MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Gwyneth give the lady her reduced steak?

Options

Comments

• puddings_2
    puddings_2 Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Options
    if I worked in a supermrket and was given the yellow reductions gun, then I'd stick all the out of date things on a trolley, take them behind the scenes somewhere to mark them down in peace then bring them all out together to dump in the bargain betty corner.

Staff that try to do the reductions on the shop floor with a dozen biddies vulturing around them are unnecessarily making things difficult for themselves.
  • marriss
    Options
    I don't think she should as I think older people seem to expect anyone younger to defer to their wishes.

It would be usually good manners to give it to an elderly person but not sure I would.
  • Maat
    Maat Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The old lady could be lying of course, and if she was still interested in the product she should have been hanging onto it (one of the principal rules of shopping is that you never put down anything you might want until you've made your final decision on it). But it would be a kind thing to do to let the biddy have it and if you can afford to let it go then you probably should. No obligation but it'd make you feel good to think you'd helped someone probably less well off than you.
  • eeyorepace
    Options
    No, I would not give it up. It was not in the older ladies basket so was there for anyone to pick up and buy.
  • Saucepot
    Saucepot Posts: 12,322 Forumite
    Options
    I'd tell the old biddy to "p1ss off, treacle, it's dog eat dog"
    I wonder why it is, that young men are always cautioned against bad girls. Anyone can handle a bad girl. It's the good girls men should be warned against.-David Niven
  • justme
    justme Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Gwyneth should smile sweetly at the old lady, say " Mine now." and if the old lady complains, knee cap her.
  • Brambles
    Options
    Respect is earned. It does not just come with age. Everyone should be polite, demonstrate basic good manners. I have faced the wrath of the ninja granny shopper! The elderly shopper who thinks age gives her a right over everyone else. Not just on the knocked down counter, queue for the till and the carpark too. I have even had a walking stick waved in my face when she didn't get her own way.

In this scenario I would make a judgement based on how she behaved, but like many on this discussion I would say if she put it back on the shelf rather than in her basket its fair game.:think:
  • sunshineali
    Options
    I would expect an old lady to know that she needs to put bargains in her trolley/basket PDQ. However if she has her hands full and is unable to pick steak up then (she being greedy!!! haha)- maybe.
    S'pose it depends on what sort of mood I was in really.
    I have had plenty of experiences in supermarkets where people will actually rummage through the contents of YOUR TROLLEY and cherry pick through your selected items for anything that takes their eye!! I kid you not!! Recently I found some reduced plants in tesco which I placed in my trolley along with the usual toilet rolls, bread, milk etc etc and had to explain to a woman in her 40s that she was ferreting through my shopping. The plants were the only reduced item in a trolley full of regular priced stuff. Had I been faced with this dilema on that night I definately would have kept the steak for myself!
    IMHO old people are often as bad, if not worse, than younger shoppers.
    TIP:- If you leave your trolley unattended make sure you HIDE your bargain buys.
    I know the contents of my trolley are not technically mine until I have paid for them, and granted people can make a mistake, but its still irritating when people purposefully do that. Anybody else had people rummage thru their trolley in an attempt to nick your bargains????
  • Drewmac1
    Options
    Why would anyone even consider buying meat from a supermarket when there are so many great private butchers around the country?

Well hung matured beef tastes so much nicer than the pinky fresh supermarket fare.

BUY AT A BUTCHERS - and a q guild butcher is really the place to go.

So basically Gwyneth should just say to the old lady 'even at 50p this is not good value, come and i'll run you to the butchers'.
  • fabforty
    fabforty Posts: 809 Forumite
    Options
    Stampede wrote: »
    help .. why do I keep being asked to log in and re enter every time I try to 'go advanced' only to find my entry lost and having to retype it ?????

so I can't be bothered .. edited answer .. yes let her have the steak .. who cares if she's telling fib to get a bargain she didn't notice before you did.

Forgive me if this suggestion has been posted elsewhere, (or if I am posting this in the wrong place,) but I noticed a number of messages where the poster mentions that they typed a long message, attempted to post it, were then asked to log-in again, and as a result their original message has been lost forcing them to retype it. It kept happening to me - which is annoying to say the least - until my OH suggested a simple solution. Before hitting the post reply button, hi-light, right click on the mouse and copy, your message. Then post it in the usual way. If by chance, you find that you have been logged out and have to re log-in, all you need to do is right click and paste to retrieve your original message. It does actually work, and it saves you typing it all over again.
    PS - I hate it when he's right :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport