Seller cancelled an order... What can I do?

Hi all,

I recently had an offer on a motorbike accepted and today the seller cancels the order with no warning.

Now, I have already paid out money for a HPI and hiring a bike trailer and other bits and pieces in preparation for collection.

I email the seller and his reply was that someone offered the full asking price and he has taken the money, saying he has to feed his kids etc....

Is there anywhere I can go with this just to recoup my cost?

Thanks for any pointers!

AGDCFF

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No .
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    AGDCFF wrote: »
    I agree with "No" above. However if you wish to pursue it you can start by asking/invoicing the seller. You could possibly win a court case but whether you'd get the seller to pay up is unlikely. If it were me I'd probably shake my head and walk away.

I'm guessing this wasn't on Ebay but if it was the seller will have incurred costs from your sale that he would need you to confirm had been cancelled to recoup.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for the replies - it was an eBay sale but as the seller has cancelled and is now not replying I am going to chalk this one down to experience and move on.

It is so frustrating that some sellers just think they can do what the hell they want but there is not much I can do!

Thanks again.
  • Yes
    Your seller has broken your agreement and you have a water tight case for your damages
    Take them to court of you want your money back

AGDCFF wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently had an offer on a motorbike accepted and today the seller cancels the order with no warning.

Now, I have already paid out money for a HPI and hiring a bike trailer and other bits and pieces in preparation for collection.

I email the seller and his reply was that someone offered the full asking price and he has taken the money, saying he has to feed his kids etc....

Thanks for any pointers!

AGDCFF
    If I ruled the world.......
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    It sounds like you hadn't paid. Why would you go to the expense of hiring a trailer and HPI and "other bits and pieces" when you hadn't even purchased the bike?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    It sounds like you hadn't paid. Why would you go to the expense of hiring a trailer and HPI and "other bits and pieces" when you hadn't even purchased the bike?

Do you HPI a vehicle after you bought it?
  • theonlywayisup
    custardy wrote: »
    Do you HPI a vehicle after you bought it?

I don't know what HPI is. My point was that incurring expense before a purchase may not be the wisest thing to do and as he hasn't even paid a deposit, it is money that will lose/lost without securing the vehicle with the deposit.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I don't know what HPI is. My point was that incurring expense before a purchase may not be the wisest thing to do and as he hasn't even paid a deposit, it is money that will lose/lost without securing the vehicle with the deposit.

The same could be said for surveys/searches on a house. The trailer hire may have been premature, but if you're buying a second hand vehicle then it's wise to check it's not secured on finance, nicked or a write off.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • theonlywayisup
    elsien wrote: »
    The same could be said for surveys/searches on a house. The trailer hire may have been premature, but if you're buying a second hand vehicle then it's wise to check it's not secured on finance, nicked or a write off.

As I have said, I don't know what HPI is. I don't buy secondhand vehicles, but going back to my point, either you incur expense and understand it's lost or you secure the vehicle with a deposit and make it subject to passing (or whatever the terminology is) the HPI.

The OP hasn't just paid the HPI, taking that aside he specifically said he had hired the trailer and "other bits and pieces". Premature those things most certainly are.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    At the very least I would be reporting this to ebay and leaving poor feedback (It is possible if you look for the option to leave feedback via the sale not from the usual drop down menu)

The report seller option is by the sale and should be for non performing seller, and also the more serious complaint of listing breaches as item should not have been sold elsewhere, it might also be worth phoning ebay and telling them that you do not agree to the mutual cancellation otherwise seller gets away with no fee to pay and no comeback.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure