PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Shabby Chic Thread?

Comments

• i love the shabby chic look..im always trying to create that in my house but so far it hasnt worked, it looks to dark.. im thinking i need to change my colour schemes!!!
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    I get all my material from Ebay and charity shops. I collect tins and old advertising signs from wherever I can get them and check out Au Natural regularly for vintage look kitchenalia.
    You really don't have to spend alot to achieve the look and any old wooden furniture looks great with a lick of milk white satin wood paint.;)
  • rosh12
    rosh12 Posts: 197 Forumite
    TK Maxx is great for this look!!! Sadly no money to buy any of it at the mo! Also there are some great blogs- eg www.homespunliving.blogspot.com .. this lady has a gorgeous online shop too- loads of ideas!!
    On ebay it's so funny- there are a zillion things which come up if you search for "shabby chic" -- at least half of it is tat!
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    rosh12 wrote: »
    TK Maxx is great for this look!!! Sadly no money to buy any of it at the mo! Also there are some great blogs- eg www.homespunliving.blogspot.com .. this lady has a gorgeous online shop too- loads of ideas!!
    On ebay it's so funny- there are a zillion things which come up if you search for "shabby chic" -- at least half of it is tat!

If you search Ebay for vintage kitchenalia you get a fair bit of stuff.

And you're right about TKmaxx rosh. I got an enamel cheese dome in there last week for £3.99. It was reduced from £15 as it was a second.

Tesco have introduced a range of enamel housewares in green which I have my eye on. :o

Shaker style things are good too and it's really easy to make up little gingham heart door hangers. ;)
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Having just seen those pictures I have an urge to rush out and buy some light coloured paint !!!!
    Mustn't do it though............start on one room and I'd end up having to follow through and do the rest and funds won''t permit it. Best just tidy up what I've got.
    I quite like the shaker look and theres a shop in town here full of that sort of thing...........not cheap though !
    I''ve got such a mish mash...........original enamel sign and original advertising picture I frames and bread boards decorating one wall...........some old, some new but when they''re all together no-one knows except me..............lol
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    You should see Haribo Junkie's kitchen photo on the 'Where the OS magic happens' thread. It's exactly how I'd like my kitchen.

The link if this works is :
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=163238&page=25

Its post 500 - 504

Mine is post 473
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

• mary43
    Love it !!! And just love those tiles.............just the sort I want - one day !
    At the minute we've got a piece of board I painted, stencilled a tile design on and then carnished...............lol Seen better days now and desparatelt needs re-doing as does whole kitchen really............:confused:
    And why is everyone else's kitchen so tidy ? Mine never looks it even when I've cleared up.....................lol
    Mary

• mary43
    Oh Viv.............just went back and looked at yours................it's lovely and what colour is that paint on your units ? I love that sort of colour..........that would do my kitchen a treat.............tone in with the walls and curtains...........:j
    Mary

• vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    It was moss green...not sure what make. Actually it all needs another coat of paint but that will have to wait for a while. OH thought I was mad painting wooden cupboards but they were fairly tatty and needed something. Did originally about 4 yrs ago
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

• mary43
    Did mine about 5 years ago now.........might be more. I'd been to Good Homes Show at NEC and bought some colour wash in a sort of beige but now its looking a bit 'sad' - if you know what I mean.
    Its not a fitted kitchen, well not properly (OH put the cupboards in (old doors we found........lol) and we got a cheap free standing unit (bout 1930's) top and bottom .........separated the two so we had a gap for the kettle/toaster and tea and coffee jars.
    Our walls are a pale turqoise (sounds awful but its not really) and the curtains are same colour with cream/light brown.
    Was it Crown or Dulux paint or is it the sort I might get from Woolworths or somewhere like that ? I did get a lovely sage green for my bathroom door -darker than your cupboards though.
    Mary

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport