Add your feedback on energy supplier Tonik

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    @brizzie I won’t copy and paste. If a consumer is on a fixed price tariff and the losing supplier is notified via industry procedures that a transfer has been initiated in the period ‘end of fixed contract plus 20 days’, then tariff price protection applies provided that the actual transfer goes ahead within a reasonable period of time. Even if the losing supplier transfers you to its variable tariff, a credit has to be made to your account.

A ‘reasonable period’ is not defined but as suppliers have 35 days from receipt of an application to switch to takeover a supply then this is a good starting point. It follows that you should have price protection up to 55 days after a tariff change date depending on when the losing supplier was notified of a transfer in progress.

Qn: on what date did you actually apply to switch suppliers?

Finally, it is worth pointing out that most of the smaller suppliers are little more than a person with a laptop and a few elves. For example, according to its annual report, Iresa with 70k+ customers had an average staff count of 18 in 2016. GBEnergy, when it went bust in 2016, had over a 150k customers and 25 staff.
  • Hengus, I'm sorry, I was simply relaying an experience for the benefit of others rather than asking for assistance or information but I appreciate the time you have spent trying to help.

Thank you for sharing that information though, which I am sure will be useful to others, although it doesn't make me any happier with Tonik. I don't really want to mess about trying to reclaim tariff credits from the existing supplier. That isn't going to happen now because they have acknowledged the switch to another supplier (ESB) before my existing tariff expires, so I won't be moved to the variable one.

I always put a note in my Outlook diary for the exact earliest date from which I can initiate a move according to the wording in the contract. I am very experienced at switching energy suppliers and have done it every contract renewal since we were allowed to choose to go somewhere other than BG and Norweb (in my case). I've been with smaller players before, sometimes a positive experience, other times not so positive. Co-operative Energy was the worst I think, an absolute nightmare. Extra Energy have been good but their deal is not as competitive as it was a year ago.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I guess you get what you pay for, and maybe why the MSE CEC endorsed a big-6 as their deal because you would think larger organisations can cope better with problems, though not necessarily true. Yes you would hope that they have software in place to check progress and highlight exceptions where human intervention might be needed. I guess it depends how much expertise the new small companies have, or whether they have simply got a license and setting up a small call centre to deal with calls and relying on email and web to do the bulk of it.
  • syncline
    syncline Posts: 17 Forumite
    Just a heads up about possible exit fees.

Not long before Christmas I tried to switch to Tonik Positively Green v5 Fixed.

When I had a look at their Terms and Conditions, I noticed that the terms implied to me that there is an exit fee (I don't have the wording to hand, unfortunately). This seemed in contradiction to what was suggested elsewhere (both on MSE and on Tonik's website I think? again I don't have those details to hand).

Though the details of the possible fee were unclear to me from the T&Cs, rather than chase that up, I ended up going with avroenergy.
  • I'm just in the process of switching to Tonik from First Utility, and thankfully, I've had none of the problems mentioned by some. My switch date is actually tomorrow, exactly 3 weeks after I initiated the switch, and I've had emails from both suppliers confirming that everything is going ahead as planned.

Tonik worked out as 1 of the best deals for me. Bulb would have been cheaper, but I didn't want to be on a variable tariff. Hopefully Tonik will stick around for a while, or at least the next 12 months! This is my first time moving away from the well known energy companies, but the price was just too good to miss, and the promise of 3% interest on credit balances, when I've been as much as £200 in credit with First Utility over the last 12 months!
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    @syncline - the T&C talk about exit fee, is is £0 i.e. zero so no fee but I guess they have done that so that if a future tariff has one they don't need to amend T&C (at a guess, unless its simply generic T&C they are using)

@shortie87 my bill each month includes interest paid to me, i.e. they take the DD, it is used up that month and have a "live balance" and give you the interest the next statement. So I give my meter readings each month and so get monthly statements with interest paid for the money I had in credit
  • Bin_Boy
    Bin_Boy Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Switched from SEE to Tonik in November, and it was a completely seemless experience. I like their website which was easy to use and the live balance feature was great. Also contacted their customer services a few times (sometimes just for general inane queries like what is your energy mix) and hey we’re alwags quick to respond, polite and helpful.

I’ve recently decided to switch supplier solely because of a better tariff and the need to budget a bit better and even on leaving I received a courteous good bye e-mail.

I think these are the little touches that make good customer service. Overall I’ve been really impressed, if it weren’t for the need to save money I would remain a customer and I would definitely recommend Tonik to others and use them again.
    Save £12k in 2012 no.34 £650/£12,000
  • laroc
    laroc Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Back in March 2017, I asked when Smart Meters were being fitted - informed the summer
    This is for my elderly father-in-law who is unable to read an analogue meter
    Summer asked again to be told the Autumn
    December 2018 asked again to be told commencing Jan 2018

Now I see on the web from the list of suppliers that are fitting Smart Meters, Tonik is not listed
    No problems with billing etc, but after waiting nearly 10 months its time to jump ship to someone who wont keep fobbing me off
  • syncline
    syncline Posts: 17 Forumite
    nic_c wrote: »
    @syncline - the T&C talk about exit fee, is is £0 i.e. zero so no fee but I guess they have done that so that if a future tariff has one they don't need to amend T&C (at a guess, unless its simply generic T&C they are using)
    That wasn't my interpretation. I don't know who is right.
  • Energy switch to Tonik went smoothly, billing all seems fine, very happy, unlike my broadband switch to Origin which has been a nightmare.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback