Comments

• Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Or email and send scans electronically.
  • Lungboy
    This thread has been very quiet recently, no Erudio issues for anyone at the mo?
  • I just received a strange letter from them. My 25 year sentence is up in Oct 2020. They wrote to me saying that on this date they would write off the remaining money that I would have owed. From now to this date I would make 2500 in payments but if I pay the loan off now I can do so for 2400. I'm not sure why they would do this as saving 100 pounds isn't that big of a deal so not sure of their incentive. Also they claim that if I take them up on their offer it may prevent me getting any student loans in the future. By that I take it they will report to credit rating agencies as debt not fully paid. Again I suspect they will do that in 2020 even though the terms of the loan have never been breached. Has anyone received a similar offer and has any insight as to their motivation?
  • VonPaz
    VonPaz Posts: 7 Forumite
    I too have had a similar letter, only the date they are proposing is my age related write off is some seven months after the date I think is my age related write off. So in other words, they appear to be offering themselves an extra seven payments as part of their 'generous offer'. Check your dates carefully.
  • dotties
    dotties Posts: 20 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Hiya,
    I was wondering if anyone had worked out what the deferment threshold for 18-19 is likely to be for the mortgage style loans.
    I will be receiving an honorarium for a project I’m working on which I think will take me above the threshold !!!128533;
    My deferment ends in October but I want to prepare myself for having to pay it.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Has anyone received a similar offer and has any insight as to their motivation?

Money in the bank now, vs money that may not should your circumstances change I would guess. Plus not having the cost of administering loans for the remaining period.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    dotties wrote: »
    Hiya,
    I was wondering if anyone had worked out what the deferment threshold for 18-19 is likely to be for the mortgage style loans.
    I will be receiving an honorarium for a project I’m working on which I think will take me above the threshold !!!128533;

Usually recalculated in August AFAIR, for start in Sept.

In theory can do the calculation if you find the right ONS stats, but that was a fair bit of detective work before for people.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • dotties
    dotties Posts: 20 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    fermi wrote: »
    Usually recalculated in August AFAIR, for start in Sept.

In theory can do the calculation if you find the right ONS stats, but that was a fair bit of detective work before for people.

Thank you. I was aware of the August calculation but have seen in the past people calculate it on here first.
    I hadn’t realised the complication methodology etc.
    I’ll wait for the figures from the company.
    Thanks again
  • Pinch of salt territory here:

Forum member anna2007 previously did some sterling work in this area and FOI'd the calculation that's used to generate the deferment threshold. As a low-posting user, I'm unable to link to it (may be able to PM it?), but I plugged in the ONS numbers for 2018-19, and the threshold came out as £30,562. Rounding errors may plus or minus a tenner; methodology errors may minus several thousand...

Calculation details (adapted from the earlier-mentioned FOI calc, using up-to-date ONS data) for the sceptical:

1) Mean gross weekly earnings from the 2017 Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE), covers GB full-time employees and relates to April 2017: £662.50
    2) Apr 2017 Annual Mean Earnings: £662.50 x 52 = £34,450
    3) Earnings growth to Apr 2018, measured by Average Weekly Earnings (AWE):
    AWE Apr-17: £503.70
    AWE Apr-18: £516.14
    Annual % change in AWE = 2.47%
    4) Estimate of Apr 2018 Annual Mean Earnings: £35,300.91
    5) Projected Annual Mean Earnings in Jan 2019: £35,300.91 x (1 + 2.47/100 x 0.75) = £35,954.86
    6) Annual deferment threshold: £35,954.86 x 0.85 = £30,561.63
  • Lungboy
    dotties wrote: »

You should be sent the paperwork 8 weeks prior, so get it done straight away and it shouldn't be an issue.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback