Put away your purse & become debt-averse

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    I wonder why you don't get on with meal planning? Do you think it's that thing where we can find our minds go blank when confronted with an empty sheet of paper? I

Not really, I do better with the protein of the day approach - eg next 4 wednesdays are something mince based. I know I need to get mince out to defrost and that I need 4 packs of mince when I go to the butchers but I don't do very well the specifics of meatballs, chilli, bolognese, etc. I have tried proper planning but lose the list or I ignore the list or OH resists the list :o
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Lol - Redofromstart.....that made me laugh, about your OH 'resisting the list'. I try to involve mine in meal planning as he loves his food & he likes to cook at least a couple of nights a week, but when we're chatting through the meal plan, I can tell he's visualising his plate to assess whether he thinks it'll be enough food!
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Toni's friend - I love my slow cooker. Wouldn't you just know I bought one, then a couple of weeks later I won one for getting one of my recipes published in a magazine.
    I've done all kind of stews in it, plus steak & kidney, chillies, pulled pork, pulled burrito beef, sausage casserole, curries, soups, etc. It's useful for long slow cooking of old-fashioned cheaper cuts - i.e ham hock, beef shanks, beef cheek, oxtail, etc. I know not everyone gets on with them, but I've really taken to mine & coming home to a hot ready-cooked meal is great after a busy day.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks. Foxgloves. I am going to give it a go. The boy even bought me a slow cooker cookery book (purely self reason, I suspect. He quite fancies some of the recipies!)
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    tonisfriend I would secon use of a sc. just remember to get meat out of freezer a day earlier if your putting it in sc rather than morn8ng of the meal. I made a sponge pudding in mine last week and I do a suet role poly in it too. I also cooked my Christmas ham in it this year for the first time.

It's also good if you've got people eating at different times. I.e. make a bolegnase sauce in the morning in it and people can just have it when then neeed later in the day.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Thank you, Purple Fairy. I am going to make something next week - probably bolognese. No point in it sitting there doing nothing. I didn't realize it was so versatile.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    We love meal planning here too. Although we tend to plan c10 meals at a time and then pick on the day (or day before what we're having) that works better than avoiding the list if on the day you don't fancy what you've planned. If we get unplanned leftovers they either get used for lunches, frozen or eaten the next day and the remaining meals get deferred.

Like foxgloves, I shop from home first and often buy meat or fish boxes (that are good value) and use that for inspiration by putting the ingredient into bbcgoodfood and then if we like it I save it to my recipes on there. If my list feels a bit samey I go back through my recipes for inspiration.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Thank you, Purple Fairy. I am going to make something next week - probably bolognese. No point in it sitting there doing nothing. I didn't realize it was so versatile.

You just need to work out what works best. I personally prefer to fry my mince in a pan first and only add mushrooms about 30 minutes before the end or the go squishy. A lot less liquid evaporates than in a pan.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Thank you for that tip. Purple Fairy. I'll adapt my recipe accordingly and I'll let you know how I get on.
  • Honeybug
    Honeybug Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Just subscribed. Sounds right up my street!
    I second and third the slow cook pot. I have two and on a bulk cook day they are worth their weight in gold. I then just portion up and freeze.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback