Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Morning

For some reason I now fancy mashed potatoes for breakfast :D
  • It is very yummy but roast potatoes are my favourite :)

Roast do it for me too!
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Love mashed potato with caramelised onion cheddar but for breakfast, it has to be potato bread!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Munchin wrote: »
    Morning

For some reason I now fancy mashed potatoes for breakfast :D

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Where would we be without the humble potato? :D A very cheap food too.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Good morning HHoD, i just want to de lurk and say how much i enjoy your diary - i have read the whole thing over the last few weeks and I am so sorry it has been such a rubbish few months for you. It was a roller coaster read - starting off on such a high of becoming debt free and then i was totally side swiped by your lovely mum's passing. It has made me treasure mine a little bit more.

Please please keep up Pilates I think it is important for your mental health.

I think I take after my auntie who always said she could eat one more potato than a pig!!

I will subscribe and keep popping by if that's ok?

Lots of love BB50 xx

• I'm a bit obsessive:o and when I commit to something have to go for it 100%. I let myself down frequently.

:j.

CBC, I know what you mean about letting oneself down. However, what works for me is saying,'I can always start again'. Especially works for trying to lose weight. Last time I lost some was over 5 years ago, and currently regular Tramadol helps with not binging as much. So, at 68, it's NOT too late to start again, and I've been losing a kilo a month, whilst not actually dieting.

HHOD, another one here agreeing with keeping up the Pilates. I guess you could treat yourself to a bought coffee once a month, but when you make it yourself, you make it just as you like it, so sometimes it's better than the coffee shop. Also you get to use your travel mug and feel smug for having something that is so useful !!
  • Good morning HHoD, i just want to de lurk and say how much i enjoy your diary - i have read the whole thing over the last few weeks and I am so sorry it has been such a rubbish few months for you. It was a roller coaster read - starting off on such a high of becoming debt free and then i was totally side swiped by your lovely mum's passing. It has made me treasure mine a little bit more.

Please please keep up Pilates I think it is important for your mental health.

I think I take after my auntie who always said she could eat one more potato than a pig!!

I will subscribe and keep popping by if that's ok?

Lots of love BB50 xx

Thank you for reading all my blatherings BB50. Thanks for subscribing and please do pop by.

It has been quite a year for us! It's very important to treasure your parents while you still can.

I love your aunt's saying :).
  • CBC, I know what you mean about letting oneself down. However, what works for me is saying,'I can always start again'. Especially works for trying to lose weight. Last time I lost some was over 5 years ago, and currently regular Tramadol helps with not binging as much. So, at 68, it's NOT too late to start again, and I've been losing a kilo a month, whilst not actually dieting.

HHOD, another one here agreeing with keeping up the Pilates. I guess you could treat yourself to a bought coffee once a month, but when you make it yourself, you make it just as you like it, so sometimes it's better than the coffee shop. Also you get to use your travel mug and feel smug for having something that is so useful !!

A very good point about starting again.

I must get into the mind set of feeling smug about saving money, instead of deprived because I'm not spending money. It requires a mental shift.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 October 2018 at 3:38PM
    A busy day so far. I went to Mr T with DH to do the food shop. £53 was spent :). This includes two Christmas tins with Oreos in for half price (£2.50 each) which will make good Christmas presents for DS1 and DS3 who love them. It also includes £4 on four boxes of half price Matchmakers, which will be Christmas presents for DH and the DC. At this rate that will be all they're getting!

So only £44 was spent on the actual week's food. I actually don't care if I eat beans on toast every night, as long as the bill is cheap.

Home for a quick sandwich, and then I went into town with DH who had a meeting and met my stepdad in Costalot for an hour, before he went to the hairdresser. He paid, so no money spent there.

I reached out to a friend recently who I had lost touch with and suggested meeting up for coffee. She suggested tonight in a pub, so I'm going out again tonight. I'll only buy one coffee or one coke, so it won't be too spendy.

The bad news is that NPow3r emailed to say our weekly payment is going up from £25 to £45. That's practically double. We can't afford that and I don't understand why they want to put it up that much. I'm going to ring them and say we can't afford it :(. This is because I gave them a meter reading the other day :(.

But we do need to use less gas and electricity. So I've decided to stop using the tumbler. It's going to be crispy towels from now on! But I do need a second clothes horse to replace the one we gave to DS3.

I'm also wondering about picking up cheap candles in charity shops so we can have less lights on. We definitely won't put the heating on before December. I've told DS1 to buy himself some thermal tee shirts as he tends to feel the cold. He'd warm up if he got off the sofa now and again mind you!

I could do without all this extra stress. We need to pay the car tax by the end of October or we'll have to take the car off the road, so that will empty our pockets again as it's £170 nearly :(. We don't have much coming in again at the moment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure