npower new smart meter install scare tactics

Regulars on this forum know the E.ON are using any dirty tactic they can to get consumers to install smart meters.

Now it looks like npower have joined the dirty tactics crowd too.

Last week I received this text from npower
Please look out for your Smart meter installation appointment arriving soon: then just confirm or reschedule it, so we know if you'll be in on the day

Well given I don't want a Smart meter that isn't smart enough to handle changing suppliers, I know my answer to this text. But it is really annoying as some people will believe that npower can force then to make an appointment for an install.

AND before anyone says (we all know who), my meters are modern installs from this decade and well within their rated life spans so changing would be a waste of money.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 March 2018 at 11:06AM
    The suppliers have got themselves into a 'no win' situation which could end up costing them a lot of money in fines. This is possibly the worst piece of misleading information that I have seen over the past year:

Every single one of our customers is going to have a Smart Meter installed. This is not a customer choice, as we are replacing all our meters with Smart Meters. We are installing these meters across our whole customer base as they are a benefit to our customers; It is a government initiative. Unfortunately I am unable to stop this from happening just for you, as as I have mentioned above all our customers will be having these installed.

I believe that the supplier concerned has now stopped using this particular paragraph in its letters. At the end of the day, suppliers will only stop posting misleading information if consumers make a fuss.
  • Our local council switches properties on to Our Power in-between tenants, Our Power take the opportunity to fix Smart meters since there's no one to object. We're moving in to one shortly but given their April price increases and the fact that they don't support the winter warm home discount the first thing I'll do is switch which will (presumably) immediately turn it 'Dumb'. Which pretty much sums up the whole Smart meter scheme.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2018 at 11:29AM
    They can force you to make an appointment for an install. Its in every suppliers T and Cs that you must accept a new meter when the old ones have reached the end of life. You can refuse a smart meter but Npower will do as Eon say and will either fit the meter with no connection to the server in dumb mode or will fit a normal standard credit meter.
    If push comes to shove they can get a warrant to access the old meter, and charge you for the cost of the warrant, and locksmith !
  • This isn't an EOL situation, it is clearly a tactic to get more smart meter installs done to meet some quote dreamed up by a stupid politician (an oxymoron I know) using inappropriate technology.
    I know the law (better than most posters here) and I know exactly what rights I have and how the process works. And it will not get to the court stage I can assure you.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    a stupid politician (an oxymoron I know) using inappropriate technology.

This may be pedantic but I just cannot resist. "Stupid politician" is not an oxymoron; it is a redundancy like big giant or clever genius. :D
  • Hengus wrote: »
    The suppliers have got themselves into a 'no win' situation which could end up costing them a lot of money in fines.

But of course it will be the consumer, not the supplier, who actually pays, since the suppliers will ultimately recoup the money in increased tariffs.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 March 2018 at 7:54PM
    Update:

When I logged onto npower website today, I was presented with a BIG notice saying that on 11th April, they were going to turn up and install a smart meter. There were 3 options (The first two VERY BIG TEXT in CLICK BOXES and the third in very small text with no other visual clues)
    Options given:
    1. Confirm.
    2. Reschedule.
    3. Cancel.
    Guess what size the cancel option was. Yep, very small text and zero visual clues.
    And Cancel wasn't an option in reality, it just displayed a message box with a phone number (freephone) saying you had to phone to cancel.

So I rang and only waited 3 minutes to speak to a human. So not too bad.I informed them that I didn't want a smart meter and the CS Staff added me to the "Refused" list. But I had to be forceful as they wanted to get me to accept an install.
    Boy do I feel bad for being a refuser (Not).

And as I said originally, my existing meters are valid and it is just a ruse to increase their smart meter install quota.
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 March 2018 at 8:06PM
    We will probably see, as per British Gas, the latest cheapest tariffs by suppliers eventually requiring a smart meter to comply.

With the latest BG March 2019 tariff, you have to book an appointment by july or you lose the tariff.

---

Does anyone know if BG are exclusively installing smets2? I know they started installing a few last year.
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    Had a letter from them this morning

"Your new Smart meter is coming

We'd like to fit your smart meter on... date and details"

Theres no infomation about it not being required or their being any other options, other than how often they acess the infomration, which I could care less about.

We're actually looking at changing suppliers shorty so I'm not sure how best to proceede.

(It does at least explain the call centre call I took to be a scam we had a few days ago - the line was so poor I couldn't really hear the caller but they did mention changing a meter at one point.)
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I particularly liked (sorry I know you can't read the sarcasm) the current version of Gaz & Leccy smart meter advert that promises a 2% saving on bills! No point in complaining to the advertising standards agency, tried that, because I can't prove they are lying, makes you wonder who the ASA are working for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure