PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Gift Cupboard!

Comments

• Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    you're right toozie it does save on the stress

I always buy Xmas crackers, cards and wrapping paper in january and put it away in the attic when we take down the decs,

I always stuck to the £5 is the right value for a childs present so if I saw a good gift that was worth £5 but downpriced I grabbed it and knew I had saved money, but if the child was a special friend I would find a gift a gift downpriced to £5 and know they had had something a bit special
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes Glad, there's something extremly satisfying by giving a present worth £10.00 to a friend, when you've only paid £5.
    :j
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    One idea no one has mentioned so far is thebookpeople.co.uk

I got a set of 10 Jaqueline wilson books for £9.99 and each one made a very nice present for my 10 year old's friends.

They also do sets of 10 mystery or romantic novels for the same price from time to time so that can be useful for adults and they do great sets for younger children as well.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    You pair put me to shame! I do have a gift cupboard but the only thing is its all over the place and I never remember where I have put things and what I have bought?

Christmas 1999 I bought a Millennium £5 coin for my daughter's stocking, couldn't fine it to put in the bottom of her stocking and have STILL never found the thing! Probably just as well I haven't found it as she would just want to spend it :o

That sounds just like me. I always hide little presents in different places and then forget where they are and months later i'll suddenly discover them when looking for something else :rolleyes: :o
    Same old same old since 2008

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    A bathcube in a basket (the gift equivelent to a slap in the face)!

ROFLMAO!! I can think of a few people that would suit :D:o
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm rubbish at buying gifts & keeping them, I tend to buy them at the last minute. I do recycle unwanted gifts & will be giving my sister a girlie bubble bath/body "souffle" (Souffle - I ask you?) set for her birthday that is so not me, but she will love it. I also bought her a fab pair of funky blue stripy wellies reduced to £5 (from £20) in New Look. She's a dog walking village-dweller, so they will come in very handy.

I do buy cards well in advance - at the start of every month I buy enough cards & stamps to last me for that month. I try to use my &more M&S reward vouchers to buy cards, sadly this time there was only £1
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is the first year ever I have got a gift cupboard (or gift drawers lol) in my house and it's thanks to this site and you lot posting bargains. :)

Does anyone know how long make up keeps for though? I got a few cheapo sets from Boots but I'm now a bit worried they wont still be ok by Xmas.

Daughter went to friend's birthday party last week complete with lovely half price (or less - can't remember) action man gift set from Boots.

I got some junk mail the other day which included an offer to join a card club. If you join, you get 12 free assorted good quality cards, a nice box to store them in, a calendar sheet thing to write birthdays on and something else which I've forgotten right now.

You get sent so many cards every month and you can keep them or send them back. You can also opt out at any time and there's no minimum you need to buy.

Of course, being the good moneysaver I am, I shall accept my free cards, storage box etc and immediately cancel my membership. :)
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Sofa_Sogood
    Sofa_Sogood Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Queenies Gift Cupboard thread ... that I recommended to so many and lost!

So it's a shameless bump :D because it needs resurrecting :)
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    LOL - just came across this thread, having mentioned on OS 3/9 that today I wasgoing to sort out all my bargain purchase pressies into a storage box in the attic so that I know what I have and don't lose or forget items.

In fact, it's time to get our serious Xmas shopping heads on before the Nov/Dec price hikes.
  • Simba_25
    Simba_25 Posts: 329 Forumite
    What an excellent thread!! Ive never even considered having a gift cupboard before! But it is definately someting ill be sorting out for next year!

Some fab ideas in here too, thanks!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport