not ever come into play as by working 20 hours you would be in the light touch group and have no appointments or work coach.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The expectation of you to work 25 hours a week will not ever come into play as by working 20 hours you would be in the light touch group and have no appointments or work coach.
    Just out of interest does that apply to disabled people as well? Im currently on 20hrs a week and occ health and gp wont let me work more
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure