PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not doing too well this week, in that I can't tell you exactly how much I've spent today, between the market and a quick dash up to town for some decent bread. I have £57 less in my purse than I had before doing any shopping, and £7 of that was spent on a set of small pine shelves which were much-needed for the corner of the living room. So I've added £50 to my total - then realised what I forgot yesterday, which was butter. Luckily W8rose's 500g blocks are one of the cheapest ways of buying it locally, so I'll just stock up there rather than taking a trip down to the city to buy some.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    I'm hopeless at keeping receipts and adding them up so I'm going to work in reverse and calculate what I've spent by what I transfer to savings. This week I added £10 to the savings purse so that means I have spent £60 (there were some coins also left in my purse but I just leave them there for the following week).

CRANKY40 and others who have a difficult time keeping track: would photographing the receipts as soon as you get them in your hand be useful for you? As in, as soon a second you check out with the cashier, move your trolley/goods off to the side and take a photo of the receipt. That way you’ll also have a digital copy to upload to different voucher apps to get money back, points, etc.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,761 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CRANKY40 and others who have a difficult time keeping track: would photographing the receipts as soon as you get them in your hand be useful for you?

I usually use a different purse and keep the food money separate. For some reason I didn't do that last week - I think it's because we went on an unexpected outing on Sunday and I just took as much money as I could gather together from round the house. My grocery purse is sitting in front of me on the table so you've just reminded me to do that :)
  • CRANKY40
    Options
    £63.30 spent today. Cat food is stocked up and I bought some ice cream for the freezer so that will last a while. Shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste all done. There is definitely no room for anything else in the freezer so no more shopping this week. There's bananas and satsumas in the fruit bowl and apples and raspberries in the fridge so plenty of fruit and there's enough salad stuff in the fridge for all week. I'd now like to go through the rest of the month spending as little as possible. I will still need cat litter and some fresh stuff.

I need to update my freezer inventory but that can wait until there's room to move things around. I'm following (or trying to) the slimming world plan but I've also started the couch to 5k app and on the running days I seem to be more hungry although that could be all in my mind. I'm doing each week twice as I'm overweight and asthmatic but the couch to 5k is still doable. If anyone has any tips on nutrition for an apprentice runner I'd love to hear them.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Found a good way to curb spending, lose your purse, went to find this morning, tore house and car apart, stopped all my cards, intended to go to get some shopping and some compost with a neighbour, she subbed me for compost, no shopping, didn`t really require anything anyway, had been to a cremation yesterday, so rang them yes they have my purse, did have contact details inside, but they didn`t, so no spending until all new cards come probably about Friday as a bank holiday weekend too.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    We followed this recipe today, from the recipe index in post #4: Bean curry (slowcooker).

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=24741253&postcount=192

The recipe suggested about 2 pints of water. So far only 1 pint has gone in with the other ingredients but it is still very watery. More of a soup than a curry. Will see what it is like once it's cooked. Does taste nice though and the bonus is, all the ingredients were in stock so I didn't have to buy anything.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Popped to Aldi twice today £14.52 and £2.38 for roast dinner things:

Current Totals: £121.84/300
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    First spend of the month at Lidl £38.56/150, got everything I needed for the week including BBQ Briquettes.

Came home and made a raised layered pie using meat from the freezer (turkey, ham, sausagemeat) plus bits and pieces from the cupboard (apricots, dried cranberries, herbs) It's quite expensive to make so I only do it about twice a year but it's so much cheaper and nicer than the slices you can buy in the supermarket. I had to wait until now until it was reasonably cold to add the reduced stock which will set to jelly. That's tomorrows's tea sorted with a salad, the rest I'll slice and freeze :)
  • CRANKY40
    Options
    pipkin71 wrote: »
    We followed this recipe today, from the recipe index in post #4: Bean curry (slowcooker).

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=24741253&postcount=192

The recipe suggested about 2 pints of water. So far only 1 pint has gone in with the other ingredients but it is still very watery. More of a soup than a curry. Will see what it is like once it's cooked. Does taste nice though and the bonus is, all the ingredients were in stock so I didn't have to buy anything.

If I make curry using tinned tomatoes as the base then usually just adding another half tin of water is enough. I suppose it depends on how much other stuff you're adding.........
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    If I make curry using tinned tomatoes as the base then usually just adding another half tin of water is enough. I suppose it depends on how much other stuff you're adding.........

Yes, the suggested two pints would have been far too much water. Even with a pint, I would say it is a soup instead of a curry but it tastes lovely, so next time will add a fraction of the water to it :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure