PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Do you think they have planning permission for the creation in the back garden?

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/48819867?search_identifier=a9416c4ee3cd6cde792325682e13fd4b
    I think they were also living in the 'garage,' to say nothing of the caravan, so perhaps the 'play house' at the end of the garden is just to distract the eye.

What are the odds the buyer will get complete clearance of stuff when they take possession?

Maybe not a bad buy, though everything will have been bodged and its just the wrong side of the tracks...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Do you think they have planning permission for the creation in the back garden?

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/48819867?search_identifier=a9416c4ee3cd6cde792325682e13fd4b

Think it can be knocked down with a couple of finger prods
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ocelot wrote: »
    Also the name of the house gives it away too! It's been on the market for over a year so maybe people are wary.

Yeah, it's the same up river at Naburn Lock. They do sell though, some people are always prepared to take the risk and pay the insurance premium. Friend of mine pays £4k a year for house insurance due to previous flooding but where they live is beautiful.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • Davesnave
    Think it can be knocked down with a couple of finger prods
    Agreed, but I'm not using my finger!
    Are you volunteering?
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    I think they were also living in the 'garage,' to say nothing of the caravan, so perhaps the 'play house' at the end of the garden is just to distract the eye.

What are the odds the buyer will get complete clearance of stuff when they take possession?

Maybe not a bad buy, though everything will have been bodged and its just the wrong side of the tracks...

Okays - reasons why please -

- As I re-checked and couldn't see any evidence they were living in the garage

- Couldnt spot a caravan

I've checked the Street View and still none the wiser.
  • Davesnave
    edited 26 September 2018 at 9:24AM
    Okays - reasons why please -

- As I re-checked and couldn't see any evidence they were living in the garage

- Couldnt spot a caravan

I've checked the Street View and still none the wiser.
    There's a caravan, or maybe two, on my Street View and aerial views. The garage has actually been built to accommodate whatever lies behind it.

Maybe your Welsh Street View censors caravans. People living in Wales are, in my experience, dab hands at disguising caravans and ancilliary buildings used for residential purposes...;)

Anyway, folks don't usually build a gable into a garage to create an entrance hallway, as the added expense doesn't justify it, if it's just being used as a workshop/storage.

Hmmm, there again, one doesn't usually put two stories on a shed!

To me, it looks as if the residents have been working long-term on the house, but not making rapid progress. It's quite normal for people to live in temporary accommodation and just use the house loo and kitchen whilst the messy stuff goes on, but here it looks as though the messy stuff indoors never really got started....

I could be wrong.
  • I can definitely see what appears to be two caravans on the aerial view ;)

We know someone here in SW Wales that we believe might be intending to live in a well-disguised farm building.........and every other 'renovation project' seems to have at least one static parked alongside. Not ours, btw :D
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Davesnave
    There was an adult living in a caravan behind our barn when we viewed, and there's a different one there now, plumbed into the barn's services.

But I swear no one lives there more than 28 days per year :A Even when things became quite 'interesting' here with the roof off, we didn't feel tempted.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 26 September 2018 at 10:28AM
    Davesnave wrote: »
    There's a caravan, or maybe two, on my Street View and aerial views. The garage has actually been built to accommodate whatever lies behind it.

Maybe your Welsh Street View censors caravans. People living in Wales are, in my experience, dab hands at disguising caravans and ancilliary buildings used for residential purposes...;)

Anyway, folks don't usually build a gable into a garage to create an entrance hallway, as the added expense doesn't justify it, if it's just being used as a workshop/storage.

Hmmm, there again, one doesn't usually put two stories on a shed!

To me, it looks as if the residents have been working long-term on the house, but not making rapid progress. It's quite normal for people to live in temporary accommodation and just use the house loo and kitchen whilst the messy stuff goes on, but here it looks as though the messy stuff indoors never really got started....

I could be wrong.

Had to go off piste onto accessing Google Maps separately and then blowing up satellite view....ah...I could spot one caravan and that tatty fencing has probably been put up to hide it.

I know what you mean re caravans - I've certainly noticed some.

Still trying to figure out if that tall row of trees is the house in question or the neighbours - ie to block out sideways views. I've also discovered an element where I am personally of "I won't tell on you for x, if you don't tell on me for y" going on in my immediate vicinity (well it was till I moved here - with my standard/"law-abiding" outlook:rotfl::rotfl:). So the "unspoken social contract" breaks down the second when they try and "tell you what to do". Admits I was thoroughly puzzled as to why anyone would think they could play the "I'll tell you what to do" game in one breath and hope to "get away with things" nearby in the next breath....

Of course no-one would have time to grow tall trees to try and hide the view from above - also necessary now that drones are available I guess?? (unless local Councillors are biased.......).
  • Davesnave

Of course no-one would have time to grow tall trees to try and hide the view from above - also necessary now that drones are available I guess?? (unless local Councillors are biased.......).
    Umm...there are these satellite things, so GCHQ, DEFRA etc can access images that show an A4 sheet of paper in reasonable detail.

They only took 18 months to clock that I'd put up a plastic fence in the chicken run and add it to the Rural Payments Agency mapping!

Collecting data is one thing, but processing it all and acting on it is something else altogether, thankfully.

And I'm going to move the fence soon, just to keep 'em on their toes. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport