Quartz worktops

Comments

• Sausage11
    Sausage11 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We used Cawdor in Knebworth. We have a white flecked with a darker colour. I would recommend them. They also have a good showroom.

http://www.cawdorstonegallery.co.uk/quartz-worktops/

One tip. I would not order the worktops through your kitchen supplier. We used Kitchen Ergonomics in Stevenage and although I would recommend them they added quite a bit on for going through Cawdor for the quartz - something we could easily have done directly.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I have sent off several online requests for quotes, and am also looking ar Corian.

I have a while to make up my mind as I won't be ready to template for about a month.
  • I have just installed new kitchen doors from diy kitchens,they are local to me and a great company.

For my quartz worktop I am using Mayfair granite.Its an online company based in bradford.
    Great prices and reviews.
    I had my templating done yesterday.
    Iv gone with silestone blanco zeus extreme.
  • Annie1960
    I've had a look on the lunastone website, and it states you must not stand on the quartz worktop.

In the past people have stood on my worktops to do things such as hang blinds. How can the blinds be hung or cleaned if you can't use the worktop to reach?
  • bethl79
    bethl79 Posts: 148 Forumite
    We have silestone, it was installed in October and still looks great, no stains or anything though we are quite careful to wipe things off quickly just in case. We got our kitchen from diy kitchens, but it was actually cheaper by about £500 to use a local worktop company, so it's probably worth shopping around for some more quotes.
  • I've got Silestone - in one of the pale colours.

Very early days in my case - as the kitchen has only recently been finished.

I'd be interested to know if the Silestone sample is one of the easier ones to clean tumeric off - just in case. I use tumeric, red wine and pomegranite in my kitchen.

I'm being rather careful with it - so far so good.

I was told that no-one was to stand on my worktops. When I asked for further details on that (as I had stood on my previous laminate worktops a couple of times) I was told that what that meant was "No-one is to stand on something put on top of the worktop that might have grit or something on it - in case they then move around and the grit slides across the worksurface and scratches it".

From that - I took it that one can stand on the worksurface if required as per normal - as long as you have bare feet or clean socks on and havent put anything that might be scratchy underneath your feet.

BTW - I was told that Silestone is one of the ones that don't come from China. It's from Spain.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite

I was told that no-one was to stand on my worktops. When I asked for further details on that (as I had stood on my previous laminate worktops a couple of times) I was told that what that meant was "No-one is to stand on something put on top of the worktop that might have grit or something on it - in case they then move around and the grit slides across the worksurface and scratches it".

From that - I took it that one can stand on the worksurface if required as per normal - as long as you have bare feet or clean socks on and havent put anything that might be scratchy underneath your feet.

I have come across quartz worktops that have cracked through because somebody has stood on them. Was your person who answered your question giving a truthful answer?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 15 May 2017 at 7:50AM
    Does that depend on the quality of the quartz do you think? - or would it happen to any quartz worktop?

Think I shall ensure greater care is taken then in future in that respect - in case...

Just as well I know that before I get the blind I require for my kitchen window put up I guess.....now wondering how the curtain firm is going to do this? (as the window concerned is just behind my quartz kitchen sink).
  • Annie1960

now wondering how the curtain firm is going to do this? (as the window concerned is just behind my quartz kitchen sink).

Exactly what I was wondering.

Does anyone have a solution?
  • Annie1960 wrote: »
    Exactly what I was wondering.

Does anyone have a solution?

Just as well for us to be thinking of this in advance Annie.

I shall certainly make sure I know exactly how this should be done and repeat firmly if need be - after recent experience of a workman not listening to me telling him how a particular task should be done and doing some damage as a consequence (for which HE will be paying - so that should teach him not to ignore what someone says in future just because they're a woman:cool:).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure