PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

False economy (merged threads)

Comments

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Don't forget to look out for Clarkes factory shops.

As a kid we went camping to Cornwall in summer every year and always came home via Street (in Somerset) to get school shoes for the next school year.

There are factory shops all over now and I always by my shoes from there (still use Clarkes if possible) I can't find a link for all of them but I know there is the one at Street, there is one at all the McArthur Glenn's in Livingston, York, Mansfield, Cheshire Oaks, Bridgend, Swindon and Ashford. There is also one in a town near me so have a look in the phone book. They are all called 'Clarkes factory shop' and they don't sell anything other than Clarkes.

I got suade winter boots for £35 and I've got leather summer shoes for £20 - £25 before.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think cheap pet food is a false economy, it just leads to digestive problems & other issues as they get older whic costs hundreds or more to treat. I do eek out good quality stuff with supermarket own brand but this is about a 4-1 ratio. Our cat & dog are the only ones who regualry get brand name food in our house!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Austin_Allegro
    Austin_Allegro Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Flea 72....I think I'm probably getting mixed up with shoes - these need to 'breathe' between wearings, or they tend to rot.

Either that or money saving has addled my brain... :o
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    The simplest way to economise on shoes is to make it a personal rule only to buy them when in the sales.

I don't think I've ever paid more than £25 for a pair of boots or shoes, and also I get them re-heeled and re-soled as soon as they start to wear down, which extends their life, as if they get too far gone they'd just get chucked out or left at the back of the wardrobe.

My favourite black ankle boots cost me £25 over 10 years ago, and have been repaired half a dozen times. They still look good.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Lillibet wrote:
    I think cheap pet food is a false economy, it just leads to digestive problems & other issues as they get older whic costs hundreds or more to treat. I do eek out good quality stuff with supermarket own brand but this is about a 4-1 ratio. Our cat & dog are the only ones who regualry get brand name food in our house!

I completely agree with you there :T

My two cats are getting on a bit now (11 & 12) and have been fed Hills Science Diet all their lives and have never needed to see a vet for anything other than when they were neutered!!! They'll probably go at some point this year for an old age MOT and blood screens but that will just be a routine visit hopefully crossfingers.gif
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• I agree with the comments on Clarks factory shops! Kids feet are so perfect and precious we should try and keep them that way as long as poss. We went to the full price Clark shops to get him sized properly and then got them either onsale or in the factory shops. Best bargains ever $5 each for 2 pairs and $7 each for 2 pairs. 4 new pairs of shoes for the price of one!
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I agree about kids shoes. Last year I got DS1 some new school shoes from Asda's - thought they'd only have to lst him 1 term before summer shoes, but boys don't wear sandals! Although they looked like Clarks type ie the double bit of leather across the front, within 3 weeks, he'd worn holes in the outer layer and no end of polishing made them look good. Learnt my lesson good and proper, I tell you. Clarks for school from now on. Even got Clarks trainers (sale of course)

I'm wary of the value meat in supermarkets - often lots of water added. If you have a george Foreman type grill, cook cheap bacon or pork chops and watch the water flood out. I'd rather buy decent meaty chops etc and get my water from the tap.
  • megasaver
    megasaver Posts: 162 Forumite
    I now get my dd's feet measured at Clarks and then hang on until they have a sale. In the past I used to buy shoes for her at car boots/charity shops.....(eg really expensive leather ones like Buckle my shoe ) but have been put off the idea by a friend. She told me that if the shoes have been worn a little by another child, they have already taken on the shape of that child's feet, so putting them on your child is really bad for their feet. I agree that it is a false econony.
  • Megasaver, I read an article in the 'Tightwad Gazette' where a chiropodist was interviewed and said that second hand shoes did no harm to children's feet, and that it was an old wive's tale that they mould to the wrong shape etc. I'd still be wary though - I've no problems with wearing second hand stuff as long as it can be thoroughly washed or dry cleaned - so for me, second hand shoes are out.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • mrsmab59
    mrsmab59 Posts: 166 Forumite
    I'm happy to buy most things second hand, but never footwear. I'd be too worried about us catching anything like athletes foot, verrucas and any other feet ailments.
    Use words that are soft and sweet in case you have to eat them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure