Mirena coil, R e m o v a l

Options
hollydays
hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 4 August 2018 at 8:22AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
I found the Mirena coil amazing for dealing with heavy periods and the menopause.

I find it very puzzling there's hardly anything online about what happens after you have it removed?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Normally it would stay for 5-7 years. At which point it would be replaced with a new one. once you are past the menopause it can be removed, though there is no urgency in getting this done.

If you find it agrees with you, I don't know why you would not continue.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • hollydays
    Options
    Yes past menopause removal is what I'm referring to.
  • mtbbuxton
    mtbbuxton Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was told it's absolutely fine for it to stay in situ after menopause - I have no plans to have mine removed and it's been in place for around 10 years.M x
  • hollydays
    Options
    I'm speaking as someone who's had it removed and wondering what symptoms if any others have experienced.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    I'm speaking as someone who's had it removed and wondering what symptoms if any others have experienced.
    None at all, but I must have gone through menopause while it was in without realising.

however, it might depend on why you had it inserted / what's causing the heavy periods / why you had it removed. I had mine put in because a scan revealed either a fibroid or a polyp, they couldn't tell which from the scan. IIRC (it's a long time ago!), if it had been a fibroid they'd have removed it, as it was a polyp they reckoned the coil was the best option.

Since my family was definitely complete (I'd had my tubes tied already!) it wasn't coming out so I could have another baby, so once I'd dealt with the initial very unpleasant symptoms it just sat there. Periods were initially light, and then they just stopped.

When I eventually had it out, after 10 plus years, no symptoms at all.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    When I had my first 2 removed after their 5 year limit I had slight cramps. My current one is in for HRT purposes so will come out after 4 years.

I take it you have experienced some issue that has prompted this thread?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • LilTerryWhite
    Options
    I have it for 3 years and also looking for such information.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Yes past menopause removal is what I'm referring to.
    I have it for 3 years and also looking for such information.

Are you asking about the procedure itself? Or the after effects of having had it removed?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • hollydays
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    When I had my first 2 removed after their 5 year limit I had slight cramps. My current one is in for HRT purposes so will come out after 4 years.

I take it you have experienced some issue that has prompted this thread?

Yes , it appears that's it's not an exact science and after removal there could be some reintroduction of menopausal symptoms that it had hitherto controlled eg night sweats.
    I'd suggest to friends They enquire what's the absolute longest time it could be kept in without problems.
    I had heard of women who had problems by not bothering to get it removed.
  • choccyface2006
    choccyface2006 Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    Options
    I had my Mirena coil out 5 days ago, this particular one had only been in for 15 months but I was having problems with it. It was removed easily and painlessly and I bled slight afterwards. For the last four days I've had hours where I've not bled at all but then very heavy bleeding with clots.

I'm 44 and not menopausal yet.

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family