PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• Smurphington
    Smurphington Posts: 140 Forumite
    I have used up some milk that was on the turn by making some pancakes for the small person, rest of the batter I have stuck in the fridge so they can have the same tomorrow. I used up the end of a box of muesli for my brekkie

Tonight's tea will probably be a vegetable crumble as I have everything for it. I may need to buy some milk and fruit but I think that's about it

White cabbage - how long will the half I have last if I wrap it in foil and stick it in the fridge?
  • Risotto for supper this evening and all the veg, courgettes, green beans and peas are home grown and everything else I had in stock too including the lemon to freshen it all up. The bean mountain is growing so I'll have to be inventive.....
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,481
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have used up some milk that was on the turn by making some pancakes for the small person, rest of the batter I have stuck in the fridge so they can have the same tomorrow. I used up the end of a box of muesli for my brekkie

Tonight's tea will probably be a vegetable crumble as I have everything for it. I may need to buy some milk and fruit but I think that's about it

White cabbage - how long will the half I have last if I wrap it in foil and stick it in the fridge?

I don't even wrap in foil once I used some just put the rest back into the veg tray in the fridge. It's still fine by the end of the week. So I would think wrapping in foil would at least double that time. JackieO is the expert on wrapping veg in foil.

Denise
  • Tonight's dinner will be omelette to try and use some more of the YS eggs plus I will throw in some of the small courgettes from the garden. Then for pudding I'm going to make a plum and almond tart I saw on the good food website as we are getting a huge glut of plums from the tree in the garden. It will also make good use of the YS ready rolled pastry sheet I had in the freezer. Might try it with a dollop of Greek yoghurt sweetened with honey x
  • marns
    marns Posts: 30 Forumite
    Well I've tried to be good, but the hot weather led me to turning the fridge up but I went too far and luettice and cucumbers froze so they're now destined for soup.
    I was lucky enough get a reduced cooked chicken and ham hock from the hot to go counter (£1.50 and £1.99....the chicken thing is getting embarrassing, I walked by a few nights ago and the counter assistant said 'they're not £1.99 this early' lol) So 1 chicken dinner and 2 pies, one for the weekend and 1 for freezer.

This weeks wasteful problem is I have a large dinner plate pilled up with sponge cake. I made a fancy iced cake for my boss for a celebration. I had one 9" cake go wrong (perfectly edible, just too wonky) and the trimmings from 4 layers of sponge left from leveling the cakes ready to ice.

So I'll be making a boozy trifle and I had thought cake pops as I have some buttercream left over too. I personally don't have a sweet tooth and I'm not keen on them but I thought I could sell them to raise money for the charity I work for......Does anyone have any other ideas for left over cake???
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,052
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You could freeze it, well wrapped so it doesn't dry out, then do something with it if you've got visitors coming.
  • Sadness is having to throw away a pack of bacon that had got pushed to the back of the fridge shelf and the fridge is a bit ropey so I don't keep the door open for any longer than I have to in this heat, I can see the thermometer start rising as I open the door and it goes from 0 to 4 in a very quick time! Redeeming factor for the day is coleslaw made from one of the polytunnel cabbages, previously cooked and reheated jacket potatoes and cold meat are done and ready for lunch. I have also found an ancient pack of home grown raspberries in the freezer that have this morning been made with some fresh loganberries and blackberries from the garden into another big batch of compote to have with fat free yoghurt for breakfasts and lunches for a few days. Not a penny expended!
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have been buying a lot of the nectarines which have variously been on offer at supermarkets recently and have found a use for the red netting over the plastic container. If you cut off one end you end up with a little 'hat' with very stretchy properties. I have been putting them over seedlings which I am moving outside of the greenhouse and it keeps off both birds and butterflies. Even if you don't grow your own, you probably know someone who does....
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,481
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have been buying a lot of the nectarines which have variously been on offer at supermarkets recently and have found a use for the red netting over the plastic container. If you cut off one end you end up with a little 'hat' with very stretchy properties. I have been putting them over seedlings which I am moving outside of the greenhouse and it keeps off both birds and butterflies. Even if you don't grow your own, you probably know someone who does....

I'd have thought the holes were too big to keep butterflies off, we used to grow cabbages and had quite small netting and the butterflies still managed to get in! We went away on holiday one year and came back to find caterpillars had eaten most of the cabbages, particularly the red ones! There were so many we couldn't actually salvage very much at all so that was the last time we grew them.

Because we've getting away in our motorhome more often now as DH has retired we don't grow anything now.

Denise
  • marns wrote: »
    Does anyone have any other ideas for left over cake???

What is leftover cake??? ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure