Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Euphoria1z
    • By Euphoria1z 2nd Oct 18, 5:44 PM
    • 944Posts
    • 209Thanks
    Euphoria1z
    0 WOW
    Best ready made cheese sauce?
    • 2nd Oct 18, 5:44 PM
    0 WOW
    Best ready made cheese sauce? 2nd Oct 18 at 5:44 PM
    Hi

Just wondering if any one has recommendations for a good ready made cheese sauce to be used for pasta bake/macaroni?

I know most will suggest to make it ourselves but we have tried several recipes and it just comes out tasting tasteless , bland and lumpy-

I'm considering buying Asda / Waitrose cheese sauce (comes in a tub). Any one tried it and is it any good? or maybe the packet ones?

Thanks
Page 1
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 2nd Oct 18, 6:00 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 973 Thanks
    maisie cat
    • 2nd Oct 18, 6:00 PM
    • 2nd Oct 18, 6:00 PM
    Are you making a roux as a base for the cheese sauce, and are you using butter? Add a strong cheese to the white sauce and add mustard to enhance the cheese flavour. It is indeed quicker to make a cheese sauce than to go to the shop and buy it ready made.
    An alternative, depending on what you are having is to melt creme fraiche in a pan and add grated cheese, that also make a nice sauce albeit very rich, or at least richer.
    • Euphoria1z
    • By Euphoria1z 2nd Oct 18, 7:28 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    Euphoria1z
    • 2nd Oct 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2nd Oct 18, 7:28 PM
    yes making a roux and adding butter. We use strong cheddar cheese-we've given up. even tried the recipe from Serious eats using evap milk but that was also a disaster.

Going to try the ready made stuff now-
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 2nd Oct 18, 7:54 PM
    • 10,322 Posts
    • 13,192 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 2nd Oct 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2nd Oct 18, 7:54 PM
    I use Bisto Cheese Sauce Granules- it's like Gravy Granules but for cheese sauce. Has the advantage I can make only what I need.

It is not very cheese however.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 2nd Oct 18, 7:56 PM
    • 36,720 Posts
    • 47,393 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 2nd Oct 18, 7:56 PM
    • 2nd Oct 18, 7:56 PM
    Just add some finally grated cheese to the bisto granules
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 3rd Oct 18, 3:08 PM
    • 12,332 Posts
    • 32,898 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 3rd Oct 18, 3:08 PM
    • 3rd Oct 18, 3:08 PM
    I never bother with a roux, too time consuming

Flour, butter and milk in a pan, put on the heat and whisk like its going out of fashion till the sauce has come to a boil and thickened, Turn right down, add strong cheddar or stilton or whatever ( I don't bother grating, just cut into lumps) and let it melt through and cook out. Teaspoon of Colemans English mustard, white pepper ( black shows specks) and maybe some salt ( depends on the cheese)

Never lumpy, never bland and easy peasy

If you do get lumps, sieve
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 3rd Oct 18, 4:29 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 4,926 Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    • 3rd Oct 18, 4:29 PM
    • 3rd Oct 18, 4:29 PM
    Waitrose cheese sauce (comes in a tub). Any one tried it and is it any good? or maybe the packet ones?
    Originally posted by Euphoria1z
    The waitrose one is just ok, I wouldn't buy it again due to the cost. Not hugely flavoursome, just salty.

I know you say you have given up, but it might be worth persevering to save money.

I follow a baby friendly recipe, and find it's quite good. It has added nutmeg and worcester sauce for flavour.

And as for lumps, I find the trick is to really cook out the flour & butter roux (for about 5 mins), then add the milk in REALLY slowly, like a few tablespoons at a time, that way you go from a thick paste to a smooth sauce.

But I get it, sometimes time & effort isn't what everyone wants.
    Good luck!
    • Gnocchi
    • By Gnocchi 3rd Oct 18, 5:35 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    Gnocchi
    • 3rd Oct 18, 5:35 PM
    • 3rd Oct 18, 5:35 PM
    A cheese sauce is not the easiest thing in the world to make, using a roux. I'm an ex chef and I don't bother with all that stirring. If the flour isn't cooked out it tastes nasty, it takes a lot of elbow power to get the lumps out and many people add too much/little milk or don't remember to add the liquid off the heat.

Here's a trick from Pierre Dukan of the Dukan Diet. If you buy full fat creme fraiche or double cream, it won't split when heated. Just stir in your grated cheese (the smaller the better) and when you are happy with the taste and temperature, use it how you want. Must be the higher fat stuff or it will split.

If you go for a tub/jar suggest checking for nasties. Also, I don't recommend the Seeds of Change b!chamel sauce despite it being organic. Have seen that split in the jar !
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 3rd Oct 18, 6:40 PM
    • 10,322 Posts
    • 13,192 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 3rd Oct 18, 6:40 PM
    • 3rd Oct 18, 6:40 PM
    If you go for a tub/jar suggest checking for nasties. Also, I don't recommend the Seeds of Change b!chamel sauce despite it being organic. Have seen that split in the jar !
    Originally posted by Gnocchi
    Probably because it doesn't have any "nasty" emulsifiers in it like lecithin.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Oct 18, 6:47 PM
    • 67,481 Posts
    • 395,344 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I microwave sauce/cheese sauce - no lumps, ever.

Roughly: rounded spoon of butter/marg, melt. Add heaped spoon of flour, mix in using a fork and really wiggle it hard, scraping round to get it to come together.... add a splash of milk.... wiggle that fork again to make it come together.... nuke it for 1 a minute or so ... remove and then go through adding a bit of milk and wiggling the fork/scraping it so the sauce is smooth and nuking it ... until it's right. So: Splash of milk, fork it together, nuke 30-60 seconds, repeat until it's sauce like.

Then add cheese and nuke it again ... add a bit more milk to loosen it off, or add more cheese to thicken it.

The above NEVER fails....

OR ..... in all honesty - artificial cheese sauce is pretty rank, so you're better off getting a white sauce pack/whatever and making it up, then adding your own cheese.
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 3rd Oct 18, 9:44 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Bacman
    I never bother with a roux, too time consuming

Flour, butter and milk in a pan.......
    Originally posted by suki1964
    That is a roux!

Actually, cheese doesn't help with the flavour in the sauce compared to adding it as a topping to the dish and melted under a grill.

Use a little more weight of plain flour than butter; melt butter in a saucepan, use a hand whisk to mix in the flour, then after a few more seconds of cooking add a little milk at a time until the mixture is quite runny and smooth; add a couple of teaspoons of mustard (I use Asda own brand). I used to then add cheese however find it better to add cooked crushed garlic to the sauce. Add cheese to the topping not the sauce.

If you look at the ingredients on cheese sauce jars, it is pretty much all chemicals and artificial enhancers - do you really want to eat rubbish when you can make your own healthy sauce, easily, in less than 10 minutes from scratch; and far cheaper too??
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 3rd Oct 18, 10:57 PM
    • 12,332 Posts
    • 32,898 Thanks
    suki1964
    That is a roux!

Actually, cheese doesn't help with the flavour in the sauce compared to adding it as a topping to the dish and melted under a grill.

Use a little more weight of plain flour than butter; melt butter in a saucepan, use a hand whisk to mix in the flour, then after a few more seconds of cooking add a little milk at a time until the mixture is quite runny and smooth; add a couple of teaspoons of mustard (I use Asda own brand). I used to then add cheese however find it better to add cooked crushed garlic to the sauce. Add cheese to the topping not the sauce.

If you look at the ingredients on cheese sauce jars, it is pretty much all chemicals and artificial enhancers - do you really want to eat rubbish when you can make your own healthy sauce, easily, in less than 10 minutes from scratch; and far cheaper too??
    Originally posted by Bacman

A roux is a mix of flour and fat, which is then cooked out before the liquid is added

My method ( Thankyou Delia ) skips that
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 4th Oct 18, 6:17 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Bacman
    Yes, flour and fat - butter is fat. Chefs use flour and butter for their roux.
    • nuatha
    • By nuatha 4th Oct 18, 9:02 AM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 23,655 Thanks
    nuatha
    Yes, flour and fat - butter is fat. Chefs use flour and butter for their roux.
    Originally posted by Bacman
    A roux is cooked out before any liquid is added, putting the flour, fat and liquid in the pan together does not make a roux - but with sufficient whisk action does make a fine sauce.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 4th Oct 18, 9:20 AM
    • 12,332 Posts
    • 32,898 Thanks
    suki1964
    A roux is cooked out before any liquid is added, putting the flour, fat and liquid in the pan together does not make a roux - but with sufficient whisk action does make a fine sauce.
    Originally posted by nuatha

I donít think s/he is reading what I wrote

And Iím loving being told that butter is a fat
    • nuatha
    • By nuatha 5th Oct 18, 1:36 AM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 23,655 Thanks
    nuatha
    I donít think s/he is reading what I wrote

And Iím loving being told that butter is a fat
    Originally posted by suki1964
    I'd assumed they hadn't realised quite what you'd written, I don't usually post to state the obvious

I'm sure you enjoyed that piece of information.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 7th Oct 18, 1:43 AM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 25,589 Thanks
    JIL
    I would always make my own cheese sauce via the roux method, I add mustard and sometimes cream cheese.
    However if I was using a ready made sauce I would use a fresh cheese pasta sauce. I really don't like the jars or packets, personal taste really but I just find the taste a bit synthetic.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 7th Oct 18, 10:18 AM
    • 7,704 Posts
    • 11,342 Thanks
    KxMx
    My best attempt at cheese sauce was half mature cheddar and half red Leicester

As for the lumps I use a whisk constantly, then a fork round the pan edges every few minutes to loosen anything that has settled beyond the reach of the whisk.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 8th Oct 18, 3:46 AM
    • 5,186 Posts
    • 9,771 Thanks
    Murphybear
    When I cook with cheese I add a bit (or a lot ) of blue cheese. It gives it a much stronger cheesy flavour. I do this with Welsh rarebit as well but OH keeps eating it

I know not everyone likes blue cheese but a bit of mustard works as well, I think others have said this.

It's a good way of using up any odd bits of cheese lurking in the fridge.
    • esmy
    • By esmy 11th Oct 18, 6:23 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 5,547 Thanks
    esmy
    Lazy cheese sauce:

Microwavable jug, 1/2pt milk, rounded tbsp plain flour, 1oz butter or marge. Whisk it as best you can so most of the flour's mixed in. Nuke on high for a minute at a time, whisk after each minute, until sauce thickens. Grate in cheese, add mustard/nutmeg/seasoning to taste and whisk again (the heat of the sauce melts the cheese, no need to heat again)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

342Posts Today

2,779Users online

Martin's Twitter