Endowment Misselling Complaints Deadline

Options

Comments

• Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just telephoned Standard Life to ask sone questions but they said I need to speak to the Halifax and gave me the number of their mortgage complaints. I asked for information to fill in the mortgage info section and they said it doesnt matter just put down the halifax as the lender and they will know. But it states on the form that if I don't fill in the form amnd just put down the Halifax they will just use the assumptions guide and it will not include exact circumstances and could be higher or lower than if i filled in the form fully which includes fixed, capped tracker rates percentage rates start and end dates, interest daily or annually and what type interest only or repayment... Is that right then shopuld I just put down thew Halifax and leave all the other bits to fill in then like the lady said in the complaints section at Halifax?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • Lady_K
    Options
    Dont know if it matters but I have not changed anything on the mortgage since I had it. I havent increased it or decreased it or moved house or anything
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • Lady_K
    Options
    Guess I must have confused everyone by being so confused myself :-/ coz no one has been able to advise me with any replies so far but I think I put the posts in the wrong place too maybe... Anyway I have sorted quite a few of the things out myself now, hoping I've done it right anyway...

I am just now waiting for the Halifax to get back in touch with me as they have to go back into the history to check if the fixed, capped, discounted tracker rates have changed over the 14 1/2 year duration so far of the endowment. It is actually on Halifax Variable but I'm not sure if I need to get this extra information if its nessasary... They said it would take 3 weeks minimum to do this but it is holding me up in filling out the form to send to Standard Life. I don't really want to do that unless it's absolutely nes
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    it isnt necessary, most of the endowment companies dealing with complaints are using the same product 'Mortgage fundamentals', which is also used by the ombudsmen and the fsa.

This product uses standard base rates, which mostly even out when matched against what you paid and what they charged, ie I didnt have all the papers for my interest changes over the years, L&G sent me the interest rate figures they used (Woolwich/Nationwide), I contacted Woolwich who sent me a list of figures, which where the same as L&G had used, the nationwide I have had capped/fixed rates, which where lower than the figures L&G used, but when I told L&G they said they werent bothered, they where quite happy to use the BVR (base value rate).

I would suggest you send of your form to Standard Life without further ado, they will probably delay any answer, you can always send the other info later on.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The lack of understanding of terms (MC 80 , sum assured etc) just goes to show the lack of understanding of the product- so if you don't know - state that
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • System
    Options
    Hello people.

I have worked for a company that undertakes mortgage endowment reviews for these large organisations. The first thing that I will say is that different organisations have different rules on their endowment reviewing and redress. As this has been a ground breaking review in this field following the Pensions Review, I got the feeling that it was the blind leading the blind....AN UNKNOWN TERRITORY. This has been testified by an announcement yesterday by the FSA that the reviews are not being carried out correctly. I will list the most important issues below.

1st. Complain to the company that sold you the Endowment, a letter preferably, containing references to risk- SEE POINT 3 below.
    2nd. Once you have reached a stage of your case being reviewed you will be sent a Endowment Mortgage Questionnaire. IT IS THIS TOGETHER WITH YOUR ORIGINAL FILE and complaint letter that they will focus on determining if there is a case of mis-selling. This questionnaire is basically asking about your knowledge of risk at the time and if you were offered alternatives to endowment mortgage. It is best to say that you wanted low level risk i.e 1 (on a scale of 1 to 10). It might be different in your original file at the time of selling but if that is missing, the reviewer will go on your questionnaire.
    3rd Important point- The review is based on 30 decision trees. The 3rd and 4th relate to risk. This (3rd) is one of the most important in determining if you understood the risk at the time it was sold. (ALWAYS refer to risk and that you were unaware of it in your letter complaint and Questionnaire.)
    Other important trees are 8- if the endowment ran into your retirement.
    ANOTHER IMPORTANT POINT- The amount of people that complain on the performance of their endowment is unbelievable. It is likely that you will NOT get your case redressed complaining about this. I saw many cases not being closed as they had only complained about performance when it is all about RISK. This is what you must complain about- that risk was not understood.

4th Redress is carried out using Mortgage Fundamentals software. I am only aware of this software being used and it calculates comparison to having a repayment mortgage over the period of the endowment mortgage.

5th CHASE CHASE CHASE. The Companies should be only taking 8 weeks to review your case or it can be taken to The Financial Ombudsman. You should get a letter during the review process. It is important you chase your provider as it is only by chasing continuously that you will get your case dealt with.

Hope this helps someone. Thanks for the site Martin- you are a legend- this is a very useful site- better than any financial advisor- great information.
  • foxxboy
    foxxboy Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks BULLNOTBEAR...You have really helped me to focus my response to Standard Life....

Very helpful summary

;)
    Non omne quod nitet aurum est
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HELP

I made a call to the endowment seller Prudential and they have sent a small questionaire asking basis for complaint, which person sold us the policy, etc

Cant possibly remember such things , should I just say that or do I need the mortgage file from them first?
    (have 2 weeks to send questionaire back)
    Have looked at WHICH site but doesn't say :)

Also original endowment complaint is on was sold to husband on his own then made joint

Does husband sign/fill in form alone as really he is the complainant

Please help if you can

TOTALLY CONFUSED :-/
  • System
    Options
    I was sold my 1st endowment in 1987 by a Mortgage Broker at an estate agents. He sold us one for Scottish Provident. Please advise who I can complain to as I am sure he is long gone.

Thanks
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Contact scottish provident and see how you get on ;D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income