MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Lofty hold out for his dream job?

Options

Comments

• smiley941
    Options
    Well I am Lofty!! (Well, same circumstance anyway).
    I graduated with an Accountancy degree last year and started work at a bureau in the payroll department in Dundee. Unfortunately, due to split with fiance I've found myself living with family in Cornwall looking for work down here in a similar role. But nothing!! Moved here end Jan and still no luck! So, to cut to the point (as I'm finding myself waffling already), I applied with the local Morrisons who are taking on 300 extra staff to cope with extension and busy summer period. My interview lasted 5 minutes!! They were polite and friendly but basically told me I was over qualified and would only stay with them until something better came along as they were only paying mim wage. I tried to explain I was happy with the wage and to be back in work but they refused to offer me anything due to my degree!! They said it would be a waste training someone and then losing them. Training to stack shelves?? Anyway, my point is this.... Always go for whatever work you can, swallow the pride and think positive, but, when you fill in application for this work, DO NOT admit to having a degree!!!! I know it's dishonest, but not necessarily a big lie when all you want is work again!!!!! (my first post, hope I didn't waffle too much):confused:
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    smiley941 wrote: »
    I graduated with an Accountancy degree last year and started work at a bureau in the payroll department in Dundee. Unfortunately, due to split with fiance I've found myself living with family in Cornwall looking for work down here in a similar role. But nothing!! Moved here end Jan and still no luck! So, to cut to the point (as I'm finding myself waffling already), I applied with the local Morrisons who are taking on 300 extra staff to cope with extension and busy summer period. My interview lasted 5 minutes!! They were polite and friendly but basically told me I was over qualified and would only stay with them until something better came along as they were only paying mim wage. I tried to explain I was happy with the wage and to be back in work but they refused to offer me anything due to my degree!! They said it would be a waste training someone and then losing them. Training to stack shelves?? Anyway, my point is this.... Always go for whatever work you can, swallow the pride and think positive, but, when you fill in application for this work, DO NOT admit to having a degree!!!! I know it's dishonest, but not necessarily a big lie when all you want is work again!!!!! (my first post, hope I didn't waffle too much):confused:
    thats a good way to get round the over qualified balls

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • wishface
    wishface Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Jenny wrote: »
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
    Should Lofty hold out for his dream job?

Lofty went to university as a mature student. He graduated last July, and has worked on and off, yet has still to secure a graduate-level job. The local supermarket has shelf stacking work, but after all that time and study, Lofty wants to hold out for work that uses his degree skills. Should he go on benefits while he waits for his dream job? (This was inspired by a Radio 5 phone-in).

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

threadbanner.gif
    That phone in was ridiculous. As usual, the typical ignorant radio 5 demographic fell into the predictable mindset of labelling the guy as a scrounger. People that think like this have the government in clover, they've fallen hook line and sinker for the propaganda spewed by the media on behalf of the state. Noticed all those adverts recently about benefit fraud (which has been at negligible levels for a few years now) 'we're watching you' - where is the advertising campaign against tax avoidance?

What should happen is the government and the state and the edcation system should help this guy use the skills he's learned to get a job. Why on earth should he get a rubbish job for a rubbish wage? How does that help anyone? Why should someone's life amount to shelf stacking? The whole 'paying your way' mentality is a joke. The system we have right now needs to change and people who buy into the capitalist mindset are only prolonging the inevitable. Does anyone really believe there is some kind of honour in taking such a job in this (or any) situation, in lowering one's expectations of life? There isnt at all.
  • wishface
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    He could try but he'd probably be sanctioned from claiming if he left his shelf stacking job voluntarily.
    What does that achieve? So you have someone with no money to buy food. Then, when they are ill, they go to the doctor and get signed off because they are too ill to work. Does anyone really think this stuff through?
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    smiley941 wrote: »

I can see your point on this - as obviously you will be doing just that. So - possibly it might be beneficial to lie by omission in these circumstances.

Just one snag - how does one explain what happened in that 3 year gap on the C.V. if you cant admit to having been to University?
  • wishface
    Options
    Habbie66 wrote: »
    My brother-in-law gave up a well paid skilled job to go to university. He got his degree and started applying for jobs. He went on benefits and kept applying for jobs that used his degree skills. That was 14 years ago and he hasn't worked since! For ten years he lived off his parents and got paid as their carer. During this time he also got several grants from the Benefits Agency to start his own business - which never got off the ground. For the last 4 years he has lived off his wealthy girlfriend. Should Lofty take the job - damn right he should.
    None of that explains why, just that you are bitter and jealous. That seems to inform people's thinking more than anything else. Why should people be compelled to work? Why not find them something they can enjoy doing as that leds to long term employment, better money (and more paid in taxes) and a better society.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wishface wrote: »
    That phone in was ridiculous. As usual, the typical ignorant radio 5 demographic fell into the predictable mindset of labelling the guy as a scrounger. People that think like this have the government in clover, they've fallen hook line and sinker for the propaganda spewed by the media on behalf of the state. Noticed all those adverts recently about benefit fraud (which has been at negligible levels for a few years now) 'we're watching you' - where is the advertising campaign against tax avoidance?

What should happen is the government and the state and the edcation system should help this guy use the skills he's learned to get a job. Why on earth should he get a rubbish job for a rubbish wage? How does that help anyone? Why should someone's life amount to shelf stacking? The whole 'paying your way' mentality is a joke. The system we have right now needs to change and people who buy into the capitalist mindset are only prolonging the inevitable. Does anyone really believe there is some kind of honour in taking such a job in this (or any) situation, in lowering one's expectations of life? There isnt at all.

Well....actually a valid point...particularly the bit:
    "WHERE IS THE ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN AGAINST TAX AVOIDANCE?"

I believe tax avoidance costs the country a LOT more money than benefit fraud - well....sauce for the goose as the phrase goes....
  • wishface
    Options
    robpw2 wrote: »
    thats a good way to get round the over qualified balls
    It's also utterly utterly ridiculous.
  • smiley941
    Options
    ;)Very good point Ceridwen !!!

It just leads to more lies doesn't it!! Maybe I'll just break down in tears next time and hang cuff myself to the table until they offer the work !!
  • Beavis98
    Options
    That was my scenario way back in 1980 - after a few weeks I joined a management training program, and I ended up staying with them for over 20 years, working as a senior manager in the buying department! It can't do any harm, and shows on your CV that you can do what it takes, and don't mind hard work. Even a few weeks experience of work looks better than nothing, and you never know what is round the corner, what opportunities will arise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure